• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian politics thread

Burgey

They certainly have a disproportionate level of influence at the federal level with the preferential voting system (though tbh on balance I'm still in favour of that system rather than FPTP). Don't apologize mate, we're all here for a good time ffs. We spend a lot of it **** stirring each other as well.

Burgey

Johnson is really coming across as the sort of bloke who thinks Cape Helles was a big win. Reminds me of D/L, in that he's a spud.

Spikey

absolutely howling with laughter when i see our murdoch-conservative outlets running the stories to the gist of “look at these dumb americans who want to open up” while running other stories to the gist of “comrade dandrews and his democratic people’s republic of victoria must open up”

one genre of news story that i see a lot of here is our conservative rags laughing at dumb americans and then making the same points the dumb americans do and australian chuds lapping it up because irony and nuance are dead in the water seemingly
i was surprised it took so long for the anti-lockdown stuff to come tbh

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
absolutely howling with laughter when i see our murdoch-conservative outlets running the stories to the gist of “look at these dumb americans who want to open up” while running other stories to the gist of “comrade dandrews and his democratic people’s republic of victoria must open up”

one genre of news story that i see a lot of here is our conservative rags laughing at dumb americans and then making the same points the dumb americans do and australian chuds lapping it up because irony and nuance are dead in the water seemingly
As someone who more or less agrees with the dumb Americans (or at the very least wouldn't be able to deliver my arguments in a way such that you'd find a lot of distance between us), I too have noticed that the Murdoch papers have been stupidly harsh on them given their own editorial opinions.

Shady Slim

As someone who more or less agrees with the dumb Americans (or at the very least wouldn't be able to deliver my arguments in a way such that you'd find a lot of distance between us), I too have noticed that the Murdoch papers have been stupidly harsh on them given their own editorial opinions.
yeah look the being anti-lockdown obvs is your right to have that stance and it's the right of their opinion people to have that view, and though it's one i vehemently disagree with, you're going to find that opinion in a murdoch paper or on a murdoch channel

but when you have it right next to "wow look at these silly americans for breaching lockdowns!!" (and i do appreciate we have different contexts to them and we're at a much more enviable position than they are at present), it's just a bit on the nose for me lol, like they're not even trying any more (which, tbf, they have not been for the 20 years that i've been here)

vcs

America is a whole different level of dumbness. Being anti-lockdown is one thing, but going about it the way they do is completely another.

GotSpin

The restrictions are just a completely joke at the moment and an act of political grandstanding. Head out to Ikea on the weekend (Exciting, I know) and there's literally thousands of people cruising through that sprawling complex. However, when I go to eat my lunch on the grass near the beach a ranger zooms over and kicks me out. Or there are hundreds knocking about in coles and woolworths. If the government really felt that the virus was so deadly why would there be these huge gaping non nonsensical holes in their policies?

Redbacks

Yeah I agree. I think the people have decided it’s time to open up. It’s not based on science but really just politics and copying what others have done to look like you care. The CMO has said for ages now the opinion of the experts is that schools should be open and that’s been completely ignored by the states which is their right to do so.

ScoMo’s soccer mums are running the country. If the experts are saying elimination is impossible without a vaccine then we have to cautiously begin to ease restrictions or people will lose faith in them.

Last edited:

Burgey

Well it hasn't been really - their own CMOs have told them it isn't yet. States have responsibility for schools and will wear it if they open up and it breaks out. I mean, if it's safe to go to school, why do all the medical experts say it isn't safe to go to a council playground?

The thing I find funniest is the idea some protesters have that they're shutting down everything because, well, they can and they want to. yeah, cos making people lose their jobs helps you maintain your own.

Redbacks

Still not a single death world wide for 0-9 age group. Similarly for 10-19 I’m guessing it’s a handful probably related to underlying issues.

Theres also been a lot of studies to show low transmission rates amongst children, hypothesised to be related to their same reason they don’t get as sick: ACE-2.

What are they basing the closures on? It’s not saving children’s lives. If kids aren’t allowed to see their grandparents it’s also not putting the elderly at risk.

Spikey

plus there's that Kawasaki disease thing going on in new york which, at the very least, muddles the waters

Burgey

Imagine all the fruit bats ready to pick over the bones of that shift - Fordham, Bolt, Price, C Smith, Edict 9. They'd all want a slice of it.

Redbacks

The Liberals are pushing a deeply unpopular suite of ideas post pandemic. Tax Cuts, deregulation and IR reform...
The same battles we’ve seen over the past 10 years which they have lost. It’s even more toxic if unemployment is at 9%

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I have no idea where that "no deaths under 10" thing came from, I think it was Sunday that there was a 5 week old baby that died in the UK or something like that.

morgieb

Yeah I have no idea where that "no deaths under 10" thing came from, I think it was Sunday that there was a 5 week old baby that died in the UK or something like that.
Spark'd or?

I think it was based on old data. It does seem like young people who are dying either have pre-existing conditions or are freak occurances though.