• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What are you thinking right now?

Flem274*

123/5
Nah I don't think they have. Certainly a market based solution is toxic right now but a platform of building a bunch of solar plants in regional centres I think could be successful. The last election was decided on tax/ housing policy anyway.
australia is literally the perfect place to build a nuclear plant in the arse end of nowhere (99% of the continent) and run guilt free. solar can't compete with it. solar is a bit **** tbh. requires constant maintenance, expensive to build, doesn't even work for 12 hours of the day...

wind and hydro combined is pretty useful for smaller countries, but im not sure hydro is feasible in aus?

Last edited:

andruid

australia is literally the perfect place to build a nuclear plant in the arse end of nowhere (99% of the continent) and run guilt free. solar can't compete with it. solar is a bit **** tbh. requires constant maintenance, expensive to build, doesn't even work for 12 hours of the day...

wind and hydro combined is pretty useful for smaller countries, but im not sure hydro is feasible in aus?
If only you had geothermal like New Zealand or Kenya

Burgey

They should build one in Brisbane. One of the few places on earth which would be improved by a nuclear power plant.

Then again, I suppose that is the middle of nowhere.

stephen

Here's some random trivia for you.

Nuclear power has the largest popular split between genders of virtually any issue in Australia. Consistently it has been polled as popular with men. Equally consistently it has been polled as being unpopular with women. The split is approximately 60% of men are in favor and 90% of women are against.

So you can thank/blame the suffragettes in the early 1900s for the lack of nuclear power production in Australia.

Burgey

So, as feared the three fires north of Sydney have joined up and made a front 60km across which is for the most part out of control. Calling it a “super fire” whatever the **** that means. Now there’s fires to the south west of the city and houses being lost too, while I just heard a news report saying a fire west of Grafton has been upgraded to emergency status as well. Reporter goes “that fire has been burning since.... September.” Eight fires are at “emergency” status which I understand means “it’s too late to go, try to find shelter.” This has a real Black Saturday feel to it to me. Meant to be hot and dry the next five days. I think lots of people are ****ed.

I’ve never known anything like this. It’s raining ash on and off at our place and we are miles from the fires themselves.

Gnske

Yeah I almost can't remember when the Carrai East fire wasn't going, and now it's hooked up with that one that scorched through south of Ballina two weeks ago. That's 500,000 ha patch burnt away. It's just a bit of a helpless fight, there's one that's probably going to go to hell west of Bellingen and the word from National Parks was that they'll just it burn through if it starts heading east, northeast. Insanity.

I dare say if this ever ends that Ecologists are going to have a **** ton of work, only silver lining to it all. I don't even want to guess the damage of the ecological impact to our flora and fauna once this is all done.

Also remember, it's the Greens fault and Peta Credlin says everything is fine.

Last edited:

andruid

I honestly wish I could send some of our flood inducing rain your way. Excess of 150 dead in Kenya and Uganda and thousands more displaced. This years Indian Ocean dipole has been really destructive.