• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The New Zealand Politics Thread

TNT

Banned
The Christchurch mosque shooter has just pleaded guilty to all charges, and will be sentenced in June.
I dont support the death penalty, I dont have personal views on it but support the community view. But I would not object to a piece of rope being part of his cell furnishings.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Got my 15 minutes of outside time earlier. We downsized to a windowless apartment (technically there is a window but there is also a building extension on the neighbouring apartment block that's sealed up all natural light) so this whole lockdown will be somewhat trying tbh.

Anyway, went to a parking lot across the street that overlooks Beach Road here in Auckland. Counted 30+ different people in about 5 minutes out and about, excluding obvious essential workers. One guy even went up to a city works guy in his car, almost stuck his head in the window to ask him something. ****ing moron.

Flem274*

123/5
looks like people are flouting it everywhere. my drive to work this morning felt like it was a saturday morning rather than a pandemic lockdown.

Flem274*

123/5
i see quinovic are up to their old tricks again. i hope they push their luck so robertson can break them and that worthless little middleman sector between owners and tenants can be heavily regulated rather than the wild west it is now.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Should just have a rent holiday if there's a mortgage holiday. Someone getting paid by someone who isn't getting paid isn't fair. Everyone's in the same boat.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I wouldn't presume you'd disagree tbh. Hopefully UBI gains more traction worldwide as a replacement for welfare.
Haha well I do shill for landlords pretty hard.

I think the difficulty in implementing this obviously fair arrangement is that it's been banks rather than governments deciding on the mortgage holiday in the first place. I think this is a good thing -- it's voluntarism rather than coercive legislation to achieve the same result -- but it does mean it's harder to enforce further down the chain. One solution might be for these banks to make their mortgage holidays entirely conditional on them being passed onto renters... so if you wanted to take advantage of the mortgage holiday you'd have to sign an agreement pledging not to charge anyone renting the properties you're mortgage-holidaying from.

Flem274*

123/5
banks are only doing it because the reserve bank and the state have a long memory, and have been told by both to play nice or else.

Chewie

My understanding of mortgage holidays though is that it just delays when you pay the mortgage and interest still accrues over this time, it just means they don't have to pay immediately on the required dates. Whereas a rent agreement is a fixed term thing and it's cause more problems if it operated like a mortgage holiday and you had to pay it all back at the end of the tenancy.

I think that mortgages on property you rent out shouldn't get a mortgage holiday because you still get rent to pay that mortgage, but that there should be relief for renters who are unable to pay rent on time or in full due to COVID through some form of government subsidy/interest free loan

If you live in your home then that's different and agree with mortgage holiday there.

Fuller Pilch

If you take a mortgage holiday you'll end up paying more due to the extra accrued interest. It is certainly worthwhile if you lose your job and stops the risk of needing a mortgagee sale, but not so good if your income stream remains consistent.

TNT

Banned
Haha well I do shill for landlords pretty hard.

I think the difficulty in implementing this obviously fair arrangement is that it's been banks rather than governments deciding on the mortgage holiday in the first place. I think this is a good thing -- it's voluntarism rather than coercive legislation to achieve the same result -- but it does mean it's harder to enforce further down the chain. One solution might be for these banks to make their mortgage holidays entirely conditional on them being passed onto renters... so if you wanted to take advantage of the mortgage holiday you'd have to sign an agreement pledging not to charge anyone renting the properties you're mortgage-holidaying from.
Generally investment properties dont have a mortgage as such and are investment loans. The main reason is investment properties pay a higher interest rate. Most banks will only provide a person with one mortgage and any further borrowing will be an investment loan.

Flem274*

123/5
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...change-in-australias-stance-to-new-zealanders

given christmas island is a thing and the general treatment of nzers in australia over the last decade compared to treatment of australians in nz, i think it's time to stop asking and begin acting.

rescind all permanent residency from australians who have been here 3 years or less and put anyone convicted of anything who has some 1/64th aussie blood on a flight 'home', beginning with brenton tarrant.

australian prime ministers since howard are very weak men (mentally and politically) with little clout in their own nations, they will fold to demands if we drop tarrant and a handful of 'aussies' on their doorstep.

Flem274*

123/5
I’m glad you excluded Gillard from that otherwise justified criticism
i feel like she could have done a good job if she wasn't looking over her shoulder for that shouty bloke rudd the spuds knife tbh. she always seemed pretty reasonable and was respected by other nations leaders (including ours).

Burgey

If nothing else, she brought in the NDIS which is/ could have been a great legacy except since 2013, every time the ****wits in charge now have needed money, they’ve dipped into the funding for it

Grasshopper

I'm not really much of a TV watcher, and the only time I used to turn on the evening news was when the sports news came on at about 20 to 7. Now, that's when I turn it off.

:(