• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Suggest some thing better than current Domocracy in India

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What we are seeing today is leaders getting elected and being there for five years and minting money. There are so many elections like local elections state elections country elections. Lots of money spent on ads etc by various parties. Now any one can fund any party in complete secrecy as per new law. How do we improve our system so that politicians are accountable?

harsh.ag

Don't think any one has managed to keep money out of politics anywhere.

One thing is important for India though, and not just because of the politicians' abuse of power. Greatly expand the justice system. More courts, more judges, more prosecutors, more public defenders, more policemen, more detectives, all of them getting higher salaries.

Will have to divert funds from somewhere for that to happen though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Better than domocracy eh? Democracy probably.

Failing that, probably best just to close the place down.

watson

Banned
Democracy only works in specific types of societies and is probably a benign waste of time for most countries. Sometimes it is even wholly destructive.

I'm not sure how democracy fits into Indian society. With the inevitable succession of Hindu Nationalist parties I suspect that it is a waste of time.

Shri

Democracy only works in specific types of societies and is probably a benign waste of time for most countries. Sometimes it is even wholly destructive.

I'm not sure how democracy fits into Indian society. With the inevitable succession of Hindu Nationalist parties I suspect that it is a waste of time.
Democracy in its current form has been around since 1870 and India has had it since 1947, for 70 years. Do you ever stop and think while pulling **** out of your ass?

the big bambino

Democracy isn't waste of time but rather a good investment of it. Every alternative is waste of time and lives. That's not to say it can be droned onto an unready or unwilling people.

honestbharani

So,nuch.wrong.with.this.post.

PEWS liking it a close #2 though.

Raghav

A Big country like India with so much diversity around is always hard for any type of governance!

Dan

Global Moderator
I still think India's greatest challenges are in the institutional environment and political culture, rather than the system of government per se. Things like the Supreme Court seeming to be a de facto legislator (thou shalt not serve alcohol within 500m of a highway, thou shalt stand for the national anthem at the movies etc.), and the political climate seeming to be a clash of the rent-seekers trying to gain the power of the state to benefit them.

Throw in the myriad cultural differences across the country and the sheer scale of Democracy in India -- combined with the mass poverty and low literacy rates meaning that people are, uhh, probably not quite as engaged with politics as they would be if they had food security and decent education -- and there's a lot of challenges to overcome. Seems to be moving in a decent direction though.

Question for the Indian posters here -- what's the public service like over there? Where does it sit on a spectrum from professionalised and stable irrespective of controlling party to abject rent-seeking cronyism?

Spark

Global Moderator
I still think India's greatest challenges are in the institutional environment and political culture, rather than the system of government per se. Things like the Supreme Court seeming to be a de facto legislator (thou shalt not serve alcohol within 500m of a highway, thou shalt stand for the national anthem at the movies etc.), and the political climate seeming to be a clash of the rent-seekers trying to gain the power of the state to benefit them.

Throw in the myriad cultural differences across the country and the sheer scale of Democracy in India -- combined with the mass poverty and low literacy rates meaning that people are, uhh, probably not quite as engaged with politics as they would be if they had food security and decent education -- and there's a lot of challenges to overcome. Seems to be moving in a decent direction though.

Question for the Indian posters here -- what's the public service like over there? Where does it sit on a spectrum from professionalised and stable irrespective of controlling party to abject rent-seeking cronyism?
I don't see the distinction here.

harsh.ag

Stable in its unprofessionalism and always bent towards rent-seeking cronyism.

India doesn't have a party which thinks in terms of free markets. BJP is basically a more efficient form of Congress when it comes to policy making. They just talk about "investment" more, but don't do anything towards it, either out of ignorance or incapability or both.