• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Crimea

social

Potentially the biggest threat to world peace since I don't know when so surprised that there hasn't been more chat about it here

uvelocity

i dont know the whole history of it at all. but i have been wondering, and maybe soon to be enlightened - if the people haven't been bullied or tricked, and it appears they haven't been, and the vast majority clearly want to be a part of russia and have demonstrated for this, surely it's the right thing to let them have it. if tassie wanted to become a part of new zealand, we'd let em have it surely.

social

i dont know the whole history of it at all. but i have been wondering, and maybe soon to be enlightened - if the people haven't been bullied or tricked, and it appears they haven't been, and the vast majority clearly want to be a part of russia and have demonstrated for this, surely it's the right thing to let them have it. if tassie wanted to become a part of new zealand, we'd let em have it surely.
Crimea has been part of the Ukraine for nearly 50 years and Russia's only interest in the region is because of access to the Black Sea for its navy

Whenever there has been a problem in the region, Russia has committed genocide leaving most of the area occupied by Kremlin supporters

This time, they have gone a step further by occupying the place with 6000 troops and promoting an illegal referendum where "voters" only had one choice - vote for Putin or else

This is nothing like Tassie

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i don't think this is accurate

G.I.Joe

96% vote in favour suggests there's definitely been manipulation, but it's fairly obvious the vote would have been in favour anyway.

Uppercut

It's a pure publicity stunt that a surprising number of casual observers seem to have bought into. Politicians on all sides seem more interested in the legality of the referendum (totally irrelevant) rather than its ethics.

Crimea might secede into Russia eventually but it can't be done as the result of a snap referendum without a "no" option under an unjustifiable Russian occupation. It's eerie how closely the incident parallels Hitler's pre-war annexations.

jan

The question is who is the next on in line to peacefully join the loving motherland Russia...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Wonder if good old Putin would like to hold a referendum in Chechnya.

Bahnz

Do you have evidence for this?
There have been more than a few reports of pro-Ukraine rallies in Crimea being broken up by by gangs of thugs carrying AK's. Throw in the fact that it wasn't really a secret ballot (voters had to submit their vote into clear plast boxes in full view of the public) and it's fairly clear that a fair amount of strong-arming has taken place.