• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Jordan Peterson thread

Anil

I feel sorry for hating on him (well, actually, some of his sillier views) now.

Hope he recovers soon.
well i hope he kicks his addiction but it didn't suddenly change who he is, did it? so why would you think differently of him? :)

Maximas

Wait, you mean to say that his meat only diet hadn't cured him of all possible ailments?

You mean to say the anti-scientific health advice he and his daughter are profiting from may not address complex health issues after all?
I find this in rather poor taste so to speak

Uppercut

It just reinforces Peterson's central mystery: he's intense, humourless, stubborn, and quick to anger. He's now also, apparently, addicted to benzos. But his life advice is incredibly popular. What's the story there? Most gurus have personalities people would aspire to, or at least come across as fairly content people. Peterson is a kind of anti-Dalai Lama.

RossTaylorsBox

I don't really think his fans care much for his life advice or personality. Remember he first came to prominence arguing against a gender bill by claiming it would begone illegal to call someone the wrong pronoun. He's just kind of rode that by adding garbage about post-modernism and cultural Marxism because that matched the views of his fanbase. Being a tenured professor and media coverage helped him become a bit of a figurehead for "intellectual (lol) conservatism". To me it's no different to Tony Robbins and other life coaches in that he just simply found a good grift where people would agree with anything he said.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't really think his fans care much for his life advice or personality.
Nah most of his real fans actually care a lot about his advice. His e-fans will peddle it as an excuse to push his political opinions and weird anti-trans rants but he exists as a thing on the back of being a self help book/video salesman.

RossTaylorsBox

Also being a lobster and fantasising about murderimg a kid. I just read about those 12 rules and he doesn't do like 3 of them. Seriously, who are the real fans taking the advice of a maniac?

Uppercut

Also being a lobster and fantasising about murderimg a kid. I just read about those 12 rules and he doesn't do like 3 of them. Seriously, who are the real fans taking the advice of a maniac?
I mean the gist is just "get your **** together". But it's weird that Peterson is the vehicle that gets people buying into it. The joke at the time was that he was just telling everyone what their mums had been saying for years and somehow having them feel like it was life-changingly brilliant.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I mean the gist is just "get your **** together". But it's weird that Peterson is the vehicle that gets people buying into it. The joke at the time was that he was just telling everyone what their mums had been saying for years and somehow having them feel like it was life-changingly brilliant.
I don't think the selling point is "get your **** together". It's get your **** together in xyz chaste ways and your infirmities will burn away like deadwood and you will become a honorific elder god. The mythological potential outcome of self-actualization which is always hinted at but never fully elaborated on let's people frame their own perceptions of grandeur as the end result of the JBP road. That's also a lot more attractive and more importantly, creates a much more ardent in-group of belonging than your mum telling you to get your **** together or you'll end up on the street.

Last edited:

weldone

I don't think the selling point is "get your **** together". It's get your **** together in xyz chaste ways and your infirmities will burn away like deadwood and you will become a honorific elder god. The mythological potential outcome of self-actualization which is always hinted at but never fully elaborated on let's people frame their own perceptions of grandeur as the end result of the JBP road. That's also a lot more attractive and more importantly, creates a much more ardent in-group of belonging than your mum telling you to get your **** together or you'll end up on the street.
Lobsters. You forgot lobsters.

Uppercut

That does kind of make sense, given that the mythological honorific elder gods were also intense, humourless, stubborn, and quick to anger.