• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Cricketweb Science Thread!

Spark

Global Moderator
You wouldn't see anything at all. As you approach the event horizon, the entire universe would squeeze to that single point of light behind you, that point of light would become blueshifted below visible, then once you cross the event horizon the whole universe becomes spacelike separated from you and no light from any source can reach you.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Also it would take you only like 30 seconds to reach the singularity from the moment you cross the event horizon....
Wouldn't it be a bit longer if you fell into a super massive blackhole - though admittedly even in the most extreme cases only a few days.

Bahnz

I don't think this will ever be a problem tbf. Once you get into a black hole then every physical point of spacetime is spacelike separated from you (kind of the definition of a black hole, mathematically); which is a very technical way of saying that no light from any source whatsoever will ever reach you. You will be in total and complete darkness in perpetuity until you get shredded by tidal forces. By extension Hawking radiation too will only be something you experience outside the event horizon.
As you came right up to the edge of the event horizon would you still be able to turn around and see the entire history of the universe play out in the blink of an eye (I've heard something to this effect in numerous youtube physics docos)?

Victor Ian

I often wondered whether we can one day see into the past. Given amazing telescopic power is it theoretically possible to catch light rays that have skimmed the edge of a black hole and returned to us?

Spark

Global Moderator
As you came right up to the edge of the event horizon would you still be able to turn around and see the entire history of the universe play out in the blink of an eye (I've heard something to this effect in numerous youtube physics docos)?
Don't quote me on this yet but I don't see how this would be possible.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Wouldn't it be a bit longer if you fell into a super massive blackhole - though admittedly even in the most extreme cases only a few days.
Even the one at the center of our galaxy, it would take around a minute. For the absolutely biggest ever black holes, yea, you could get to a few days.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Don't quote me on this yet but I don't see how this would be possible.
You'd be able to see the essentially the future of the universe (until your black hole - and you - evaporated). You would simply look back (and stay there) and you'd see the future of the universe play out.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ah I thought he meant the past. Yeah of course you would see years of the future flash before you because of gravitational time dilation.