• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Suggest some thing better than current Domocracy in India

Dan

Global Moderator
I don't see the distinction here.
I'm attempting to push back against the 'bin democracy' posts. The whole democracy thing isn't the issue; India's just still a little bit **** at it from what I can tell (admittedly from afar).

vcs

TBF, for a large and extremely diverse country with rampant poverty and illiteracy, we aren't doing that bad.

Democracy always seems a bit ****, until you compare it to the options. I'm not too well informed about politics, but the Congress really seems to be ****ed ATM with the Gandhi sycophancy and **** leadership. There's a distinct lack of credible opposition to the BJP at a national level.

indiaholic

I still think India's greatest challenges are in the institutional environment and political culture, rather than the system of government per se. Things like the Supreme Court seeming to be a de facto legislator (thou shalt not serve alcohol within 500m of a highway, thou shalt stand for the national anthem at the movies etc.), and the political climate seeming to be a clash of the rent-seekers trying to gain the power of the state to benefit them.

Throw in the myriad cultural differences across the country and the sheer scale of Democracy in India -- combined with the mass poverty and low literacy rates meaning that people are, uhh, probably not quite as engaged with politics as they would be if they had food security and decent education -- and there's a lot of challenges to overcome. Seems to be moving in a decent direction though.

Question for the Indian posters here -- what's the public service like over there? Where does it sit on a spectrum from professionalised and stable irrespective of controlling party to abject rent-seeking cronyism?
Mostly abysmal but there are huge variations among different states and within various regions in the state.

Anil

TBF, for a large and extremely diverse country with rampant poverty and illiteracy, we aren't doing that bad.

Democracy always seems a bit ****, until you compare it to the options. I'm not too well informed about politics, but the Congress really seems to be ****ed ATM with the Gandhi sycophancy and **** leadership. There's a distinct lack of credible opposition to the BJP at a national level.
Completely agree with your post. Can't we call it the Nehru family sycophancy instead of the Gandhi sycophancy? :)

Also it looks like we have finally established that democracy is better than domocracy

Last edited:

vcs

Completely agree with your post. Can't we call it the Nehru family sycophancy instead of the Gandhi sycophancy? :)

Also it looks like we have finally established that democracy is better than domocracy
Yes.. the real Gandhi should never be associated with these frauds..

honestbharani

A country as large as ours will always end up a bureaucracy and that lends itself so much to corruption and cronyism and other such stuff. Worst part is it s usually at the cost of efficiency. But then again most of the world falls under the same bucket. It just looks worse because of the amount of illiteracy and poverty in India.