• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank your country's commentary team

YorksLanka

Will list out the best of each country and try and rate them (and by each country I mean where they ply their trade most often and where that is ambiguous their country of representation):

England - Holding - straightforward, no-nonsense and a baritone to die for - 8/10. I have always found N Hussain and Atherton to be rather pricks with a condescending note.
Australia - Bill Lawry - 5/10 - Yeah sort of sums up the state of affairs of Channel 9 commentary team. Ian Healy is like the Ed Wood of cricketing commentary. So bad he's good.
WI - Ian Bishop - 6/10. Again a bit of bias here maybe, as I really used to like and sympathise with his career.
Ind - Sunil Gavaskar - 6/10. Again sums up the direness of the commentators largely there. Gavaskar might be one sided but generally he offers some insights. Also he does not try to imitate western commentators like wannabe subcontinent ones want to.
Pakistan - Dire dire dire. Nobody really to rate.
SL - Lol
Bangladesh - LMAO
SA- Shaun Pollock - 5/10 - Might be not exactly a stand out commentator but at least he is not ridiculous.
Zim - :?
NZ - need to think on this.
Russell Arnold is turning into a very good commentator..

Zinzan

ian bishop, russell arnold and waqar younis in the box would be so gun
Lol what? Waqar's one of the worst ever imho

I'll happily take the commentary team of Nasser Hussain, Michael Vaughan, Barry Richards, Jeremy Coney, Geoff Boycott & Sourav Ganguly rotating on TV or radio ...

Ian Bishop is solid I suppose, without being particularly interesting and Russell Arnold is just too predictable for mine after you've heard him in one series.

vcs

I used to find Boycott to be over-critical of bowlers. He'd say things like "You just can't bowl that line/length to him" without giving the batsman any credit for manipulating the field, or forcing the bowler to adjust his line/length with his previous shot.

indiaholic

Probably mentioned it a few dozen times but **** Laxman's commentary. If he keeps on getting these gigs, I will genuinely start hating him and that is a tragedy.

Makes me realize how grateful I am that Tendulkar has not started doing this yet.

Stace

That Australian Lisa at the U19 WC absolutely drives me crazy, she has the most annoying voice she sounds like she is complaining the whole time. I feel sorry for her husband/boyfriend if she has one.

91Jmay

Nah, wife beating prick. **** him, there are loads of ****wits in the country - popularity is no cloak from arseholery.

Zinzan

I was talking about the commentary team I'd like to listen to, I wasn't judging the husband of the year competition.

wellAlbidarned

I feel like commentators are bad because they're forced into a role very few people are good at where you talk more or less non stop and try to fill space. If commentators were allowed to leave more space and only say stuff when they actually have things to say we'd see a massive improvement in commentary from many of the names listed here.

Gnske

Two seems to be perfect most of the time, the Sky UK method of having a third in the background occasionally popping in to point out a game plan in motion, technique issues etc. works pretty well.

OverratedSanity

Probably mentioned it a few dozen times but **** Laxman's commentary. If he keeps on getting these gigs, I will genuinely start hating him and that is a tragedy.

Makes me realize how grateful I am that Tendulkar has not started doing this yet.
Sadly true. I just mute when vvs comes on. Shane, really, since the other great batsmen of that generation Dravid and Ganguly are superb in the box.