• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Predictions

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
masterblaster said:
Hell, I wouldnt be surprised if we lose to Zimbabwe again in the World Cup.
But if that happened, then he'll be saying that Zimbabwe are a great side, and he's always believed it!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
warrioryohannan said:
What is childish? someone asked me as to how many finals have India actually won and i reminded him of something he might have forgotton!
No, I responded to a comment saying how England weren't much cop just because they reached a tri-nation final to lose, and asked the poster (which wasn't you unless you've got more than one username) how many consecutive finals India had got to and lost (about 11 or 12 wasn't it?)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
warrioryohannan said:

Noone annoys more than you, when you start branding others as fundamentalist then it shows just how friendly your intentions are. I NEVER claimed that India will win the cup, all i said was that i tipp NZ top win the cup and it had NOTHING to do with their victory over India. That was just enough to stir some ppl to get after me and start bashing India when my initial comments had nothing to do with India!
I don't think you'd find many people backing you up going after Masterblaster!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ringua said:
As far as i can remember the last time Pakistan played in Australia in 2002 ( a three match oneday series) they actually won it while playing against Australia!!!!
And we'll read a lot into a 2-1 series in strange conditions in the off season won't we?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
warrioryohannan said:
Just gone though all the posts, only one individual has said that India will win the final!!!.But then when someone has to complain then he will complain in any case.
In this thread maybe, but what about all the other threads we've seen over the months?

warrioryohannan said:
I mentioned NZ as a possible champions in '03 (because i fell that they a very capable team led by one of the best captain in the game) and ppl went after me as if my sole intentions was to justify Indias recent series loss to NZ
Right, and you rate them so highly that when I predicted they'd beat India 5-2 in the ODI series your reaction was one of disbelief!

Bazza

*LONG POST ALERT*

Neil Pickup said:
Erm, rubbish. India, England, 1983. Yeah, it's unlikely, but you can never count them out.
Yes I can.

Originally posted by Quickfire
India will definitely win 2-3 matches if not the world cup
Well I would hope every major test playing nation scores at least two victories, otherwise it could be very embarrasing!

Originally posted by WarriorYohannan
I NEVER said that India LOST because of the pitches, what i was saying was that the pathetic performance by the Indian batsmen had a lot to do with the pitches n NZ!
So what you're saying is, either way it was the pitches' fault?

Originally posted by WarriorYohannan
Atleast we have been World champion once , England have been to the final thrice yet failed on each and every occasions
So we have been more consistent? You won the world cup 20 years ago eh? Wow congratulations. I hope you enjoyed the celebrations. 20 years.... wow that's a long time.

Originally posted by Ringua
I was referring to the last 2 matches between the two countries which India won!
So you think 2 matches is a representative sample.

Thats why noone takes that ranking seriously!
Few will deny the fact that New Zealand is currently a much better team than SL and are better place to make it to the semis in the WC than Lanka. Also, NZ happen to have played alot of their matches (in the early part of this year )without their 5-6 main players (due to injuries which are all back into the team now).They have thin reserves and that effected their performance and their ranking too.
Well I don't know who ''noone" is, but they are the official world rankings! :rolleyes:

I would deny that New Zealand is a ''much better team than Sri Lanka and are better placed to make it to the semis in the WC than Lanka''. Of course we will see....

Finally - NZ have had injuries. I thought England weren't allowed to us injuries as an excuse. But NZ are? Go figure. :rolleyes:

If noone is listening to you then maybe something is wrong with you and your theory.

Pakistan (an Asian country ) won the '92 WC in Australia! . India won a mini world cup in Australia (played in 85) !! Your theory that no Asian country can win a WC in Australia or SA is dumb and illogical!
No it's because they are wearing blinkers. Again people make references to 1992 and 1985 - who cares what happened in 1985? There are no players still kicking around who were playing in 1985 (except Wasim, but he doesn't play for India). Also in 1985 one day cricket was very much a new thing. It hadn't had 20 years to establish itself.

Bazzar basically is/have been of the opinion that Asians cannot win on Aussie/SA pitches regardless of their team composition and i don't buy that theory.

I don't think that any Asian country will win the cup, but am pretty sure that one of them will make it to the semis.
Not regardless of their team composition - given their current team compositions actually.

As for your prediction - a very bold one that is. I mean there are 8 teams who really have ANY shot at a semi place, and three of them are Asian!

As far as i can remember the last time Pakistan played in Australia in 2002 ( a three match oneday series) they actually won it while playing against Australia!!!!
Pakistan in South Africa - lost 4-1 in ODIs and 2-0 in tests both by large margins. Not a side in form. Not a side showing strength in these type of conditions.

Sri Lanka in South Africa - exact same result. 4-1 and 2-0, with some big winning margins. What does this mean? As for Pakistan.

These were both in the last couple of months. ie NOT 20 years ago. India lost their last test series in SA 1-0.

SL in SA 2 years ago - 5-1 ODIs, 2-0 tests, both innings defeats.

Pak in Aus 3 years ago - 3-0 tests, all convincing

Ind in Aus 3 years ago - 3-0 in tests, 2 inns wins, 4-0 in ODIs.

I won't go back any further - you get the idea. Subcontinental teams tend to suck in SA/Aus type conditions (ie pace, bounce, large outfields, etc).

Here is the evidence right there. It's not an opinion, it is fact, and I would be surprised if any subcontinental side makes it to the final.

Eclipse

I always find touring teams from the sub-contenent tend to struggle with the slowler outfeilds and bigger grounds. They always have trouble hitting boundrys and shots they expect to go for 4s or sixes usualy dont make the distance.

Plus they quite often dont run when they hit a good shot just expecting it to go to the boundry then suddenly they realise its not going to make it.

