• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The American Politics thread

Ausage

i mean this makes the decision pretty understandable imo. if you have one guy who keeps on saying the same **** over and over again despite being asked to stop in a conversation where sensitivity is required, then i would do the same thing in any class of mine. it honestly sounds like he was playing the edgelord troll more than anything and you can't permit that in a class.
The use of a bullshit statistic is the more egregious action though. Booting out the student could be justified or not based on stuff we can't really know.

Spark

Global Moderator
The use of a bullshit statistic is the more egregious action though. Booting out the student could be justified or not based on stuff we can't really know.
Maybe. The article is really sensationalised though, buries the context way down in the article and makes it sound like they just booted him simply for objecting to the stat.

Meanwhile, this graph is probably the best encapsulation of the GOP being absolutely toxic to non-white voters than these two charts:

https://twitter.com/mariachong/status/1072699555093733376

In particular the entry at the bottom. Vietnamese-Americans should be voting GOP in huge margins, like they were a generation ago, quite literally every single think about them as a community other than race tilts them towards a traditional conservative party: wealthy, socially conservative in every sense (esp family structure + tradition wise), religious (disproportionately Catholic), strong cultural focus on work ethic and self-reliance, and fiercely anti-Communist. But the simple perception that the GOP is hostile towards non-whites at an existential level is enough to completely obviate all of that.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

The 20% statistic is eminently questionable and in his emails, he brings up a couple of a couple of studies and is pretty reasonable in his objections so he's done his Googling. Problem is he focusses on surface stuff the n size and conspicuously makes no mention of the big enchilada in any crime vs fear of crime debate, that being the report rate. The studies themselves are often self-report hence there's plenty of fertile ground for critique but you're hard-pressed to expect a second-year uni student to provide a detailed analysis of the lit nor understand study designs in depth.

That said, baldly saying 'rape culture doesn't exist' just doesn't follow from the evidence or statistics. That he started with a statistic talking about all sexual assaults but talked solely about rape in his emails as some slippery slope thing is egregious. You're a uni student and all the info is at your fingertips, do some ****ing homework before walking into class or show some humility about your position. This is aside from whether he was acting out after being informed that there were possible victims in the class.

In the job, the only people who are happy with lower stats are the hierarchy. A lower report rate is actually terrible news. Anyone citing crime stats without mentioning this is acting in bad faith.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don’t mind it when people have those sorts of things. It’s like a badge of “im a bit self conscious about what I’ve done with my life and will wear that on my sleeves”.

No need to kick them while they’re down

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I don’t mind it when people have those sorts of things. It’s like a badge of “im a bit self conscious about what I’ve done with my life and will wear that on my sleeves”.

No need to kick them while they’re down
Athlai, Professor of Philosophy from said University of Life.

Niall

common theme on Tinder:
full time mummy
school of hard knocks
university of life

all in caps of course.
" No such thing as a typical Friday night".....

Ok tell me more...

"I'm either out on the town or at home watching Netflix"

Fascinating. :wacko:

Shri

" No such thing as a typical Friday night".....

Ok tell me more...

"I'm either out on the town or at home watching Netflix"

Fascinating. :wacko:
Also, be 5'0" and 100 kgs+ "I really enjoy rock climbing and camping!"

Bitch, you are a mountain. Knock it off.

Spark

Global Moderator
https://t.co/LrppuIj4af

Many of these people are conservative Catholics who helped US forces during the war. Obvs though they've been found guilty by Captain Bone Spurs of being non-white and will be summarily judged as such.