• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The TV show thread (many spoilers)

Shady Slim

i’m watching a ****** made for tv crime doco right now about crooked cop mark standen, and one of his offsiders went by the name bill jalalaty

but one of the narrators keeps pronouncing it jalataly, while the other’s saying it properly, it’s making me way more mad than it should

Kraken

i’m watching a ****** made for tv crime doco right now about crooked cop mark standen, and one of his offsiders went by the name bill jalalaty

but one of the narrators keeps pronouncing it jalataly, while the other’s saying it properly, it’s making me way more mad than it should
Yeah I watched the same thing, albeit absentmindedly whilst I was trying to study. I laughed when I heard that, how could they get that so wrong! The Len McPherson doco afterwards was real interesting too

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Speaking about trash tv, have ashamedly gotten into People's Court, Below Deck, Snapped and Hoarders whilst on lockdown.

Shady Slim

Yeah I watched the same thing, albeit absentmindedly whilst I was trying to study. I laughed when I heard that, how could they get that so wrong! The Len McPherson doco afterwards was real interesting too
oh yeah that was superb, and it was funny to see some of the same guys (clive small i think the guy's name was) get interviewed in both of them

tbh i can't study after like, 9, so kudos to you for pushing through the clock barrier

MW1304

Off topic has gone nuts, I had to go 11 pages back to find this thread.

Has anyone watched Devs? I'm a complete quantum physics noob but I quite enjoyed it, not as much as other Garland stuff though.

The main character was a bit of a void unfortunately.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Off topic has gone nuts, I had to go 11 pages back to find this thread.

Has anyone watched Devs? I'm a complete quantum physics noob but I quite enjoyed it, not as much as other Garland stuff though.

The main character was a bit of a void unfortunately.
Yeah I liked Devs but it had an absolutely awful lead. The ending suffered a lot for that fact -- I think it would have been fine if we had a proper emotional investment in the lead character but whether it was her acting or the writing I absolutely didn't, and other reviews seemed to agree with me on that. Some of the other characters we were meant to care about much less or even actively dislike were much more fleshed out. I enjoyed it overall but it could have been so much better.

MW1304

Yeah I liked Devs but it had an absolutely awful lead. The ending suffered a lot for that fact -- I think it would have been fine if we had a proper emotional investment in the lead character but whether it was her acting or the writing I absolutely didn't, and other reviews seemed to agree with me on that. Some of the other characters we were meant to care about much less or even actively dislike were much more fleshed out. I enjoyed it overall but it could have been so much better.
I think it was largely the writing, combined with how she was asked to perform. The actress can be good, she was one of the best things about Maniac, but it was such a mannered performance. And we just don't know much about her other than what we're told by other characters. I hate any time a character says, 'You're so brave... and strong... and impulsive. I love that about you.' It's really lazy. Odd since Garland is a writer by trade, and a good one at that.

MW1304

I'd say it's the best season yet. It will hit you but they've definitely left some bullets in the chamber, so to speak.

MW1304

Nah there's one more, but it will be a bit longer, 13 eps I think. Not sure if they're splitting it in two like they did with Breaking Bad.

Uppercut

Quiz was a lot of fun. Matthew McFayden's acting makes the Major so, so much more sympathetic than he was in real life.

Niall

Never really clicked with Saul, and gave up in season 4 but the glowing reviews of the last season means I will give it another go from the start before Xmas.

Ozark season 3 was very good, Ruth probably the most compelling character on telly, loath her at times, but arguably the only character that I can root for . Hell of a performance from that actress

Episode 9 was absolutely gripping and that ending.:D

Have finished Bosch, a strange show, very predictable, but also hugely enjoyable. Its very well cast and the perfect show to binge when you need to unwind in these times. Very cool that Titus Welliver who is hugely underated in Deadwood has struck it big with this .

Gangs of London ,,,couple of eps in and while its cool the dude who has done the raid is directing, not that gripping, its all been done before, will persist though.

Last edited:

Niall

I need help.

I have to stop watching British dramas with so much hype as they pretty much always underwhelm. Line Of Duty was fun for the first few seasons and The Shadow Line is immense, but even that is so long ago.

Anyhow,,,Gangs Of London.

If you are at home way more than usual due to the virus this is the type of thing you can binge easily enough,,but its pretty average stuff. Joe Cole is a terrible lead, trying to be Tom Hardy and its not a pretty sight.

In the middle of the season it did have some nice episodes, but then it got really silly and when it was all over we got nothing fresh ,,,and to top it all,,,this is a type of show that will run for about 5 seasons and get worse and worse.

The two Raids are great films so its somewhat of a shame to see Gareth Evans wasting his time with such a run of the mill drama.

MW1304

I need help.

I have to stop watching British dramas with so much hype as they pretty much always underwhelm. Line Of Duty was fun for the first few seasons and The Shadow Line is immense, but even that is so long ago.

Anyhow,,,Gangs Of London.

If you are at home way more than usual due to the virus this is the type of thing you can binge easily enough,,but its pretty average stuff. Joe Cole is a terrible lead, trying to be Tom Hardy and its not a pretty sight.

In the middle of the season it did have some nice episodes, but then it got really silly and when it was all over we got nothing fresh ,,,and to top it all,,,this is a type of show that will run for about 5 seasons and get worse and worse.

The two Raids are great films so its somewhat of a shame to see Gareth Evans wasting his time with such a run of the mill drama.
God this is so true. British dramas are so consistently underwhelming that I just don't bother anymore. Anything that looks vaguely ambitious or different usually ends up ****, and everything else is a bland detective drama called The Suspect or something.

Tbh there's so much American TV, and usually so much more interesting, that there's no real need to watch any UK stuff.

I'm rewatching Succession whilst trapped at home with the family (who have never seen it) and it remains the best thing on TV by a country mile. Hope to god season 3 isn't delayed by too long.

Niall

Broadchurch and Top Boy go alright.
Top Boy is a good shout tbf, its not groundbreaking fare but its very well cast so like it a lot. Probably was lucky it got such a long break as was able to switch it up for season 3 so nicely.

Broadchurch season 1 was good fun, but season 2 was a mess, twist, twist, twist, just outstayed it's welcome like so many British shows.

Its an issue with UK dramas, LOD and Peaky Blinders are fun for the first few seasons but are just unwatchable now and show no sign of ending or getting any less crap. The goodwill they earned initially squandered.

The better UK TV drama events genuinely seem to be a feature film or wrap up after a season or two. The Shadow Line , Boys from the Blackstuff etc.