• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The British Politics Thread

Meridio

Theresa May's statement this morning perfectly encaptured everything I dislike about politics, and particularly her. Other than the usual empty soundbites and buzzwords, it was all about how the leadership challenge is good for Labour i.e. they're more concerned about being the party in power than they are about doing what is right for the country.

It's such an almighty mess, and rearranging the deckchairs now doesn't solve anything anyway.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Theresa May's statement this morning perfectly encaptured everything I dislike about politics, and particularly her. Other than the usual empty soundbites and buzzwords, it was all about how the leadership challenge is good for Labour i.e. they're more concerned about being the party in power than they are about doing what is right for the country.

It's such an almighty mess, and rearranging the deckchairs now doesn't solve anything anyway.
Perfectly accurate statement imo. Equally applicable to the Tories mind you.

Uppercut

Perfectly accurate statement imo. Equally applicable to the Tories mind you.
For MPs there's not much distinction between the two; they pretty much all believe that the most important thing for the country is that the other party isn't in power. That's why they chose to go into politics.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The fact that I have to hand over substantial autonomy to allow these frankly awful, not to mention stupid as ****, people to make major decisions about my life really gets my ****ing rag

Here we are at the brink of a major constitutional shift and these utter picks are chewing up time squabbling about what TV channel they're going to appear on, wankers

andmark

Interesting. They were expecting her to lose this morning.
Perhaps it was a thing of them reacting to the shock of the news and now that things have had time to set in and MPs have reacted, the odds of her staying have shortened. Paddy Power has a May victory at 1/6 (7/2 for her to go), and so they seem convinced she'll win.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Secret ballot and all, so things a bit up in the air, but apparently 128 have declared for May according to Sky

Will come down to whether the ERG loonies can scrape up enough support from the rest.

Could be close, but I would be very surprised if she loses

But if she does, what then? Just more chaos as a result of which we will see a lot of self-serving masquerading as "the public interest"

S.Kennedy

Yeah, it was a response to your 'frankly seen as a joke comment', which has pretty much no basis beyond what you think is happening, and is not represented by any figures from
A) growth in membership numbers since the last election
B) gains at last council and general elections

As for your bit about remain votes going to Corbyn.... You've not been paying attention have you?
This is a party that went from 50-60 seats under Champagne Charlie, to 8 and 12 seats at the last two elections!

Uppercut

Hard right just as good at this counting business in the UK as they are down here then
We don't know who the 48 letters were from, the hard-Brexit right doesn't really add up to 48 on its own. A few might have been submitted strategically because now is a better time for May to face the vote than after her failed renegotiation.

fredfertang

We don't know who the 48 letters were from, the hard-Brexit right doesn't really add up to 48 on its own. A few might have been submitted strategically because now is a better time for May to face the vote than after her failed renegotiation.
I think this must be right - she has a mandate (of sorts) if she wins this - the fact it went from 20 something to 48 so quickly certainly suggests some chicanery to me - will laugh like a drain if come the final count there are less than 48 against her

Meridio

I really struggle to put into words the contempt I have for them tbh. Faffing around with their little party bullshit - which is also what the Brexit vote largely was in the first place - while the country is going through fundamental changes that will directly affect the lives of millions of people. And where the result either way will achieve what, exactly?

You must need to have the most incredible level of self-regard to go into politics. Suppose when you're insulated from the effects of your decisions you just don't give a ****.