• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Match - Ireland v West Indies

Niall

All the more reason to hope West Indies win today as they should minnows devalue this tournament.

What have the West Indies shown in the last few years that should concern any ODI side with any serious ambitions of winning the world cup? They have been as woeful in ODI cricket as they have been in test cricket.

A freak result and also a very unfortunate one for the game, more often that not a minnow like Ireland would fall well short of such a target, a plucky effort from them.

West Indies now need to win one of the matches against a Test playing team, (Pakistan would be most likely) and order would be restored thankfully we don't have the 2007 where a minnow has one good day and get rewarded by an extra few weeks in the tournament where they take beating after beating and make a mockery of the tournament.

Ugh, the revisionism for 2007 is absurd. It was a ****e world cup in the end, but it wasn't just Bangladesh and Ireland qualifying which made it so. The hosts were useless as they have been in ODI cricket for a while now, Englnd were awful, a coach was killed and the crowds were awful. Their were lots of one sided games that did not include Bangladesh and Ireland. The semi finals especially when South Africa choked horribly against Australia and of course the other where NZ were battered. The final of course was a farce as it was played in the dark.

Again why does the World Cup need the West Indies? What have they shown in the last few years to suggest they would not be cannon fodder in the world cup knock outs?

Since 1996 when West Indies slipped up v Kenya they gave always done ok against the minnows, their recent form has been bad but that shouldn't matter against a non Test Playing team, afterall Joyce is no AB and Mooney is no Steyn or Morkel.

Ireland themselves lost to Scotland last week as well as Bangladesh so it's not like this result is exactly the start of a great new team because it isn't. I don't see ireland beating any other Test playing teams in their group, so providing West Indies can, order will probably be restored, still something for the Irish players and fans to tell their grand kids about in years to come, but ultimately this result will be insignificant as far as the tournament goes.

Meh, warm ups are worthless, Zimbabwe beat Sri Lanka comfortably, heck Pakistan looked quite good against England. You seen them Yesterday, they were crap.

Ireland are still outsiders to qualify but it was a fun match and most people will remember it. Heck everyone remembers the chase against England as most would agree that was one of the more memorable results of that World Cup.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha, amazing.

Particularly because of some of the condescending nonsense posted in this thread.

Daemon

Lol, you guys laugh about going to PakPassion and trolling but here you all are getting riled up by a blatant troll.

Julian87

Don't have the time to read the entire thread after working all day, but was their much said about the disgraceful XI picked by West Indies?

One of Benn and Miller should have played (if not both). Couldn't be more obvious IMO.

This is not what I'm getting at but fmd mediocre medium pace is going the distance in this tournament so far.

G.I.Joe

well Ireland may be excluded from the next world cup so at least the Windies don't have to worry about a repeat performance in 2019
All Ireland have to do to play the next World Cup is to ensure they're ranked among the top 9/10/whatever number of teams that will participate.

Burgey

Yeah, that's the thing. No one's calling it an upset at all. Lots here picked them to win it. I'm pretty devastated for Holder at the moment... I rate him as a cricketer but captaining such a bad team governed by the most incompetent board in cricket (which is saying something) has to be the most demoralising job in world cricket right now.
Yeah this is the sad thing. A good prospective cricketer could get wasted in that job right now

Bahnz

All Ireland have to do to play the next World Cup is to ensure they're ranked among the top 9/10/whatever number of teams that will participate.
Don't they need to make the final of a qualification tournament that is scheduled to be played in Bangladesh? Thought I read that somewhere. Tbf, I'd probably back them to do that, they've got good spinners and batsmen - though Joyce must be getting to the closing stages of his career.