• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Predictions

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
WCCC_SOMERSET said:
Yes. i tend to agree with u there. as well as aditya and sriram k. well i wouldn't agree with u on aussie_beater and vishnureddy however.
Harsh, Unfair, and Totally Unwarranted. A_B and VR are far, far from the Terrace Crowd.

Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
That is why no subcontinental side has a shot at this years WC, and I've been saying it until I am blue in the face, but still nobody listens...
Erm, rubbish. India, England, 1983. Yeah, it's unlikely, but you can never count them out.

aussie_beater

WCCC_SOMERSET said:
well i wouldn't agree with u on aussie_beater and vishnureddy however.but it is rather enfuriating(sp?) seeing so many posts about india doing this and that.
Ah well, tough luck mate... can't do nothing if you don't like my posts. that's the way things are.Also do you get infuriated at just seeing any posts related to India or just the ones that don't make much sense ?

Originally posted by Neil Pickup
Harsh, Unfair, and Totally Unwarranted. A_B and VR are far, far from the Terrace Crowd.
Thanks for the support, mate.

Rik

aussie_beater said:
Also do you get infuriated at just seeing any posts related to India or just the ones that don't make much sense?
Any post which says England will be trashed by India and India will win the World Cup I would count as the latter...One Day Cricket is an unpredictible game...

warrioryohannan

marc71178 said:
Hmm, try where you said:

If that's not a excuse, what is?

I NEVER said that India LOST because of the pitches, what i was saying was that the pathetic performance by the Indian batsmen had a lot to do with the pitches n NZ!

warrioryohannan

marc71178 said:
So now you want to talk about a good record in 2002 if you ignore the last month or 2? In that case I'd like to introduce England's games in Zimbabwe in late 2001 into the record since we're in the habit of changing the frame of reference.

In the changed scenario just go a bit more in the past, you will see that before taking on the mighty Zimbabwe England were having a real bad time
:P :P

[/QUOTE] Well, we will have to wait until the Super Six to have any hope of seeing if that's true or not. Fair enough NZ beat us 3-2 last year, but that's hardly enough to say which is better in a game as random as ODI.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not going just by stats, i do believe that NZ is a very good OD side !

warrioryohannan

marc71178 said:
Coming from an Indian fan that's a little ironic - how many finals in a row did you lose before that Lord's game? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Atleast we have been World champion once , England have been to the final thrice yet failed on each and every occasions:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

masterblaster

warrioryohannan, that is a very childish comment, that we have been world champions and they havent. Have you started to run out of retaliation and comments?

This is supposed to be a friendly board with mature discussion allowed, but you and your other 'pro patriotic indian cricket fundamentalist' buddies go about and annoy the hell out of all of us and give all other Indian supporters a bad name.

Wake up and smell the coffee beans mate! Why is it that nobody likes you and your buddies (ie. vandemateram, wahindiawah, TendulkarMark2 etc. etc. etc.) You guys dont present fair and decent views and just talk rubbish all the time which really does annoy everyone else.

Hell, I wouldnt be surprised if we lose to Zimbabwe again in the World Cup.

masterblaster

As Don Ricardo said, we have one of THE WORST bowling attack in International Cricket. Our Dangerous Batting is horribly INCONSISTENT , our fielding SUCKS , we have a Batsman POSING as a Wicketkeeper in order to add balance to an already poor side.

We dont have any decent ALL ROUNDER which South Africa and Pakistan and Australia (to some extent) have.

Kumble and Harbhajan will be USELESS .
Agarkar and Nehra will go OVER 5.0 RPO.
Ganguly is in the worst form of his life.
Kaif, Mongia, Bangar are all in terrible batting form.
Sachin was averaging .67 on his last ODI series.
We have NO decent back-up players.

How can you expect this team to win the World Cup,
when a team comprising of Jadeja, Tendulkar, Azharuddin, Robin Singh, Kumble (in his prime), Srinath, Ganguly (in his prime), couldnt win it in india?

warrioryohannan

masterblaster said:
warrioryohannan, that is a very childish comment, that we have been world champions and they havent. Have you started to run out of retaliation and comments?

What is childish? someone asked me as to how many finals have India actually won and i reminded him of something he might have forgotton!

