• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are the left stupid or just deluded?

Are the left stupid or deluded?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anil

the extreme left - usually bright but also displays naivete to the point of stupidity, deluded
moderate left - knowledgeable and wise in general counteracted by also being pompous, lethargic, completely uninspiring
centrist - more or less non-existent
moderate right - increasingly insignificant and trending further right every minute
extreme right - utterly dumb, deluded and completely vicious

Kirkut

Right and left ideologies to me are similar to alpha beta male ideologies. Both extremes are unhealthy, extreme right will give you fascists and extreme left will give you anarchists.

Spark

Global Moderator
Right and left ideologies to me are similar to alpha beta male ideologies. Both extremes are unhealthy, extreme right will give you fascists and extreme left will give you anarchists.
GIMH and Cribb to comment

Kirkut

GIMH and Cribb to comment
It's a fact. Fascists will not tolerate any other culture/religion/race/identity except their own and anarchists are very much against the foundations of tradition itself, the balance between the two leads to a healthy society. You don't have to look further than UC Berkeley riots or some women's march led by Madonna.

Uppercut

GIMH's trolling is getting less and less subtle. One step away from starting a thread called BURGEY IS A PAEDO.

Spintolose

I don't think 'the left' even exists. Only a simpleton would describe things in terms of right and left in these crazy and troubling times.

Munificent_Fool

Having been around extreme leftists (not radicals as such) and having been one myself for nigh on 15 years, yeah I can say, generally speaking, as a political movement they're both stupid and deluded. I'd put it down to a few things. Firstly, the international workers movement and the radical, leftist critique of capitalism, though having made immense and vital gains and many a piercing argument, ultimately failed. For different reasons, neither really exist any more. Plainly stated the existence of the evil empire and its international supporters provided space in which a critic could be respectably heard and considered a worthy adversary to the proponents of state captialism and the religion of markets. The critiques are still valid but there aren't too many people advocating the prognostic parts of Marx, and for good reason.

The second, though somewhat romanticised, is simply that we burnt through and then burnt out. Radicals of the 60's and 70's fought for things worth fighting for; Opposition to aggressive foreign policy, most notably in Vietnam and Latin America, and the uncritical acquiescence or downright support from liberals and conservatives alike. Civil rights at a time when they really had to be fought over. Advocating conversations on the changing dynamics and relationships between men and women; the sexual revolution. Rebelling against societal convention right down to the clothes one wore and the attitude one had to authority. These were all transformative and a threat to established norms.

Fast forward 30 or 40 years and the left mostly concerns itself with gender pronouns and a supply and demand problem with regard to "Nazis." It's just one failure of morally serious and intellectually honest, position assuming after another. Be it on immigration, sexism, totalitarianism, Islamism, hell even free speech we can't get right any more. And we used to be the unwavering champions of freedom of speech. Trace that back all the way to Thomas Paine for Christ's sake. No wonder the term "regressive leftist" was conceived.

For the longest time, euphemism, and debasing the currency of words was so much the weapon of the right. Leftists these days put them to shame. We've basically lost most of the principles and the sense of proportion that came with being on the hard left.

Having said all that, I only just realised that I've been catching up with a bloke who turns out to be a co-founder of the Brisbane chapter of the Jordan Peterson fan club. And let me tell you, the right is pretty fooking stupid too.

Anyways, just me rambles...