• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amazon Go

Agent Nationaux

Amazon are opening a physical store where people can buy what they want without going to the till, having to wait in queues and physically pay for their shopping. They can just walk out with their goods and are automatically charged on their Amazon account. It's pretty clever as the technology detects what you are selecting. It's pretty cool.

Now I'm not a Luddite, but can you imagine what would happen to the unemployment figures if all retailers implemented this technology. This is scary stuff.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Only because it's a privately owned company to some extent. Fully automated things are great, if the profits are evenly distributed to make up for there being no jobs for people to do.

inb4 libertarians

Daemon

I know next to nothing about the impact of compensation effects but I don't think there'll be that much long term unemployment if this does kick off.

Top_Cat

Would organise a group of people to go in and pick everything up and put down multiple times then walk out without buying anything.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Only because it's a privately owned company to some extent. Fully automated things are great, if the profits are evenly distributed to make up for there being no jobs for people to do.

inb4 libertarians
Yes let's evenly distribute the profits so that all the people share all the risk, what could go wrong? :ph34r:

Uppercut

By my count this is the 3,525,211th invention that's going to destroy the labour market and result in mass unemployment.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Just another application for the "Internet of Things" I guess.

Not really any more newsworthy than other similar services that are being/about to be rolled out.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, this will result in more unemployment. What will the people who are unemployed do? I know AI isn't going to be perfect in protecting human rights but unemployment is a larger worry, yes.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah, this will result in more unemployment. What will the people who are unemployed do? I know AI isn't going to be perfect in protecting human rights but unemployment is a larger worry, yes.
The problem isn't so much unemployment, more that peoples professions will become useless and they'll have to retrain. Which is fine, but there just needs to be systems in place to ensure retraining is smooth for everyone involved.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I wouldn't worry too much. ATMs didn't lead to mass unemployment among Bank Tellers, right?
Well it did on a branch basis but helped to create new jobs as banks could open more branches. So for some, it certainly did end up sucking.

indiaholic

There is no technological change that won't affect somebody negatively... That is just the nature of employment. Just like Bank Tellers were forced to move into sales, there will be a shift here too, just don't know where.