• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Say Featherstonehaugh

BoyBrumby

Englishman
English is full of these, especially in place names and (generally) posh people's names.

It doesn't even register because I'm so used to it but if I didn't know "Leicester" is pronounced "Less-ter" or "Worcester" is "wuss-ter" there's small chance I would guess.

Although sometimes I think this is done just to annoy Americans. I once saw one of those ghastly "Americans try to pronounce English place names" videos on YouTube (I'm not proud, but I was bored) and the English bird who was laughing at her seppo chum reckoned "Godmanchester" (a little place about 20 miles from where I live) was pronounced "Gum-ster".

I can confirm it isn't; it's pronounced as it's spelt, "God-man-chester".

Even my home town confuses outsiders. How would non-UK readers say "Ely"?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Oh, how did an 'ear' got into the mix?
Buggered if I know!

The fen accent is one of those dialects that lengthens and smooths certain vowel sounds.

Hard "e" and "ah" sounds both come out as something close to "ear". So in broad fen words like "beer" & "bear", and "year" and "yeah" are effectively indistinguishable to outsiders.

fredfertang

Buggered if I know!

The fen accent is one of those dialects that lengthens and smooths certain vowel sounds.

Hard "e" and "ah" sounds both come out as something close to "ear". So in broad fen words like "beer" & "bear", and "year" and "yeah" are effectively indistinguishable to outsiders.
As a fen dweller Brumbers are you able to confirm whether your kind are prone to deformed noses, or was that another of my Uncle Stan's silly stories?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As a fen dweller Brumbers are you able to confirm whether your kind are prone to deformed noses, or was that another of my Uncle Stan's silly stories?
Never heard that one, to be fair, but I am more than averagely gifted in the probocsis department, so maybe?