• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian politics thread

Redbacks

the thing for me with this is it really makes it prohibitive for people from low SES backgrounds to do a try before you buy of a degree

it's fun to riff on arts degrees for doing a bit of everything and giving you nothing, but even in my third year i know a lot of people who still don't know what they want to do. they want to do something professional, so not a trade or the armed forces or the police, but doing an arts degree provides a great opportunity to sample a lot of things and see what lights your fire. gonna be a much less attractive option now for low SES australians to do this given it'll add 15k-45k on to their hecs (depending on if they transfer out of arts early) as opposed to 7k-20k.

see

especially for those people who've come from a background with very little by way of guidance and info on professional careers (the venn of this and low SES people is almost a perfect circle), that ability to try before you buy is enormous for them to find their passion but now you cop a really onerous debt burden if you want to do that
It's basically an attack on the group most likely to produce citizens who will criticise the current state of affairs. The last thing the conservatives want

Spark

Global Moderator
Man, I hope Sally McManus is pouring herself a cold one after the last few months. Forcing the government to implement JobKeeper, then the union-busting bill killed off, and now this.

Shady Slim

obviously tragic for the girls involved and i have a million sympathies for them and what they've gone through; cynically speaking, however, every now and then we get that sliver of news that reminds us the bad guys don't always win

and today is such a day

Burgey

did you ever hint about this? i feel like you did
May have done. Deadset couldn’t happen to a better bloke.

Bar Association has issued a press release saying they’re “deeply concerned.”

Yeah, that he got caught, as opposed to s******ing about it when he was in private practice and a NSWCA judge. Arseholes all.

Burgey

The somewhat interesting sidelight to this is that if the women sued and it went all the way to the HC, every sitting judge would need to disqualify themselves.

Will never get that far though, the Cth AG’s will settle for whatever they’re asked to pay. Biggest HC scandal since Murphy.

Shady Slim

The somewhat interesting sidelight to this is that if the women sued and it went all the way to the HC, every sitting judge would need to disqualify themselves.

Will never get that far though, the Cth AG’s will settle for whatever they’re asked to pay. Biggest HC scandal since Murphy.
this is a cool and interesting point, even edelman though? just thinking on account of the fact he's from the other side of the country and joined the bench well after heydon was taken out behind the tin shed

i suppose they'd still have attended the same functions, mixed in the same circles, spoken at the same events etc though, so he would probably have to as well yeah

Burgey

Yeah but on the court when the inquiry was commissioned and would have had at the least read it and had some say on its findings being released, I’d imagine.

Shady Slim

ah yeah that'd be right wouldn't it, checks out. like you say though it's moot given this'll settle if they sue, and provided it's not too traumatic i hope they can tbh. deserve something for it at least.

Burgey

Can't believe they hadn't rissoled that fella before now tbh.

Love the Federal Police. Can't tell us who forged a document in a Tory Minister's office or prosecute another Minister's staffer who admitted illegally leaking an AFP raid, but can call their media mates to have a cheer squad along when they raid a Labor MP's joint. Thew worst and most politicized police force in a western democracy.

Spark

Global Moderator
Can't believe they hadn't rissoled that fella before now tbh.

Love the Federal Police. Can't tell us who forged a document in a Tory Minister's office or prosecute another Minister's staffer who admitted illegally leaking an AFP raid, but can call their media mates to have a cheer squad along when they raid a Labor MP's joint. Thew worst and most politicized police force in a western democracy.