• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

We're Dying Out

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Quite a good article that.

I was actually thinking about this the other day.

There's definitely something to be said about forums though. I despise the discussions you get on social media pages. They are usually pervaded by mouth-breathers are other cretins. I suppose it's not like we don't get some of those types on here, but generally speaking the quality of the discussions on here are really top quality. We're lucky enough to have a core group of users that are made up of a variety of intelligent people from an array of different backgrounds. If the forum is ever to die off I will be sad, because through using the site over the years, despite my questionable usage of the site over the years, I've learned so much and been exposed to so many interesting things and ideas.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm still numb from the funeral of MSN Messenger.
A dark day.

At least we still have the transcripts for some of the old CW group conversations on there.

At least I think I still have a few saved at least. Will be sad if I don't have a copy of Rodgiegate anymore.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
A dark day.

At least we still have the transcripts for some of the old CW group conversations on there.

At least I think I still have a few saved at least. Will be sad if I don't have a copy of Rodgiegate anymore.
Concerning regular use of "at least" in this post.

indiaholic

It is weird that these are dying out. There is a certain feeling that you are talking to actual human beings* here rather than an amorphous blob you get on sites like reddit.

*or PEWS

Bijed

Quite a good article that.

I was actually thinking about this the other day.

There's definitely something to be said about forums though. I despise the discussions you get on social media pages. They are usually pervaded by mouth-breathers are other cretins. I suppose it's not like we don't get some of those types on here, but generally speaking the quality of the discussions on here are really top quality. We're lucky enough to have a core group of users that are made up of a variety of intelligent people from an array of different backgrounds. If the forum is ever to die off I will be sad, because through using the site over the years, despite my questionable usage of the site over the years, I've learned so much and been exposed to so many interesting things and ideas.
Completely agree with you, though from my experience I'd say that CW is very much at the upper end of the scale with regards to the quality of the forum and that pretty much all the others I've ever been on have basically been much worse, in many cases offering discussion of a quality not too distinguishable from some of the worse ones you get on social media sites.

If all forums were like this one, I think the format would still be much more prevalent on the whole.

indiaholic

Completely agree with you, though from my experience I'd say that CW is very much at the upper end of the scale with regards to the quality of the forum and that pretty much all the others I've ever been on have basically been much worse, in many cases offering discussion of a quality not too distinguishable from some of the worse ones you get on social media sites.

If all forums were like this one, I think the format would still be much more prevalent on the whole.
So how did this happen? Pure chance or was there some design?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
No, but that would explain the scarf and the interest in EU law
Haha, it's weird how much I enjoy EU law despite having severe problems with the EU itself. If I think too much about it I end up wondering if my entire existence is a type of paradox. I don't like thinking too hard though, it's very tiring, and can thus deplete time that I could otherwise spend watching videos of dogs/people playing wrestling video games on YouTube.

P.S. I still wear that scarf.

Shri

Reddit won't take people away from message boards. There was Digg before reddit and we are still here. Message boards are a niche and we rarely get new members who stick around.

I think its about the community. I mean, does anyone even read a poster's username in reddit during discussions? Its an insufferable cesspool of know-it-alls and the only reason to go there continuously is to engage your narcissistic side and keep it healthy., which is fun but not the same thing

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Everytime I go to reddit, usually to get information on a specific technical thing, I am always put off by the format. Pain in the arse to say the least.

Howe_zat

Reddit only works in a sub that's small enough to 'know' most of the regular posters i.e. where it approximates a forum.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, agreed.

It's also good for finding lots of pictures of doggos and other expedient animals.

Ausage

Reddit's ok, but it's not great for lines of thinking that go against the consensus of the sub. The benefit of that is that you don't see the complete idiots stinking up threads with pure nonsense/trolling, the problem is you often don't get alternative viewpoints making things pretty partisan. There's also opportunities for large scale systemic abuses (moderation/brigading) but on the whole it's ok at getting you information you need on a specific topic. The issue is that interactions are far less personal on Reddit, while forums have regular posters who's posting history adds context to whatever point is being made. It's a far deeper experience.

I think the message board will trundle along. Their market share is lower but there are still people that value this specific format and I can't imagine they're that expensive to maintain these days. Many of the message boards I've used heavily in my life are now dead, but that's because they whatever niche they were devoted to isn't a thing anymore (RIP Australian Warcraft 3 :().