• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The tournament Overall

SkyBlue

Before this,2009 tournament was the one i enjoyed most.

-Australians blown away by Gayle-storm and getting bamboozled by Sri Lankan spinners
-An overrated Indian team getting bounced out of the tournament
-The Dilscoop and Afridi's trademark celebration both of which i believe were born during this tournament.It was criminal to not award Afridi Man of the Tournament.
-South Africa winning every game including warm-up games only to bottle it hard at the semi-final stage
-Pakistan scripting a fairytale come from behind world cup victory.Never would have i thought they'd end up winning this after they got battered by England of all teams in their opening game.And ofcourse who can forget about the opening game of that WC.Stuart Broad :lol:

All 3 venues were terrific as well.Idk ,i've enjoyed watching World Cups in England.I loved the '99 edition too.

But yeah,this tournament has been excellent and very competitive.Hope we get a new winner again.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

So far, the standout players have come from West Indies' top order, England's middle order, India's pace attack and New Zealand's spin attack.

Compton

This tournament has lacked some complicated NRR nerdery. The final few games in both groups are either dead rubbers or winner-take all effective knockouts. Rather disappointing for those of us who consider getting the calculator out to be an important part of following a world tournament.
Yeah I was hoping for a team to have to chase 140, but to go through have to chase it in 12 overs.

Howe_zat

It turns out the NRR nerdery is found in the women's comp. Going into the last game (England v Pakistan), the table looks like this:

So the possible scenarios are:

1. England win and top the group, Pakistan out
2. Pakistan win but not by enough to make a difference to NRR, and so England top the group with Pakistan out
3. Pakistan win by enough to move England down below WI, but not enough to overtake them, so Pakistan are still out
4. Pakistan win by enough to move ahead of England, knocking them out and WI topping the group
5. Pakistan win by enough to top the group, knocking England out in the process.

LightningStrike

It turns out the NRR nerdery is found in the women's comp. Going into the last game (England v Pakistan), the table looks like this:

So the possible scenarios are:

1. England win and top the group, Pakistan out
2. Pakistan win but not by enough to make a difference to NRR, and so England top the group with Pakistan out
3. Pakistan win by enough to move England down below WI, but not enough to overtake them, so Pakistan are still out
4. Pakistan win by enough to move ahead of England, knocking them out and WI topping the group
5. Pakistan win by enough to top the group, knocking England out in the process.
England went out and god damned slaughtered any hope the NRR nerds had. :D

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
yep its been awesome. I think 2007 was good but had a vibe of no one knowing wtf they are doing, which was fun but less professional. This one is professional.

The other tournaments were pretty good too I felt. Ultimately a lot depends on how good the semis and finals are I guess.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
yep its been awesome. I think 2007 was good but had a vibe of no one knowing wtf they are doing, which was fun but less professional. This one is professional.

The other tournaments were pretty good too I felt. Ultimately a lot depends on how good the semis and finals are I guess.
2010 was clearly the best

honestbharani

I have to say... after England lost to Netherlands in their home WT20, their performance that 2010 edition was amazing...

Aaron510

It has been a fantastic tournament.. Full of close matches.. There was something for everyone..

I hated the 50 overs World Cup that was played last year.. It was such a one sided wc.. But this definitely has been a great tournament..

SkyBlue

One thing though is the next edition will be in 2020 so any of these remaining 4 winning it will keep that 'world champs' title literally for another 4 yrs.Thats a pretty significant thing imo especially when we're talking about the game expansion in this format particularly.
Unlike previous yrs where you quickly forget the previous winners since it happens every two yrs obviously.

Burgey

It's a good format because it allows lesser nations who can't concentrate for 50 overs per innings or for five days to have a good shot at a win.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
All the World T20's have been decent tbf. They're short enough that they only need a handful of good games to be enjoyable and the format means there's little chance of repetitiveness or games not really mattering.

Burgey

All the World T20's have been decent tbf. They're short enough that they only need a handful of good games to be enjoyable and the format means there's little chance of repetitiveness or games not really mattering.
Good point this. The ODI WC seems to drag on forever, even for cricket traffics who enjoy most every game.

honestbharani

I actually enjoyed the ODI WC last year quite a bit too... I just think we need to mix it up with the Champions Trophy and a test championship somewhere so that we have sme ICC event to look forward to every year.. Plus all these tournaments happening once in 4 years would give a nice rhythm to the international seasons itself.