• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket related stuff that doesn't really deserve a thread

SillyCowCorner1

My interest in cricket from pre-WWII has been given a booast after having a dream this week of being at the SCG for McCabe's ton.

A few days after someone here posted something on the 'Timeless' test match.

Also, I saw Bradman practicing his batting using a stump and a golf ball...and his fielding/catching using the golf ball and a fence/scantling.

Shady Slim

i know that belarusian soccer is one of the ongoing sports leagues in the world still... i wonder if there's any obscure cricket league going on somewhere still

AndrewB

66 years ago today, the great Sir Garry Sobers made his test debut at the age of 17.

He made 14* and 26; match figures of 4 for 81
And impressed Jim Swanton: "Sobers made an excellent impression. He is a slim young man who runs lightly up to the wicket and the arm almost touches the ear as it comes over... It will be surprising if we do not come to know his name well in the years ahead" and "Sobers played easily and with no small power for one of his years".

SillyCowCorner1

And impressed Jim Swanton: "Sobers made an excellent impression. He is a slim young man who runs lightly up to the wicket and the arm almost touches the ear as it comes over... It will be surprising if we do not come to know his name well in the years ahead" and "Sobers played easily and with no small power for one of his years".
In essence, a freak.

SillyCowCorner1

Just a random stat which I find interesting.

58 of Terry Alderman's 170 test wicket were LBW. That's over a third (34.1%).

Gooch- 5 out of 7 times
Gatting 4 out of 4 times
Logie 2 out of 2 times.

Starfighter

Does anyone know record for lbw's in a match? I was watching highlights of West Indies vs Pakistan 1st test 1993 today. There were seventeen. If that's not a record it's gotta be close.

Brilliant innings by Haynes too, carrying his bat for 143* in the second innings.

honestbharani

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29014288/australia-control-ball-tampering-scandal-ian-gould

I mean, that is pretty horrific when one of the universally well regarded umpires talks about an international team like this:

Ian Gould said:
"I didn't realise what the repercussions would be. If you look back on it now, Australia were out of control probably two years, maybe three years, before that, but not in this sense. Maybe - behavioural, chatty, being pretty average people,"

Of course, its not like it had been called out or anything here in CW before.

honestbharani

Yeah, its not like they were coached by a guy who once called Sri Lankan players one of the most obvious racial slurs in the history of the game or anything.. 8-) Would love to see how TJB defends this one. :p :laugh:

TheJediBrah

haha actually a good come back from you. First time for everything I guess.

But yeah not really any new info here. Aus cricket team have been (with some exceptions tbf) a pack of assholes for decades now

Shady Slim

interesting that the latest article from that gould book on cricinfo's saying that the umpires suspected something about australia well before newlands

i thought it was a sting by the saffer television crew but apparently it was ump-backed