• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Photography Thread

Spark

Global Moderator

Interesting video on colour science (and, unwittingly, cognitive bias and motivated reasoning)

Victor Ian

Great video. I come across this, not in cameras, but in printing technology. There is a zone above bad, when everything falls into 'who gives a ****', but the makers of these devices are insistent that it matters. It's all bullshit when you know that that picture you take is going to be skewed by your output device and then by your own varying eyesight, and that most people are then going to fiddle with their sliders to change things again. I strongly support the notion that you quickly adjust and compensate to what you are seeing and that what you prefer is not accurate.
It used to drive me crazy when people would spend ages choosing between two slightly different shades on a colour chart that they then can't tell apart once the final output is supplied without the original cross comparisons. There is no right. Just bad and acceptable.
But hey, 'choice', right!

Victor Ian

Yeah. That really is brilliant.

For the wanna be takeagoodphotoers, care to share what kind of settings allowed the blacked out water.

Shri

I'd have said a polarizing filter of some kind but that would have reduced the reflection that is visible in the water. Probably just aperture manipulation.

Victor Ian

I've only ever played around with one setting, which is zoom. We recently got a camera with all those wizzbang settings, but have not had time to figure out how they work together yet. TNT's photo inspires me to get off my arse and figure it out.

TNT

Banned
Yeah. That really is brilliant.

For the wanna be takeagoodphotoers, care to share what kind of settings allowed the blacked out water.
Trees line the shore behind the pelican and the sun is behind the trees, this has stopped any reflection from the sun on the water cast a shadow from the trees.

I dont remember the exact setting but I shoot in Aperture mode with a 400 prime set at 5.6 and adjust the ISO setting to keep the shutter speed above 1000. W/B full sun, normally -.3 on the exposure to capture highlights. Mostly jpeg but sometimes raw.

Spark

Global Moderator
I've only ever played around with one setting, which is zoom. We recently got a camera with all those wizzbang settings, but have not had time to figure out how they work together yet. TNT's photo inspires me to get off my arse and figure it out.
Put it on aperture priority and just start experimenting. Pay close attention to how your camera fiddles with the shutter and ISO settings to maintain exposure (i.e. brightness), or just read about the exposure triangle. But mostly just try ****.

TNT

Banned

I didnt figure it out until after I had taken the photo, I only expect to get one good shot from every 500 I take.

SJS

I have been featured in this month's (July 2019) issue of the Smart Photography magazine.

These are two double page spreads with pictures from my recent Antarctica trip. I would have posted links to the e-magazine but unfortunately the link does not work unless one is a subscriber. :(

You need to not just click on each thumbnail but after the image appears, to click on it once again to get the full file.

Attachments

Last edited:

TNT

Banned
Some very good looking aussie birds.

Seriously though Burgey wanted to see some of my photos.

Scarlett Robin
Scarlett robin 1200.jpg
Western Thornbill
Yellow rumpted thornbill 1200.jpg
Western yellow Robin
Western yellow robin 1200.jpg