Rik

warrioryohannan said:
Someone else was trying to do that, and he happen to be none other than Rik!
Oh yes drag me into it why don't you?

Sorry mate but I'm not interisted in getting mixed up in your problems.

Rik

warrioryohannan said:
Noone annoys more than you, when you start branding others as fundamentalist then it shows just how friendly your intentions are.
Mate, you do NOT say that Masterblaster (one of the most respected posters on this forum) is one of the most annoying. He gives fair views and has never once made up any of the huge claims that you and your buddies have, and which the team has failed to replicate...

You had better watch what you say.

aussie_beater

WCCC_SOMERSET said:
also to aussie_beater i don't know how y i added u to that, very sorry m8.
No sweat mate, we are all here to talk cricket, breathe cricket all in a friendly banter. Cheers !

Andre

Ok, enough of that. It's a silly argument that will only get ugly.

Back to the topic, please.

Rik

Andre said:
Ok, enough of that. It's a silly argument that will only get ugly.

Back to the topic, please.
Andre...I could almost imagine you as Graham Chapman of Monty Python then...

"Stop that...it's silly" :lol:

Bazza

Rik said:
Andre...I could almost imagine you as Graham Chapman of Monty Python then...

"Stop that...it's silly" :lol:
Hehe yeah... :lol:

Come on Rik - this is not the topic of the thread now is it?

I predict some runs will be scored, wickets will be taken, matches will be won and lost, and there will be lots of attractive bikini clad South Africans in the crowd. Hopefully female ones.

Ringua

marc71178 said:
And we'll read a lot into a 2-1 series in strange conditions in the off season won't we?
Someone asked me as to what did Pakistan achieved in Australia the last time they went there and i just answered that.

As for strange conditions, the conditions were more stranger to Pakistan than to Australia as Pakistan was playing indoors for the first time ever!! As for off seasons, it was kind of off season for Pakistan too considering they had not been playing much cricket before that because of security reasons.Also Pakistan was missing the services of 2 main players in that series!

Pakistan won that series because they were charged up, playing like a unit( something that is uncommon)and Akhter/Akram were going great guns.Fortunately or unfortunately they are a disrupted unit now and as such cannot do much in WC (irrespective of where the WC would have been being played, either in SA or Asia)!

Ringua

Bazzaroodoo said:
*LONG POST ALERT*

So you think 2 matches is a representative sample.[/QUOTE]

I think i've already answered that question

[/QUOTE] Well I don't know who ''noone" is, but they are the official world rankings! :rolleyes:

I would deny that New Zealand is a ''much better team than Sri Lanka and are better placed to make it to the semis in the WC than Lanka''. Of course we will see....

Finally - NZ have had injuries. I thought England weren't allowed to us injuries as an excuse. But NZ are? Go figure. :rolleyes: [/QUOTE]

No point in arguing with you on the merits of that ranking,

As for Kiwi injuries, i knew some Englishmen would bring up the issue of England missing their injured players.The difference here is that all the NZ's Injured players have returned to the side in contrast England are still without some of their key players and will be without them in the WC! I'm not a Kiwi fan and as such am hardly interested in excuses, but i can see that a ful fledge NZ side can go all the way to the semis or even to the final in the WC, unfortunately England won't have a full fledge side!Sigh!

Ringua

Pakistan in South Africa - lost 4-1 in ODIs and 2-0 in tests both by large margins. Not a side in form. Not a side showing strength in these type of conditions.

Sri Lanka in South Africa - exact same result. 4-1 and 2-0, with some big winning margins. What does this mean? As for Pakistan.

These were both in the last couple of months. ie NOT 20 years ago. India lost their last test series in SA 1-0.

SL in SA 2 years ago - 5-1 ODIs, 2-0 tests, both innings defeats.

Pak in Aus 3 years ago - 3-0 tests, all convincing

Ind in Aus 3 years ago - 3-0 in tests, 2 inns wins, 4-0 in ODIs.

I won't go back any further - you get the idea. Subcontinental teams tend to suck in SA/Aus type conditions (ie pace, bounce, large outfields, etc).

Here is the evidence right there. It's not an opinion, it is fact, and I would be surprised if any subcontinental side makes it to the final. [/B]

First of all there is a big difference between Onedayers and test matches, learn it fast mate.

I have already said that Pakistan won't do much in WC(in my earlier post) because of reasons other than have been stated by you.They didn't just started losing once they were in SA, they were in horrible state even while playing in Kenya, Morocco and SL!!!

I do believe that India would do well in the WC, but they will fall short of winning it. Atleast India would reach the semis of the WC, along with Aus, NZ and SA!

warrioryohannan

marc71178 said:
In this thread maybe, but what about all the other threads we've seen over the months?

We have seen many strange things in other threads over the months, do you want to discuss all that over here??

[/QUOTE] Right, and you rate them so highly that when I predicted they'd beat India 5-2 in the ODI series your reaction was one of disbelief!
[/QUOTE]
I had myself predicted before the start of the series that NZ will win the onedayers , but i never expected that the series would be so ONE SIDED!

warrioryohannan

Bazzaroodoo said:
*LONG POST ALERT*

So what you're saying is, either way it was the pitches' fault?[/QUOTE]

What i am saying is that the pitches were at fault for the dismal performance of the batsmen from both the teams something which the NZ borad is also of the view and have launched an inquiry on it BUT i am not trying to suggest that India were robbed of a series, even if the pitches were better, the better team in NZ would still have won the series!

[/QUOTE] So we have been more consistent? You won the world cup 20 years ago eh? Wow congratulations. I hope you enjoyed the celebrations. 20 years.... wow that's a long time.
[/QUOTE]

You were consistent alright but consistent in what exactly?? In losing all the three finals!
Yeah 20 years is a long time mate but it is still better than not having won a single championship ever!

:rolleyes: