• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The American Politics thread

Uppercut

Surely a police service that was invested in the well being of all communities in Northern Ireland (no laughing at the back) would be ideal?
Yeah of course but individual police can't work the area where they live. Would constantly have their families threatened by paramilitaries and stuff.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah of course but individual police can't work the area where they live. Would constantly have their families threatened by paramilitaries and stuff.
I don't know anything about the situation over there, but can't the paramilitaries, you know, drive over to the next town where the cops live and do the threatening?

Niall

Can't believe a president pardoned someone he probably shouldn't have. Has this ever happened before?:laugh:

grecian

I don't get Niall's sarcasm here, he's just commuted a guy, probably because Stone didn't give him up in the Investigation. in fact that's why Stone asked for clemency, it's ridiculous how so many want to make this a nothing story, it's probably impeachable again.Name another Pres that has done something comparable?

Look I get some of the criticism of Trump is pointless and hyperbolic, but on this one, it's just the fact he's normalised this crap so much, people are calling it a nothing-burger.

Anil

I don't get Niall's sarcasm here, he's just commuted a guy, probably because Stone didn't give him up in the Investigation. in fact that's why Stone asked for clemency, it's ridiculous how so many want to make this a nothing story, it's probably impeachable again.Name another Pres that has done something comparable?

Look I get some of the criticism of Trump is pointless and hyperbolic, but on this one, it's just the fact he's normalised this crap so much, people are calling it a nothing-burger.
yes i was trying to figure out the point of that post too...it's par for the course for trump but dismissing it as a not worthy of criticism or discussion is almost as egregious in my opinion...although i am not sure about there being nothing comparable to this, nixon? clinton's brother? maybe scooter libby?

grecian

yes i was trying to figure out the point of that post too...it's par for the course for trump but dismissing it as a not worthy of criticism or discussion is almost as egregious in my opinion...although i am not sure about there being nothing comparable to this, nixon? clinton's brother? maybe scooter libby?

I didn't say there was nothing comparable, just saying those comparable things were scandals which weren't laughed off, and of course this is all part of the same main scandal that he doesn't want all information available over as Republicans call it the "Russian-hoax Scam", which though it be a scam Trump seems to have obstructed the investigation in every single way, including this. Odd he'd do this for a fake scam, as surely just allowing all info including his taxes would prove he's clean as can be.

Uppercut

I don't know anything about the situation over there, but can't the paramilitaries, you know, drive over to the next town where the cops live and do the threatening?
Then they might run into other paramilitaries whose job is to keep them out.
What Spark says is true, but it's not even the main reason. I'm struggling to find a better answer than "they just wouldn't". Paramilitary branches are extremely locally oriented, and will usually try to brutally control their own little estate while making no effort at all to exert power outside of it. So a member of their "own" community policing them would be more of an affront to that attempted control than an outsider doing it, which is just expected.

Also some people in Catholic areas still think that Catholics who join the police are traitors, and doing your police work far from where you live is a good way to be discrete.

Niall

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1281945337842798594

The grandstanding over it has been over the top, Stone is a bad dude but not as if this is the first time a president pardoned a turd. Romney WAC.

Trump has done much much much worse than pardon this rotten dude.

Last edited:

grecian

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1281945337842798594

The grandstanding over it has been over the top, Stone is a bad dude but not as if this is the first time a president pardoned a turd. Romney WAC.

Trump has done much much much worse than pardon this rotten dude.
Again I never said it was unprecedented, but those other cases were also hugely controversial. Calling Romney a **** for actually standing up to this blatant corruption is pretty odd Niall. Again though this ties in with the Russian angle, which is always prevalent, particularly with trump ignoring the bounties. Just saying Trump has done worse is also not really a defence

Greenwald seems pretty invested in downplaying Russian interference, so not surprised he downplays this.

grecian

That Greenwald tweet is right.
What about all that stuff about the "cause". I guess it's not unprecedented, but TBH if we are correcting politicians on literal truth, Glenn will have a long time doing that on Trump's tweets. a bit of whataboutery there, but ya know it's in fashion.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What about all that stuff about the "cause". I guess it's not unprecedented, but TBH if we are correcting politicians on literal truth, Glenn will have a long time doing that on Trump's tweets. a bit of whataboutery there, but ya know it's in fashion.
I think whataboutery is basically required when you're replying to somthing saying it's unprecedented.

If Romney just said Trump was corrupt and he gave past examples then it'd be a bit dire, but when he says it's "unprecedented" and "historic", examples of what past presidents did are extremely relevant as a counter.

grecian

I think whataboutery is basically required when you're replying to somthing saying it's unprecedented.

If Romney just said Trump was corrupt and he gave past examples then it'd be a bit dire, but when he says it's "unprecedented" and "historic", examples of what past presidents did are extremely relevant as a counter.
TBH, it's pretty hard to compare each individual case as a counterpoint, in the end Stone was guilty of 7 federal offences and has pretty much admitted he failed to give up Trump, I mean maybe their transparency is the precadent, and that makes them better. Yet I thing going on about the word unprecedented is sophistry at it's worse, dodging the actual facts.