• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Games Growing Up

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Driving past a particularly bad crash scene playing 'what's under the bucket?' was always a goodie

NZTailender

in seriousness, in terms of vidya games

THPS 1 then 2. Soundtracks helped forge my musical tastes.
Gran Turismo
Grand Theft Auto (get dose krishnas)
Shane Warne Cricket
Super International Cricket
California Games
Pokemon Red, Blue
ICC 2001
Police Quest
Sim City
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego

Red_Ink_Squid

This is brilliant. What are some other examples of microrebellious acts and how were they scored

The story writing duel game reminds me of the Duel for the Ages on Rinkworks. Were you a fan? I wanted to do that with someone as a kid but didn't know anyone up for it. Did a lot of e-fedding though, which is kinda similar I suppose
My memory is sadly letting me down today. I remember we had a whole page of predetermined acts of rebellion to commit, each scoring 5, 10 or 15 points according to difficulty. Some were head to head challenges, e.g. the refusing to sit down one I mentioned where whoever stayed standing the longest after class started got the points. Some you had to nominate ahead of time that you were going to attempt that particular rebellion during a specific lesson. Others were spontaneous and you could bank the points whenever you seized an opportunity.

Re the Duel of Ages - yes! That's exactly the sort of thing it was. I've never heard of that before though. It is a bit freaky seeing someone else playing our game (and a bit disappointing seeing the dates and realising they were playing it first). The main difference from skimming theirs just now is that they apparently strove to keep an internally consistent story. We'd deliberately do the opposite and change the location or time period of the fight or the supporting cast without warning between entries. Our rule was that whatever was written most recently was canonical.

Around our sixth form time we played a few of our games online and I've just spent a tragic percentage of my Saturday morning trying to track down an example, but sadly to no avail.

Red_Ink_Squid

in seriousness, in terms of vidya games

Police Quest
Sim City
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
A big 'yes' to each of these!

Actually, I didn't get very far with Police Quest but I played through Space Quest and one of the King's Quest series. Monkey Island was probably my favourite of those old point and click games.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Did anyone ever play the Freespace games? Nobody I know has ever heard of them but I sunk dozens of hours in those games.

honestbharani

Juz figured out there is a site which emulates all the old nintendo games. Have been on a sick Double Dragon run since morning. Finished 1 and 2 and into the stone quest thingy. Feel like I am 12 again.. :laugh:

SillyCowCorner1

Also, we used to play a game called "Slow four"

It's a type of cricket played where space is very limited. No big shots. Spinners bowl. Batsmen play defensive strokes.

In order to score a point, the ball would have to cross the perimeter of the pitch in the same way a four(boundary) is counted in cricket. There are several fielders close in (because where else would the field? )...silly-point, forward short leg, short leg, silly mid off, etc sillycowcorner lol...

It's one of the reasons why Guyanese batsmen can play spin bowling well.

SillyCowCorner1

I'll add that any ball that goes over the perimeter on the full(sixes in regular cricket) means that the batman is dismissed.

Red_Ink_Squid

Wow, it has stuck with you. By how much did it shaped your personality?
Hard to say, but I find it very therapeutic. Lots of fond memories of spending hours by the lake or sea side skimming stones with my Dad and/or younger brother.

The eldest squid child is not yet old enough to skim stones but will join in throwing stones into ponds and rivers with me when we are out on walks. Precious moments, can make me a bit emotional.

SillyCowCorner1

Hard to say, but I find it very therapeutic. Lots of fond memories of spending hours by the lake or sea side skimming stones with my Dad and/or younger brother.

The eldest squid child is not yet old enough to skim stones but will join in throwing stones into ponds and rivers with me when we are out on walks. Precious moments, can make me a bit emotional.
So I get the idea of what this is.
We call it pancakes. How many can be made in a single toss.

NZTailender

A big 'yes' to each of these!

Actually, I didn't get very far with Police Quest but I played through Space Quest and one of the King's Quest series. Monkey Island was probably my favourite of those old point and click games.
Hadn't played the others but I remember getting really far into Police Quest and got to a point where I needed to go somewhere but left my gun in the station. Went back to get it but the game wouldn't let me, with the computer character saying something to the effect of 'we haven't got time for that' and it just locked me out. If I continued on I got shot by a criminal.

I hadn't created an alternate save file in something like 10 hours of play so going back was a chore, never finished the game. Gave me a good lesson in creating frequent saves though.

vcs

There is some interesting science to skimming stones well. Saw a good YouTube video on it once.