• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Political Compass Test

Spark

Global Moderator

Economic Left/Right: 6.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.49

I used to get much further right results than even that though if you look further back in the thread; stuff above 9 at times. Where I've come back on that front is that I now realise most massive corporations are actually propped up by rather than impeded by them, as legislators but up barriers to entry and protect the status quo with subsidies.. so my answers on corporation-related questions have changed a bit.
we all know you're a leftist revolutionary at heart

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha nah my score is legit. It's probably just how I see the test in some cases though; it's a political compass not a moral compass so I answer the questions how I'd want the state to.
Even if you do take that approach, some of the questions are worded in a way that is totally moralistic.

For instance, this one has always annoyed me:

Those with the ability to pay should have the right to higher standards of medical care.
I think the wording here is very confusing. Is it asking you whether you think richer people should legally have a "right" to better healthcare? Or is it asking "If better healthcare is available to those with more money, should something be done to prevent them from getting it?".

I suspect the majority of people might approach these two questions differently.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Even if you do take that approach, some of the questions are worded in a way that is totally moralistic.

For instance, this one has always annoyed me:

I think the wording here is very confusing. Is it asking you whether you think richer people should legally have a "right" to better healthcare? Or is it asking "If better healthcare is available to those with more money, should something be done to prevent them from getting it?".

I suspect the majority of people might answer these two questions differently.
Yeah like six or seven years ago I'd have answered the first question, but now I take it to mean the second and as a result my answer will shift it rightwards despite there being very little practical change in my position (of course, there are so many caveats associated with the answer that the test does nothing to measure...). But I guess it reflects a subtle yet important shift in underlying worldview, which I suppose is significant.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah like six or seven years ago I'd have answered the first question, but now I take it to mean the second and as a result my answer will shift it rightwards despite there being very little practical change in my position. But I guess it reflects a subtle yet important shift in underlying worldview, which I suppose is significant.
Yeah, same here.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
No one chooses his or her country of birth, so it's foolish to be proud of it.
This is another example.

Are we being asked "do you think nationalism is good?", or merely "taking pride in some characteristic or feature over which one has no control is foolish?"

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Then there are ones like this, which are suggestive of a false dichotomy.

If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.
This one irritates me as it implies that the interests of humanity and those of trans-national corporations are de-facto mutually exclusive, which in the strictest sense is rarely the case.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Then ones like this which are totally unambiguous.

There is now a worrying fusion of information and entertainment.
What does "worrying" mean? It's not even asking you if you think a trend of fusion and entertainment exists, or if you think it's good/dire, but whether it is worrying. What the hell does that mean?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
January 2011
Economic -5.38
Social: -5.85

January 2012
Economic -1.62
Social -4.87

March 2013
Economic -2.00
Social -5.03

April 2015
Economic -5.83
Social -6.87

As expected, big swing back to the left for me.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sledger managed to forget the best one
Haha, didn't dignify that one with my attention. I'd be amazed if there was anyone on here who didn't answer "strongly disagree" to that one.

Quickly skimming back through the whole thing made me realise how I had a gripe with at least the majority of the questions/statements though. One suspects the whole test could have been devised far better if it was worded more carefully.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
View attachment 22002

There is no way that the 3 main parties are as right wing as depicted there.
Haha, I nearly made that point as well.

Was just thinking about your earlier posts re: how you'd have to be a horrible bastard to get higher than 4.0 on the economic spectrum, but yet...all of the main UK parties cross that threshold :laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, when plotting the parties on the economic axis they almost exclusively seem to consider how much they've embraced free international trade for some reason, rather than actually sending their policy platforms through their test. It's obviously true that major parties across the western world have moved to the right on that issue in the last 30 years or so but they've moved to the left in other areas.

I think the test itself, while flawed in some parts, was an earnest attempt to be unbiased and useful if taken in the right context. Their plotting of parties and such is much less balanced though.