• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Albums you've listened to today

Red_Ink_Squid

Foo Fighters - One by One
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
Feeder - Polythene
Bradio - Power of Life

Last edited:

MW1304

Hot Cross - Cryonics
Orchid - Chaos is Me
envy - Insomniac Doze

Your Cap'n Jazz post has sent me into a bit of a emo/screamo spiral.
Along these lines, only found out about Indian Summer recently. The Giving Birth To Thunder compilation is something else.

Arachnodouche

D.R.I. - Dealing With It

He's old and cranky and he's got white hair
He yells at us in his underwear
He'll attack you like a crazed bear
But come on in, don't be scared...he's just my Nazi dad

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dear Frustrated Superstar - Nerina Pallot
Happy Pills - Candlebox
Fresh Cream - Cream

First listen for all of them. Each a charity shop purchase fished out from my "not played yet" pile.

Happy Pills probably the most pleasant surprise. It's less slick and glossy than I was expecting. I'd kinda written them off as pop-rock post-grunge copyists, but this album at least is better and rawer than I expected. Not exactly the Melvins, but not Train either.

Fresh Cream by no means a bad album, but it's pretty straight ahead blues rock, deific opener I Feel Free excepted. Given 1966 also saw Revolver and Pet Sounds I was faintly underwhelmed at its meat and potatoes nature.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Spent a lot of time working in the backyard.

Lana del Ray - NFR
AC/DC - Powerage
QOTSA - Songs for the Deaf

NFR is probably the first CW recommended album I've really enjoyed. Powerage continues to be favorite dacca album like, 15 years running. Gone Shootin' is an amazing song.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
On a massive stones kick at the minute

Keep going back to Aftermath (UK version - as discussed with Line and Length earlier in the thread it's vastly superior) and Some Girls. Miss You is probably my favourite Stones song, and was absolutely class when I saw them a couple of years back

Pothas

Never listened to either of those. The only Stones I know is that run from Beggars Banquet to Exile on Main St. they are all ridiculously good but I have just never felt the need to listen to anything else.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I'd say only The Beatles have ever put a stronger run of albums together than those four (Help through to ABBEY Road, Yellow Submarine isn't a proper album so doesn't count, neither does Magical Mystery Tour but the sequence stands either way)

I mean there's a lot of music out there so fully understand the lack of need to dive into everything they've done. Aftermath is the start of them as an album band though really. Before then they had killer singles and albums that were just bunged together (as was the norm really until around then) and that put them onto another level. Not sure if it would be your thing. Some Girls is class though, you're missing out. Questionable lyrics on the title track mind you, though Jagger did claim they were ironic.

Pothas

Will give it a go sometime, not listened to them much at all in recent years so due another phase.

He is never going to be for everyone but my favourite run of albums has to be Dylan in the 60s. The first 3 electric ones usually get grouped together but I would take it from Freewheelin all the way to John Wesley Harding. 7 albums in 5 years and so much progression.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I really need to do Dylan properly at some point.
Went to see him a few years back, what an experience that was.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I saw him in Liverpool Arena on a Monday night. Must have been on stage for 7 and done for 9 or so. Suited me, usually a midweek gig is a killer with work the next day

Stewards spent the whole night ensuring no filming was occurring

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's an interesting question, the strongest run of albums. Yer Fabs are pretty hard to top, but Neil Young's trot from Everyone Knows This is Nowhere to Zuma (6 LPs) must be up there.

My personal shout though, and he's admittedly a bit more niche but if you're a fan of folk/jazz/pastoral psychedelia at all you really should check him out, is John Martyn from Bless The Weather to Grace and Danger. Also half a dozen albums, neatly enough.

He misplaced the plot pretty spectacularly after that though. 81's Glorious Fool is almost up there with Dylan's Self Portrait on the WTFometer.

MW1304

Diamond Dogs through to Let's Dance is an insane run of albums on a pure musical level, before you even take into account the various reinventions and narcotic diversions.

Trouble is ymmv on some of those reinventions, so I can't imagine this would be a universal pick. Still, I love all of them and I can't think of anyone that comes close to matching that sustained creative peak.

_Ed_

I've randomly been in a Nightwish mood this week, for the first time in probably a decade. Today I'm listening to their Highest Hopes compilation.

I'll always have a soft spot for them as the band that first got me into metal way back in about 2001. Really haven't liked much that they've done recently with their new vocalists, but a reunion with Tarja Turunen for a world tour would be somewhere near the very top of my concert wish list.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Liam Gallagher - MTV Unplugged
David Bowie - Blackstar
Rolling Stones - Aftermath (UK version)