• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The British Politics Thread

fredfertang

We have a serious harm test now before anything can be defamatory in the UK - excellent news for the press, not so good for lawyers with trigger happy clients who have more money than sense and lots of time in which to be stupid

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh yeah, always funny when people think freedom of speech means they can't be fired, banned from Facebook, etc

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Oh yeah, always funny when people think freedom of speech means they can't be fired, banned from Facebook, etc
Like I've seen the decision by whatever radio station it was that fired Katie Hopkins as being a 'sad day for free speech' which just isn't true - as far as I'm aware she hasn't been arrested or tried for anything she wrote (although advocating genocide is something I'm fine with being made illegal), it was merely the decision of her employer that they didn't want to be associated with her.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well the police were investigating her, but yeah the sacking was an irrelevance from a free speech perspective. It was actually the market at work as they'd been threatened with boycotts.

Pothas

Glad he is gone though, I mean it probably won't make a huge difference but puts them in a better position.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tbf, didn't he gain them about six seats?

Edit - I realise this could be wrong and easily looked up

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Farron is such a creep. Classless. Proving voters were right not to trust him on liberal issues.
I find his complaints quite funny because of my own personal religious journey.

It was the bible and reading the New Testament and the teachings of Jesus that made me as tolerant as I am on social issues. 'Christians' like Farron who aren't tolerant of homosexuals in particular are doing it wrong.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Jesus you lot need something going your way.

Manchester, London, fire, and then politically - whatever you think of the result - makes the Brexit negotiations harder.

Burgey

Terrible look for May not to meet with the people who lost their families and their homes at Grenfell Tower. Like, as bad a look for a pollie as you can get.

fredfertang

Terrible look for May not to meet with the people who lost their families and their homes at Grenfell Tower. Like, as bad a look for a pollie as you can get.
Agree, but then the newly elected Labour MP who did front up came over appallingly badly - the interview I saw with her just consisted of her making a few political points - I hope that was just misleading editing, and that in reality she did show some humanity and thought for all of the victims

Uppercut

Jesus you lot need something going your way.

Manchester, London, fire, and then politically - whatever you think of the result - makes the Brexit negotiations harder.
I'm not sure what the effect on Brexit negotiations will be, but I'd lean towards thinking the election result was a net positive. Making May less powerful is surely a good thing, because at this point it's even clearer that she's hopelessly incompetent and couldn't negotiate her way out of a paper bag. The DUP are running rings around her as we speak.

The major risk to negotiations IMO was having them scuppered out of spite by the electorate of one of the EU27 countries. It's why I thought May's tabloidesque belligerence was the worst possible approach. I think that's a lot less likely now, because the dick-waving has been massively toned down.

OTOH, it's been a complete nightmare for the civil servants tasked with negotiating the small details.

I still think they'll stay in the single market and customs union and pay a fortune for freedom-of-movement opt-outs, which was the best possible deal anyway.

StephenZA

I still think they'll stay in the single market and customs union and pay a fortune for freedom-of-movement opt-outs, which was the best possible deal anyway.
Don't think that they will get the freedom of movement opt-outs. It is too important to the tenets of the EU. And money is not enough anymore maybe 30/40 years ago it could have worked. We shall see.