• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cyber-bullying

honestbharani

I used to spend a fair bit of time on CW doing this to weldone and hb. I always felt I was just trolling but it was probably bullying.
Spoke to hb on discord recently and exchanged numbers. Putting a voice to a name helps humanize them imo and he seems respectful, decent etc.

Most problems, personality issues etc online could be solved if we saw each other as actual people with feelings etc and then everything becomes banter and whatnot

Lol... I never knew I copped all this abuse. Guessing the year and a bit I was away for was good then. Look, I started in these forums when internet forums were a big thing and it was a time before social media and reddit existed. This was a wonderful place to have some nuanced discussion about cricket with some genuinely good and knowledgeable cricket fans who could rise beyond the partisan stuff you see on some of the other sites. I made some wonderful friendships through CW. I remember SJS was kind enough to share so many great books on cricket, including Steve Waugh's autobiography when I was not in a financial position to afford that stuff. And I never ventured outside of CC as we never had a computer (could not afford one till like 2011) and I used to browse off the college or browsing centres and then post 2007, when I got to work for a customer where these sites were actually allowed. I really did not believe in mixing things up and CW was always a place to exclusively talk cricket, for me. Maybe the odd wrestling discussion but that was about it.

And with Shri, it seemed silly coz he seemed to hate my guts for literally no reason. I was always reasonably nice to everyone at first and I really only went after hopelessly partisan posts that we see from some here. Over a period of time I guess my tolerance whittled down. I got married around 2014 and there have often been times I have been online when I was not in a great mood and sometimes I was blowing off steam here needlessly. That happened a few times with Shri but over time I think we both cooled down towards each other and I have had him on fb and like he said, we recently exchanged numbers, so its kinda nice there is another nice person I get to see in my life because of CW. Like SJS, bagapath, zorax and a few others.

One thing about the bullying thing. Daemon definitely was doing it and not just to me and weldone, btw, there were many more. IIRC, he often had a partner in crime too. I remember telling zorax that he must have had some rough stuff going on in his life coz of all this bullying and zorax mentioned he had a great job, hot girlfriend and great connections. And I remember thinking that makes it even worse, lol. At least if you got some rough stuff in life, there is a reason for you being a dick online. Anyways, the time I had away from CW and exploring other sites where you can have similar interactions (forums, reddit etc.) helped me realize it was really not worth all the energy on my side to cultivate feelings over online stuff, unless they are positive. Plus, as clique-d as it is, I did start to remember and miss the good stuff of CW - the drafts, the rankings, the tour threads where we can gambhir each other. Its why I figured I would give it a shot again. And it has definitely helped me during these lockdowns,, seeing how much better the community is, as a whole, than our individual selves. I remember GIMH mailing me during his mafia game and he mentioned how he finds me much more chilled out in OT. Maybe this is how it should have always been, but it takes a while to get there for some of us.

Now that I have ranted for no reason, in regards to cyber bullying, it is much easier to cut contact with someone you disagree with so vehemently that you think it has to be a bad person, trundy. Bullying is a bad thing even if it is done for a good reason. And I think you are better than that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's a fine line between bullying and trolling. Also it's important that you distinguish between mutual distaste and trolling e.g. I'd never claim to have been bullied by benchmark because it was a back and forth.

I'd say the difference with bullying and trolling is a tad subjective. For example I don't think anyone really thought Jono was bullied here at CW, he was the best poster around on most topics and everyone knew that when he was given constant ****. The zorax stuff probably blurs the line a bit more as it does get a bit more personal.

Ultimately it's tricky. You put your opinion out there to be dissected, so have to expect/be braced for responses you might not like. At the same time, someone else being wrong isn't the end of the world so we could all do with letting things go at times. I know this better than most.

Neptune

I was violently and brutally bullied on here for a couple months. I ended up telling the mods on them and they stopped, sort of. Now I?m the big bully and they are my bitches.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If you have interacted with them through VMs, off forum etc, I don't see how it could be a problem but you should both be on the same page.

I seriously don't like ****s who act familiar with you when you have not spoken or interacted in a long time except for some exceptions.
Isn't that exactly what you do?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've probably crossed the line where Dicko is concerned more than once but, in my defence, I've never said anything on here I wouldn't say to his face.

C_C really got under my skin too, more so than Dicko, probably. I think what most wound me up about him was that, beneath the ****ishness, he actually had a modicum of intelligence too.

