• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The African News and Politics Thread

MrPrez

We will find out when he selects his cabinet. If he reduces it like he said he would and gets rid of the problems, he will have show he is in control of the party (at least enough) to start taking action. If the cabinet stays large and their are rotten apples then nothing will change any time soon (or ever).

What is always of concern though is what pressure the EFF will put onto policy. And from a personally point of view it is worrying for me to see the FF+ grow so considerably.
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/cabinet-could-be-reduced-by-as-many-as-nine-departments-and-15-deputy-ministries-20190514

Good signs.

Agreed re both EFF and FF+. I'm not even vehemently against the FF+ in terms of policy; it's more a case of fringe parties that are attractive to more radical voters gaining traction.

The last thing SA needs is a rise in radicalism. We're in a precarious social position as it is.

trundler

Absolutely heart-wrenching to read about what's going on in Sudan right now. Just dismal. No one gives a **** about Yemen either. ****ed up.

andruid

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-48668941

I went onto BBC hoping there was some new news story to keep track of, but Mohammad Morsi's death wasn't what I was expecting.
A facebook friend of mine went typed out a status rant about how Morsi was the only democratically elected Arab leader in history, and I was wondering why on earth is he suddenly throwing a fit about Morsi out of the blue. So this is the reason? Murder perhaps?

andmark

A facebook friend of mine went typed out a status rant about how Morsi was the only democratically elected Arab leader in history, and I was wondering why on earth is he suddenly throwing a fit about Morsi out of the blue. So this is the reason? Murder perhaps?
Dying during a trial is suspicious timing. If it is murder, I'm not sure we'll find out within the next few years given who may be involved.

Spark

Global Moderator
There seems to be an attempted coup d'etat underway in Ethiopia? wtf is going on there

StephenZA

There seems to be an attempted coup d'etat underway in Ethiopia? wtf is going on there
Basically trying to transition from a authoritarian military run state to a full democracy. About a year ago a new leader was brought into power to allow this transition to happen, following about 2-3 years of unrest and protest, with a quite violent backlash. Unfortunately it has huge ethnic divides and it will probably, like always, take time. This is probably another attempt by the old regime to try regain some power we will see.

theconversation_how-change-happened-in-ethiopia-a-review-of-how-abiy-rose-to-power

andruid

Basically trying to transition from a authoritarian military run state to a full democracy. About a year ago a new leader was brought into power to allow this transition to happen, following about 2-3 years of unrest and protest, with a quite violent backlash. Unfortunately it has huge ethnic divides and it will probably, like always, take time. This is probably another attempt by the old regime to try regain some power we will see.

theconversation_how-change-happened-in-ethiopia-a-review-of-how-abiy-rose-to-power
nIndeed it seems to be a backlash against a reformist PM, as details in this article indicate that there has been a bit of friction between the new PM's office and the military