• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World cup review thread

CricAddict

Unless they win the world cup, in whatever manner they exit, their exit will always be termed as choking. Poor South Africans.

stephen

Honestly so far past that now.... much bigger issue to be sorted first.
Yeah, SA aren't choking this world cup, they're simply flat out underperforming with the poorest ODI side they've ever fielded. It doesn't help that Rabada has been so ordinary this world cup and Ngidi/Steyn has been injured.

GoodAreasShane

Rassie van der Dussen is almost the only South African who has really impressed me this whole tournament (Morris on occasion too, but that's more down to how lowly I rated him pre tournament). With Amla, Duminy and possibly Faf moving on in the nearish future, Rassie may well have a critical role to play as a steady hand in a period of transition for the South African team. Think he could worth a look at tests, his record for the Lions over the last three or four seasons is really good

Howe_zat

The fact that people still want to call South Africa's performance 'choking' even when they didn't turn up at all is a pretty good proof of how meaningless the term is.

Daemon

Rassie van der Dussen is almost the only South African who has really impressed me this whole tournament (Morris on occasion too, but that's more down to how lowly I rated him pre tournament). With Amla, Duminy and possibly Faf moving on in the nearish future, Rassie may well have a critical role to play as a steady hand in a period of transition for the South African team. Think he could worth a look at tests, his record for the Lions over the last three or four seasons is really good
He’ll make captain eventually

StephenZA

He’ll make captain eventually
Why do you say that?

Rassie has been an unexpected boon for SA, and may help stop some of the bleeding while we sort out and bring in the youngsters. Not sure if he will be made captain. I do compare him to Faf in how he got called up unexpectedly and performed far better than people thought he would.

vcs

This made me laugh:

Low point: Ex-boyfriend AB de Villiers sending that late "U up?" text to South Africa's selectors the night before the selectors were due to make a serious commitment to another player.

tooextracool

Yeah, SA aren't choking this world cup, they're simply flat out underperforming with the poorest ODI side they've ever fielded. It doesn't help that Rabada has been so ordinary this world cup and Ngidi/Steyn has been injured.
Not sure about the exact distinction between underperforming and choking but the reality is that this is a team that has a dominant record between WCs that somehow proceeded to fluff things up in a big tournament again. We can sugar coat it and call it whatever you want but players like Amla, QDK are quality players who have again failed to step up in big games and who's records at the WC are clearly inferior to their overall ODI record.

vcs

They've been average in JAMODIs also, India hammered them at their place last year and they already looked threadbare back then. I think they could have moved on from Amla, Duminy, Steyn, Miller etc. at least a year back, maybe the cupboard is bare.