Daemon

Lol... I never knew I copped all this abuse. Guessing the year and a bit I was away for was good then. Look, I started in these forums when internet forums were a big thing and it was a time before social media and reddit existed. This was a wonderful place to have some nuanced discussion about cricket with some genuinely good and knowledgeable cricket fans who could rise beyond the partisan stuff you see on some of the other sites. I made some wonderful friendships through CW. I remember SJS was kind enough to share so many great books on cricket, including Steve Waugh's autobiography when I was not in a financial position to afford that stuff. And I never ventured outside of CC as we never had a computer (could not afford one till like 2011) and I used to browse off the college or browsing centres and then post 2007, when I got to work for a customer where these sites were actually allowed. I really did not believe in mixing things up and CW was always a place to exclusively talk cricket, for me. Maybe the odd wrestling discussion but that was about it.

And with Shri, it seemed silly coz he seemed to hate my guts for literally no reason. I was always reasonably nice to everyone at first and I really only went after hopelessly partisan posts that we see from some here. Over a period of time I guess my tolerance whittled down. I got married around 2014 and there have often been times I have been online when I was not in a great mood and sometimes I was blowing off steam here needlessly. That happened a few times with Shri but over time I think we both cooled down towards each other and I have had him on fb and like he said, we recently exchanged numbers, so its kinda nice there is another nice person I get to see in my life because of CW. Like SJS, bagapath, zorax and a few others.

One thing about the bullying thing. Daemon definitely was doing it and not just to me and weldone, btw, there were many more. IIRC, he often had a partner in crime too. I remember telling zorax that he must have had some rough stuff going on in his life coz of all this bullying and zorax mentioned he had a great job, hot girlfriend and great connections. And I remember thinking that makes it even worse, lol. At least if you got some rough stuff in life, there is a reason for you being a dick online. Anyways, the time I had away from CW and exploring other sites where you can have similar interactions (forums, reddit etc.) helped me realize it was really not worth all the energy on my side to cultivate feelings over online stuff, unless they are positive. Plus, as clique-d as it is, I did start to remember and miss the good stuff of CW - the drafts, the rankings, the tour threads where we can gambhir each other. Its why I figured I would give it a shot again. And it has definitely helped me during these lockdowns,, seeing how much better the community is, as a whole, than our individual selves. I remember GIMH mailing me during his mafia game and he mentioned how he finds me much more chilled out in OT. Maybe this is how it should have always been, but it takes a while to get there for some of us.
Sorry hb. The simplest explanation is I was young and kinda grew up on the internet where people shitpost constantly for amusement so whenever I didn't like the way someone posted I felt it was acceptable to go around being a dickhead to them.

Lol at the bolded though. Was this recently? I only started working in 2018.

honestbharani

Sorry hb. The simplest explanation is I was young and kinda grew up on the internet where people shitpost constantly for amusement so whenever I didn't like the way someone posted I felt it was acceptable to go around being a dickhead to them.

Yeah maybe the 2018 Australia tour I reckon, which was when I took my break. WAs also the time when my daughter was born and then my parents were hospitalized within the next 10 days (mom after having been the caretaker for dad and then falling down and fracturing her thigh at the hospital) and I would have posted some very harsh stuff around that time, I should apologize to many here too. Amd quite a few of the things you guys (you, Burgey, sledger) have said about me is true too. Its just that its easier to listen when there seems to be respect on either side. The issue here most of the time is that at least online, the sense of humour varies from person to person and what is a joke to one is not it to another. NP10's post summarized it pretty well.

EDIT: I am saying I am sorry Daemon here, in case it was not clear, in my own rambling style.

Last edited:

trundler

Yeah lots of us have grown up in a Wild West kind of shitposting environment. I generally rein it in most of the time but I have occasionally locked a target and decides to be a dick to that person. Usually this means instigating shitfights. I don't enjoy confrontation anywhere and insults do get to me sometimes so it makes that habit even worse.

honestbharani

Its funny that I totally got it wrong and no one has even noticed it yet. I believe it should be "100s are 50s too". :laugh:

Lillian Thomson

I used to successfully wind people up on CW many years ago. It was always meant in jest (quote unquote) and never got wound up in return because I didn't care about it. All this narcissistic bluster and sarky one liners that some people still indulge in is so old hat it serves no purpose, but if people enjoy doing it just live and let live is my motto.

GoodAreasShane

HB, as someone who wasn't around in your early time here, I feel I perhaps judged you a bit harshly based on what I seemed to be seeing written around the traps, I can only apologise for that. We have had disagreements, and probably will again at some point, but all in all I hold no animosity to you at all

There's only one established member I genuinely dislike here, and I would have no qualms whatsoever saying that to his face if I ever had the misfortune of meeting him