[/QUOTE] This is supposed to be a friendly board with mature discussion allowed, but you and your other 'pro patriotic indian cricket fundamentalist' buddies go about and annoy the hell out of all of us and give all other Indian supporters a bad name.[/QUOTE]

Noone annoys more than you, when you start branding others as fundamentalist then it shows just how friendly your intentions are. I NEVER claimed that India will win the cup, all i said was that i tipp NZ top win the cup and it had NOTHING to do with their victory over India. That was just enough to stir some ppl to get after me and start bashing India when my initial comments had nothing to do with India!

aussie_beater

masterblaster said:
How can you expect this team to win the World Cup,
when a team comprising of Jadeja, Tendulkar, Azharuddin, Robin Singh, Kumble (in his prime), Srinath, Ganguly (in his prime), couldnt win it in india?
Ganguly did not play in the 1996 world cup, if that's the one you are referring to.

warrioryohannan

WCCC_SOMERSET said:
The funniest thing is that every1 who has posted in here from england not predicted that england will not win or even get to the final. whereas every1 from india has said that they will either get to the final or win.

Just gone though all the posts, only one individual has said that India will win the final!!!.But then when someone has to complain then he will complain in any case.I mentioned NZ as a possible champions in '03 (because i fell that they a very capable team led by one of the best captain in the game) and ppl went after me as if my sole intentions was to justify Indias recent series loss to NZ

Ringua

Bazzaroodoo said:
Hmm... P 10 W 4 L 5

Obviously India are a dead cert to beat us.
I was referring to the last 2 matches between the two countries which India won!

And if by winning 3 matches against Lanka can make one say that "England are having a good run", then surely victories in last two games against England by India has its significance too!

Ringua

Bazzaroodoo said:
Well SL are rated 4th in the world for ODIs, comapred with NZ who are 8th. That's quite a significant difference. (Incidentally India, WC favourites and all round dominators are ranked 5th).

Thats why noone takes that ranking seriously!
Few will deny the fact that New Zealand is currently a much better team than SL and are better place to make it to the semis in the WC than Lanka. Also, NZ happen to have played alot of their matches (in the early part of this year )without their 5-6 main players (due to injuries which are all back into the team now).They have thin reserves and that effected their performance and their ranking too.

Ringua

Bazzaroodoo said:

Sri Lanka can't perform in Australia. Nor can any subcontinental side. Why? Two main reasons would be strength of opponent and difference in conditions between subcontinent and Australia. Which country is most like Australia in terms of conditions? South Africa. That is why no subcontinental side has a shot at this years WC, and I've been saying it until I am blue in the face, but still nobody listens... :rolleyes:
If noone is listening to you then maybe something is wrong with you and your theory.

Pakistan (an Asian country ) won the '92 WC in Australia!:rolleyes: . India won a mini world cup in Australia (played in 85) !! Your theory that no Asian country can win a WC in Australia or SA is dumb and illogical!

Ringua

aussie_beater said:
Ganguly did not play in the 1996 world cup, if that's the one you are referring to.
I think he was referring to the '99 WC!

He did mention some players who were in their primes at that time (Kumble and Ganguly) but he failed to mention that Azhar and Jadeja who played that WC were well past their prime !

I don't think thats how things work, to assume that since a team with Azhar/Jadeja and Singh have failed, a team without them would definately fail.

NOTE: I'm of the opinion that SA will win the cup but am guilty of including India's name as a possible finalist, some people have been offended by that (and God knows why:rolleyes: )

Top_Cat

Pakistan (an Asian country ) won the '92 WC in Australia! . India won a mini world cup in Australia (played in 85) !! Your theory that no Asian country can win a WC in Australia or SA is dumb and illogical!
Ugh, I think you'll find he said they "can't" win, not "haven't ever won". You're talking about a 10 year-old Pakistani team and an almost 20-year-old Indian team. If you were talking about RECENT results (such as the last time both sides were here), you'd see that neither of them won anything other than matches against each other, which is more relevent to whether they can win the WC in a month's time. Why? Because the teams going to world Cup more closely resemble those of three years ago than those 10 or 20 years ago, don't ya think?

Ergo, on recent (read: MORE RELEVENT) results on bouncy, Australian-like pitches, India and Pakistan have very little chance of even making the semi-finals let alone winning the thing.

Ringua

As far as i can remember the last time Pakistan played in Australia in 2002 ( a three match oneday series) they actually won it while playing against Australia!!!!

Bazzar basically is/have been of the opinion that Asians cannot win on Aussie/SA pitches regardless of their team composition and i don't buy that theory.

I don't think that any Asian country will win the cup, but am pretty sure that one of them will make it to the semis.

Cloete

warrioryohannan said:
Just gone though all the posts, only one individual has said that India will win the final!!!.But then when someone has to complain then he will complain in any case.
i never said every indian has stated that india will win. i said they have predicted them to win OR EITHER make it to the final. it now seems as though they're also twisting our words to add further strength to their heavily flawed argument. btw sorry to vishnu. i was thinking of vanderatnam. also to aussie_beater i don't know how y i added u to that, very sorry m8.