• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second ODI in Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

social

Starc didn't play in all 3 matches bud. and obviously clarke.
Starc (who is hardly the world's best odi bowler) played one match and got absolutely smoked

If they didn't care about the tourney and were merely preparing for the Ashes, then he would have been given more game time

As for Clarke, he wasn't fit

theegyptian

Well England were definitely the better ODI side for English conditions but that's not quite the same thing.
Welll we were discussing the ODIs to be held in England at the time so form in England is certainly of relevence. Just as these ODIs and the World Cup being in Australia - significantly increasing Australia's chances of success.

Spikey

ITT we over-react to small sample sizes

meanwhile

Cricket Australia ‏@CAComms 41s
Steve Smith will join the ODI squad in Sydney tomorrow morning as cover for George Bailey who has a groin injury.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I was referring to stuff highlighted specifically but you seem to have gleamed over that to make some other salient point. How would it be better if England were 200 all out and outclassed again? They may have lost but they were competitive against the favourites of the CWC with a team decimated by form and injury/rest issues. In your thinking Australia would have been better off getting thrashed in the tests back in England rather than most of the games being competitive- because it would have hurt less for the players.

And the English fans were talking about themselves when they said they weren't devastated and it was just an ODI. Of course to the ODI team to get so close and then lose would be a bitter pill to swallow - but no-one afaik was suggesting otherwise. They were talking about their own feelings of indifference rather than the players.
Mate you just made a post attacking me in general as a poster. Apologies if I didn't feel like responding to that and therefore made a "salient" point.

Regarding England being better off getting thumped than choking, I believe this will have destroyed the dressing room more. Look at all the quotes about how emotional the dressing room is right now. Now if as an England fan that doesn't bother you because you lost the tests than fine. But I can't imagine that when Faulkner hit those runs English fans were not fussed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jono surely if you didn't feel like responding when attacked as a poster you'd never post at all?

Adders

Rather than employing your usual strategy of making a claim without any basis, why don't you prove a point for once

Go on, humor me

Who is this miracle bowler that we could have selected but didn't?
You'll get no direct answer from him as he thrives on these little games......but I'd also like to know who the **** he is talking about? Aus only have 1 bowler currently ranked in the top 10 and that's Johnson sitting at No10 and if irc he played in all games?.......so how they have the worlds best is slightly amusing in itself......even Steven Finn is ranked higher than any Aussie!!

So come on Benchy, I know we are all way below you in terms of cricketing knowledge so how about you throw us a bone and enlighten us??

Edit:

I see Clint McKay is actually sitting joint 10th with Mitch in the rankings.......was he rested from the Champions Trophy to be fit for the test series?

Last edited:

benchmark00

Anyone who's watched one day cricket closely in the past 18 months would know who I was talking about. The fact that you didn't is embarrassing. As a hint how about you look up his cricinfo page or Wikipedia page and work from there matey.

Adders

How about you just tell us so the point can be discussed? You're claiming this bowler to be the worlds best ODI bowler, there is no one in the Aussie setup that clearly fits that description so you're asking us to speculate on what is very much your opinion.

Just tell us FFS.

Adders

OK, it's a quiet lazy Sunday morning and I've nothing better to do so lets play this childish game......

So we're trying to identify a fast bowler that was rested during the CT to save him for the Ashes, a bowler who in your opinion is the best ODI bowler in the world. Quick bowlers the Aussies used during the Ashes were......

James Pattinson
Ryan Harris
Peter Siddle
Mitchell Starc
Jackson Bird
James Faulkner
Shane Watson

So from my memory of the CT Starc played 1 (?) game and Harris, Pattinson didn't play at all.......so safe to say we are looking at 1 of these 3?

IMO the only credible candidate out of that lot that you could put forward as being the "best in the world" would be Ryan Harris, but he's only played 4 ODI's in the last 2 years and taken 3 wickets at 57......so we can scratch him.

Pattinson? 15 ODI career wickets at 32.......don't think we are calling him the worlds best are we?

So it comes back to Starc. The ICC rankings say he is 48th in the world, I'd be interested to hear your argument as to why you consider him to be the best and why "resting" him for the CT is any indication that the Aussies weren't taking the tournament seriously.

Spark

Global Moderator
Starc was pretty damn good the summer previous tbf. Consistently bowled near-unplayable inswinging yorkers.

Adders

Starc was pretty damn good the summer previous tbf. Consistently bowled near-unplayable inswinging yorkers.
I don't dispute that at all and I rate him very highly in the one day form and there is no way I think his lower ranking is a real representation of his standing. But best in the world?? Look I think that is a real stretch and I also think that resting him was no indication that the Aussies weren't taking the CT seriously........you could say they prioritised the Ashes for Starc which would be fair, but going beyond that is folly IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.