• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round of 16 matches

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I can't help but love Zabaleta. Something reassuringly old school and solid about him.

Kind of footballer who still does his own plumbing

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
There are few things I hate more than a striker trying to be chip the keeper when a straightforward strike on goal is a better option, and that's the behind the leg cross. Learn to kick with both feet you ****s
Wat

The lob probably was the best option. He just stacked it completely.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Fail to see how people who have probably never seen him cross with his right foot can call it dumb tbh.

Spark

Global Moderator
This world cup used up all its awesome in the group stage. Knockout matches really haven't been good at all.
Feel that's down to the fact that there's been very few genuinely even matches on paper (in terms of quality), but the better team has often taken a long time to get into the game and/or haven't played anywhere near their best. Resulting in this game, which I think we've seen four different versions of now.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
@OverratedSanity, That's what happens when you get a bland thread title name. ***Official Round of 16 matches!*** would have seen goals galore and epic comebacks.

BTW, I would describe this round as 'clinical'. The teams that should have won, have done so (which makes me nervous for Argentina now).

OverratedSanity

Wat

The lob probably was the best option. He just stacked it completely.
Only chip when necessary is basically what I believe in. If the ball had been bouncing it would've been the best option. Chipping the keeper first time when he's running at that pace was always going to be difficult.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Group stages are always better and tbh are bound to be.

find games like this are more likely to see a late goal than they would be in the group stage though

Spark

Global Moderator
Wtf, Palacio. Have a look in the mirror, son, that haircut is an affront to aesthetics.

FaaipDeOiad

What was with the Argentina fans with Mick Jagger on their flag?
Apparently he tipped Brazil to win in 2010 and showed up to the game in a Brazil kit when they lost to the Netherlands, and has been spectacularly wrong a few other times, so is now considered cursed. I dunno if he tipped Argentina or something but I assume it's related to that. Maybe they just like him as an anti-Brazil thing.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Apparently he tipped Brazil to win in 2010 and showed up to the game in a Brazil kit when they lost to the Netherlands, and has been spectacularly wrong a few other times, so is now considered cursed. I dunno if he tipped Argentina or something but I assume it's related to that. Maybe they just like him as an anti-Brazil thing.
:laugh: that's brilliant

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So let's say a player is in the opposing side of the field and the only person in front of him is the opposing team's goalie. The player has the ball and (I know, unlikely) loses control of it and steps in front of the ball. He steps back and gets the ball and resumes moving...did that player commit a penalty since the ball was 'between him and the midfield line' (per wikipedia) and there was no other defender except the goalie in front of him?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not sure if I've misunderstood you but if I haven't then I don't think you have got it sorry :unsure:

basically, when an attacking team plays the ball forwards, there must be a minimum of two defenders (can and usually does include the keeper) between any attacking player looking to receive the pass, and the goal. It's more technical than that but that's the basic regulation

in your example, if I've interpreted it correctly there has been no pass played so there would be no offence.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not sure if I've misunderstood you but if I haven't then I don't think you have got it sorry :unsure:

basically, when an attacking team plays the ball forwards, there must be a minimum of two defenders (can and usually does include the keeper) between any attacking player looking to receive the pass, and the goal. It's more technical than that but that's the basic regulation

in your example, if I've interpreted it correctly there has been no pass played so there would be no offence.
Ah right...it only applies when receiving a pass - not if you're alone....got it, thanks.

Last edited: