• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Press release (bat edges)

SeamUp

Any idea what the current bat edges are more or less? This needed to happen but is it enough.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/482391

To maintain the balance between bat and ball, the playing conditions now restrict the size of the edges of the bats as well as their thickness. The restriction on the length and width of bats remain unchanged but the thickness of the edges can’t be more than 40mm and the overall depth can be 67 mm at the most. Umpires will be issued with a new bat gauge, which they can use to check a bat’s legality.

Last edited:

Daemon

Warner's gonna need some new bats
Haha nope, his T20 Kaboom is 1mm away from the depth limit.

EDIT: My bad, I read the chart wrongly. 86mm is the size of the aperture, the inside of the aperture is 17mm smaller than his T20 bat.

Not sure what he uses in Tests/ODIs.

Last edited:

SeamUp

Haha nope, his T20 Kaboom is 1mm away from the depth limit.

EDIT: My bad, I read the chart wrongly. 86mm is the size of the aperture, the inside of the aperture is 17mm smaller than his T20 bat.

Not sure what he uses in Tests/ODIs.
That is quite some change then.

I would imagine there isn't a huge difference to what he uses in the other 2 formats.

Love this pic. That was ahead of an Adelaide test recently if memory serves me correct.

Starfighter

It's amazing how much change there's been even over the past five years. I made a habit last season of borrowing a teammate's bat that made my 2012 Kahuna look tiny. It had about an extra centimetre on mine, and was lighter too.

StephenZA

This is a good step, but unfortunately it is likely to just drive some bright person to find another method or material etc to make the bats just as if not more powerful. Makes me think about what happened when they started limiting engine sizes in F1... was great for us road uses though when the technology hit the streets.

Daemon

That Richards picture is kinda misleading though. No doubt the bats today are much bigger but I'd like to see a side by side comparison of the two bats.

Starfighter

What's misleading about it? The bat on the right might be very slightly closer to the camera but not enough to make a real difference. Here's some further out shots if you want:

There's been more change over the past 15 or so years than there was from 1900 to 1970.

Daemon

The crop + how the GN was closer to the camera made it appear bigger than it was. I did acknowledge that bats are no doubt much bigger than previously.

zorax

likes this
From my understanding these new dimensions encompass most of today's bats.

The idea is to cap bat sizes at what they currently are. They cannot get bigger

Wait till they get heavier and batsmen begin to develop forearms like Popeye

Stefan9

Progress should always be welcomed not stopped. I am not in favor of limiting bats. I rather see the balls bowlers use improved..

Starfighter

How do you plan to improve the balls, and what effect would it have? It won't make any difference to how hard the batsmen hit them or mishits going fifteen metres over the boundary.

SeamUp

Progress should always be welcomed not stopped. I am not in favor of limiting bats. I rather see the balls bowlers use improved..
Progress to me isn't about swinging the bat as hard as you can to clear the ropes.

I enjoy test/ODI cricket most when there is a good test between bat and ball and not favouring one skill set. The ball is a scientific phenomenon that has worked brilliantly for the game. How else do you want to change it ?

That is never mind the fact of player safety which is being challenged more and more with these bats and T20 cricket. Baseball not enough, the players must wear grid iron helmets in the field ?

Last edited:

Starfighter

I'm not sure you can say the game is progressing when you have people like Chris Lynn who play the same shot for every ball, and succeed too. The artistry has gone completely out of batting.

I wouldn't object to balls which swing more though.

SeamUp

I'm not sure you can say the game is progressing when you have people like Chris Lynn who play the same shot for every ball, and succeed too. The artistry has gone completely out of batting.

I wouldn't object to balls which swing more though.
Power, strength gym work seems to be what is wanted in sports now.

I sit here and think why ?

Like you the artistry & finesse and skill (natural talent but also thinking talent) are more entertaining to me.

A batsman can back himself to half hit a 6 these days. Is that progress and good for the game ?

A ball that swings more probably sounds like a balancing act but an interesting quirk is when it swings too much often edges aren't found.

I think T20 cricket should be considered a different sport to proper cricket. There seems to be an over-flow into proper cricket that there needs to be change to get new fans into game which I disagree with. There has been passion for proper cricket for ages. Not many people are turned off it.

StephenZA

If we are going to blame anything for the current '6' hitting phenomana and high scores its not really the bats, its the lack of sideways movement of the ball. Particulalry the effect of the LO flat pitches. Your bat can be as big as possible but if you do not have the technique to adjust to late movement off the pitch or the swing/spin of the ball then you are going to fail as a batsmen. Hence why we do get the occasional series of under 300 runs in 50 overs, it is normally when the pitch is not flat and/or there is some swing.
So while I can see this change on the bat having some minor effect, until the pitches are made less flat and more competitive between bat and ball nothing in LO cricket is really gonna change.

Starfighter

Power, strength gym work seems to be what is wanted in sports now.

I sit here and think why ?

Like you the artistry & finesse and skill (natural talent but also thinking talent) are more entertaining to me.

A batsman can back himself to half hit a 6 these days. Is that progress and good for the game ?

A ball that swings more probably sounds like a balancing act but an interesting quirk is when it swings too much often edges aren't found.

I think T20 cricket should be considered a different sport to proper cricket. There seems to be an over-flow into proper cricket that there needs to be change to get new fans into game which I disagree with. There has been passion for proper cricket for ages. Not many people are turned off it.
I'm not sure I agree with your last few sentences. The modern way caters to how the modern audience views the game. If the passion for proper cricket was there them improper cricket wouldn't be so attractive right now.

I don't think anyone's ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of their audience. When it comes to getting new fans into the game sixes are an obvious way because they are immediately spectacular. And to hit more sixes you go to the gym and get a bigger bat. It works, that's why T20 is popular.

It's not good for avid watchers because every match begins to look the same. I can never remember what happened in the previous night's BBL game yet I remember one particular ball from Tim Bresnan at Melbourne nearly seven years ago, when I was thirteen and first getting into cricket. It was wide of off and seamed a long way further from off. Nothing really special, but I'd never noticed that sort of movement before so it stuck in my memory in a way not even the biggest six could. But for people who watch cricket like they watch an action movie, for simple entertainment, they aren't going to pick up on such details. A delightful cover drive along the ground simply isn't as interesting as a hoicked six over midwicket.

I think one thing that would make cricket more interesting is bringing back bowled as a dismissal. Caught at the wicket is the least interesting form of dismissal except if it happened off an exceptional ball, while bowled is the bowling equivalent of a six, if anything even more spectacular because of its immediacy and violence. Trueman bowled 103 batsmen while McGrath, with 250 more wickets, bowled only 76. And that's where I was going with a ball that swings more, because more sideways movement promotes bowled as a dismissal. The alternative is to go back to uncovered damp or worn, inconsistent pitches and let bowlers rediscover the art of the off cutter. Greener pitches would be good too but tend to promote edges over bowleds IMO. When's the last time you saw a pitch with a distinct patch that misbehaved? And the ball perhaps keeps low less than it used to, at least in Australia. Things need to not just more bowler friendly, but in a certain way as well. Go look at Michael Holding's 14 wickets at the Oval in 1976. Nine of them bowled. Would it seem quite so thrilling and impactful if seven of those bowleds were replaced with catches behind? I don't think so.

Since certain things are more attractive to more casual fans than others when it comes to having better balance between bat and ball you've got to think about how it happens, not just that it happens.

Bijed

Hang on, if they restrict bat sizes, and scoring rates fall as a result, we'll just get loads of draws in the new 4-day tests :ph34r:

quincywagstaff

I reckon that Barry Richards played a role in this change; it was a great visual demonstration of the change that convinced more people for this rule than endless written arguments would've.

Shri

How do you plan to improve the balls, and what effect would it have? It won't make any difference to how hard the batsmen hit them or mishits going fifteen metres over the boundary.
Legalize ball tampering to counter big bats.