• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Games Growing Up

Daemon

Simon Says
Beyblade
Pokemon and Yugioh cards
Crocodile
Various forms of “tag” like police & thief, ice-melt etc

Red_Ink_Squid

In approximate ascending order of geekiness:

-Lots of 3 or 4 a-side football
-Table football
-Skimming stones
-Many video games (definitely my biggest timesink growing up) e.g. Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Smash Bros, Diablo 2
-Common board games e.g. Monopoly, Risk
-Quirkier board games, e.g. 221b Baker Street, Go
-Fantasy booking my little brother's Bionicle collection as a wrestling fed.
-Classic geek games e.g. Warhammer armies game, Magic: The Gathering card game
-A weird story writing duel game my friends and I made up to play during class where we'd invent a character each, and take it turns to write a paragraph of a story of them fighting each other. You won if you wrote a death for the other player's character that they couldn't think of a way to write themselves out of.
-Competetive microrebellion. My friends and I weren't really ones to get in fights (despite my pending showdown here with Neptune), or to bully others or insult teachers, so we needed other ways to express our teenage rebellion. Actually, one friend and I systemised it: we drafted a list of minor misdemeanors to commit in class. Stuff like who could last the longest into the lesson without sitting down, or going and writing on the blackboard unprompted, or playing dumb and not saying a word when the teacher asked direct questions of us, that sort of level. Scored diligently across a full school year, I was calculated to be more rebellious than my mate. Mods you have been warned.

Matteh

Championship Manager 01/02 - the game so good, people still keep it updated nearly 20 years later. A sort of metaphor for CW if you squint hard enough.
Ultimate Soccer Manager - Back in the days where you got tiny dots to follow as they ran around playing. Proper old school 90s fun.
Grand Prix Manager - Turned out that typing iamacheat opened the cheat menu. The game got significantly easy then.
Halo 3 - I have lifelong friendships from the sheer amount of time spent playing this and drinking at Uni.
Combination of FIFA 97 and FIFA 99 - The indoor football on 97 was amazing and FIFA 99 is what I would play all day during the summer holidays until the free internet came on at 6pm.

VCS' tennis story also ran some bells. Hitting a ball against a wall for hours and then going to tryouts is how I got picked for my area to play some regional representative games aged about 13.

trundler

Anyone else come up with back stories for random objects and people? Habit that has stuck with me through the years.

Matteh

Anyone else come up with back stories for random objects and people? Habit that has stuck with me through the years.
Trundler

A solid B student whilst at school, his devotion to staring at the hot girl in class got him in plenty of trouble. After graduating in Marine Biology, he surprisingly changed tack to take on a career as a journalist at the local paper. Now a decade into writing, he has progressed to writing obituaries and already has his own pre-prepared, just in case.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ultimate Soccer Manager - Back in the days where you got tiny dots to follow as they ran around playing. Proper old school 90s fun.
This was actually really ahead of its time. With a better match engine and a re-skin, and a few more features, it would stand up really well nowadays imo.

I also liked how this is the only game of its sort (that I am aware of anyway) that allowed you to offer bungs and try and rig matches.

Matteh

This was actually really ahead of its time. With a better match engine and a re-skin, and a few more features, it would stand up really well nowadays imo.

I also liked how this is the only game of its sort (that I am aware of anyway) that allowed you to offer bungs and try and rig matches.
There was a slighter newer version I only discovered much later on an abandonware site something like 10 years ago that was still good. Think it had lost the bung stuff (which I can't think of another game that let you do it) and was a bit neater around the edges but was still that view of the stadium as your 'main menu' of sorts.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah there was one for the 98/99 season I think. I downloaded it a while ago, might see if I still have it.

Daemon

Crocodile needs to be elaborated.
Everyone except the crocodile stood on upper part of the the play ground and said “crocodile crocodile may we cross the golden river?”

Croc was supposed to say yes, if you have the colour X

Those with the colour would go down

Once that was done, the aim was for everyone down to go back up and vice versa

The croc would have to catch as many as possible

Line and Length

Outdoors:
Street cricket
Hill trolleys,
British Bulldog
Ben Hur type bicycle races

Indoors:
Monopoly (played with my aunt who called it Monotony)
Swapping cigarette cards

zorax

likes this
Lot of new games I haven't heard of

Monopoly is a good one. I remember being a bad winner while playing, so in retaliation my cousins would team up and work as a unified group to take me down lol.

UNO another fun card game that I spent a lot of time on

zorax

likes this
-Competetive microrebellion. My friends and I weren't really ones to get in fights (despite my pending showdown here with Neptune), or to bully others or insult teachers, so we needed other ways to express our teenage rebellion. Actually, one friend and I systemised it: we drafted a list of minor misdemeanors to commit in class. Stuff like who could last the longest into the lesson without sitting down, or going and writing on the blackboard unprompted, or playing dumb and not saying a word when the teacher asked direct questions of us, that sort of level. Scored diligently across a full school year, I was calculated to be more rebellious than my mate. Mods you have been warned.
This is brilliant. What are some other examples of microrebellious acts and how were they scored

The story writing duel game reminds me of the Duel for the Ages on Rinkworks. Were you a fan? I wanted to do that with someone as a kid but didn't know anyone up for it. Did a lot of e-fedding though, which is kinda similar I suppose