• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The American Politics thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol.

Christie's a dickhead. Was often very public anti-islamophobia, and now endorsed Trump.

here's to self interest (y)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lol.

Christie's a dickhead. Was often very public anti-islamophobia, and now endorsed Trump.

Don't underestimate just how much Christie hates Rubio and Cruz. There's definitely some self-interest at play but I think he probably does actually prefer Trump out of the three who have a shot.

_Ed_

Lol.

Yeah, disappointing. He went up in my estimations after Sandy, but that's long gone now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Don't underestimate just how much Christie hates Rubio and Cruz. There's definitely some self-interest at play but I think he probably does actually prefer Trump out of the three who have a shot.
meh, its still a sellout. Just don't endorse, instead of talking about how long Trump has been a friend etc.

in the end they're all scum bags, and the party is a joke. So means nothing really - if he endorses Cruz its just as lame.

Look forward to them getting smacked in the general.

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh man, that NYT piece on the anti-Trump movement at the GOP top level is amazing. The idea that they would actively (if very quietly) work to make sure HRC wins to minimize down-ballot damage and save their 2020 prospects is just incredible.

Fusion

Global Moderator
It would be the most incredible thing ever to see the Senate Republicans campaigning against their own Presidential candidate. Please God, let Trump win the nomination!

Gnske

Trump getting the nomination, I'd be shattered if he was denied and all the potential gold was washed down the drain.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Trump running as third party candidate will probably tilt the election the Dems' way, but him being the Republican nominee all but guarantees it. There is far greater angst and entertainment value in him being the nominee and the Reoublicans mounting a third party conservative challenge (say a Rick Perry or even a Ted Cruz). That would be pure gold.

RossTaylorsBox

I've got a feeling Trump will tone it down after he gets the nomination. Either that or he'll double down to secure the all-important 4chan demographic.

Spark

Global Moderator
I've got a feeling Trump will tone it down after he gets the nomination. Either that or he'll double down to secure the all-important 4chan demographic.
Yeah, will be the most shameless run to the centre in history. Will work about as well for him as Mitt Romney's did.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Looks like this is the beginning of the end of Sanders. Was fun while it lasted, but Clinton will dominate the African American vote and you can't win the democratic nomination without at least doing reasonably well with them.

Hurricane

Long time reader of the thread: first time poster this election cycle I believe.

I want to have my say - please go easy on me as this will be a long post and I may not put enough caveats into it or pick the perfect words.

There are two aspects to any leadership position, how good is your judgement/discernment and secondly how good is your leadership. For example love him or hate him I rate Obama as a good leader who had poor judgement. If a cyclone or hurricane hits he drops everything and immerses himself amongst the people and promises to lead them out of trouble. When a national trajedy occurs with some gun lunatic killing 25 people for no reason then Obama knows he has to say something because the country needs to be settled and he acts. That is leadership. I don't agree however with the details in this Iran Nuclear deal and it seems like the US got hoodwinked at the bargaining table. Hence I would say that on that example Obama had poor judgement or was a bad decision maker. In general I don't rate his decision making.
Where am I going with this? I wish to rate each candidate based on leadership and judgement and comment on who would be the best President.

Democrats

1) Sanders - 0 judgement the country would go into debt default with his ideas. 8 out of ten leadership. I think he is charismatic despite his age.
2) Clinton - 8 out of ten judgement. 6 out of ten leadership. It will take a strong republican candidate to beat her and I don't think the US would go to the dogs if she was elected.

Republicans

1) Trump 9 out of ten judgement. 6 out of ten leadership. Some people like his leadership, I think his handling of Jeb Bush in the debates was cringe worthy and if he treats an opponent like that he will treat some other people like that too. I don't know if his soft skills are soft enough effectively. However he won't be over compromising and will get on well with some world leaders.
As for his judgement - he is a centrist. The fact that he is not spouting right wing political beliefs appeals to my sense of what is good judgement. Let's leave aside some of his controversial remarks about Muslims which I believe Hilary will have a field day against him with.
Out of the republicans I rate him the best of a bad bunch. If I were american and were to vote I would go Democrat for the record so I am not saying I am a trump fan.

2) Rubio 1 out of ten judgement 5 out of ten leadership. He got crucified by Christie in a debate and looked like a rookie. And he is a rookie senator. Why he is running in the first place (same comment for Cruz).

3) Cruz 2 out of ten for judgement. 8 out of ten for leadership. Goodness some of the answers that Cruz gives to questions sound incredible. He must get up and practice answering questions with his trainers for 4-5 hours per day. His preparation shows and it makes me think he could do a good a job as Obama or any other previous president in steadying the nation if some words need to be said following a crisis. I have marked him a 2 out of ten for judgement (and also Rubio low) for his plan for tax reform. "Let's get rid of the IRS by having a flat tax". Really seriously. Maybe it is because I work for a tax department that I laugh at this I don't know but seriously? I think you could seriously simplify the tax code by doing away with progressive tax rates and having one rate, but someone needs to administrate and actually, well you know, collect the money. However, I may have caught the wrong end of the stick and perhaps both him and Rubio just want to radically reduce the size of the IRS? in which case I will apologise profusely. In their sound bites they talked about doing away with the IRS.

4) Kasich. 10 out of ten for judgement 4 out of ten for leadership. He sounds brilliant with policy answers. I think he would make a great fist of being a president. However he doesn't even believe in himself so his leadership quotient is low. We all know he is lieing when he says "I beleive I can win". He has never believed in himself since the starting gun was fired and his lack of beleif has been a self fulfulling prophecy. A real shame as he seems so competent. If he was President I think he would grow into the role, however I think he would have stage fright for the first 6 months.

5) Carson. 0 for judgement. 0 for leadership. I have nothing nice to say. I think he is after a book deal by running for President. I think he is hurting the "Anyone but Trump" movement by even being in the race as he further muddies the waters and divides the vote. A surgeon or whatever he was has no relevant experience for running a country. I think it is an extreme insult to the intelligence of the public that he has put himself forward as a candidate and as such I regard every answer he gives in a debate where he presents himself as a potential competent President to be a deceitful statement since it is so far from the truth.

Hurricane

Thanks for the one or two likes you have thrown my way over the past few weeks Zorax. I have perceived them as olive branches. I will make up with you in a few months from now in due course.