• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Songs about real people

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hurricane by Bob Dylan is famously about the wrongly convicted middleweight boxer Ruben "Hurricane" Carter.

U2's Pride (In The Name of Love) & MLK are both about Martin Luther King jr.

Line and Length

A couple more:

Eric Clapton's "Layla" is a pseudonym for Pattie Boyd (who was married to George Harrison at the time). Noth Clapton and Harrison wrote other songs dedicated to Boyd.

Pink Floyd's "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" is all about former Pink Floyd member Syd Barrett.

Shady Slim

two that i learned about when doing my extension history major work project in year 12

lily, rosemary and the jack of hearts (bob dylan), the character of big jim in the song was said to be based on jim fisk, one of the robber barons notorious for his role in the black friday gold crash of 1869

and

confessions of an economic hitman (antiflag), based on the book of the same name by john perkins detailing his role helping coup leaders hostile to the usa in developing countries and actions of others who do

Howe_zat

Was it about her box
Probably, yeah.

Meat-eating orchids forgive no one just yet
Cut myself on angel hair and baby's breath
Broken hymen of your Highness, I'm left back
Throw down your umbilical noose so I can climb right back

You’d struggle to get Betway to advertise on it, that’s all I’m saying.

andruid

Africa's cold war tin pots had loads of songs about them. Especially Mobutu

Last edited: