• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anyone written a book?

social

I'm a pretty voracious reader and as most of my public speeches have apparently been pretty well received, I recently decided to combine 2 areas of interest (i.e. reading & writing) with a view to writing a book

It'll probably be crap and is definitely more complicated than I first thought but I am determined to see it through

Anyone else embarked on a similar journey?

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Have a couple of 100 page unfinished manuscripts back from when I was trying to write fiction in college.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The worst bit is actually working out what to write about, I find. Once you have done that the actual writing bit is considerably less painful.

Edit: @ social

social

The worst bit is actually working out what to write about, I find. Once you have done that the actual writing bit is considerably less painful.

Edit: @ social
I actually found that part relatively easy as I am a strong believer in only doing things that you enjoy so the book will have elements of sport/sex/humour/killing

Developing a coherent and entertaining 50k+ word manuscript with character development is the hard part

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I actually found that part relatively easy as I am a strong believer in only doing things that you enjoy so the book will have elements of sport/sex/humour/killing

Developing a coherent and entertaining 50k+ word manuscript with character development is the hard part
Granted, the actual writing bit is inevitably a hard grind. But for me, that part is just an exercise in self-discipline and resolve. Actually working out what to write about can turn into a form of mental torture though. The research required in order to verify your idea is original and/or good enough to justify you writing an entire book about it can be absolutely nightmarish.

social

Granted, the actual writing bit is inevitably a hard grind. But for me, that part is just an exercise in self-discipline and resolve. Actually working out what to write about can turn into a form of mental torture though. The research required in order to verify your idea is original and/or good enough to justify you writing an entire book about it can be absolutely nightmarish.
Agreed

Just spent many days on a beach and have churned out more than 10,000 words by doing little more than spewing stuff that seemed ok

Reckon less than 20% will ultimately be usable

Last edited:

Top_Cat

That's probably why you shouldn't do that first. Just write, every day. Let what you write dictate which ideas seem worth pursuiing rather than waiting for inspiration or worrying about research first. You can't possibly forsee all the pathways ahead before putting pen to paper anyway, not writing because you don't think you have an original idea turns into an excuse for procrastination and you make room for ideas by just getting out what's in your mind now. Just shut up and write*.

* Not directed at any of you guys specifically.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
That's probably why you shouldn't do that first. Just write, every day. Let what you write dictate which ideas seem worth pursuiing rather than waiting for inspiration or worrying about research first. You can't possibly forsee all the pathways ahead before putting pen to paper anyway, not writing because you don't think you have an original idea turns into an excuse for procrastination and you make room for ideas by just getting out what's in your mind now. Just shut up and write*.

* Not directed at any of you guys specifically.
Yeah, this is ultimately v true.

Dan

Global Moderator

I'm, uhh, concerned.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A couple but not been happy enough to release full thing to an audience wider than me

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Just write your memoirs, number of lunches with dignitaries you've had ;)

Seriously though, good luck - not something I'd have the time nor patience for.