• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Predictions

warrioryohannan

Rik said:
Mate, you do NOT say that Masterblaster (one of the most respected posters on this forum) is one of the most annoying. He gives fair views and has never once made up any of the huge claims that you and your buddies have, and which the team has failed to replicate...

You had better watch what you say.
If only you could watch what you have to say!

And yeah MB might have been a bit cranky lately, but he's still a long way to catch you:lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ringua said:
Someone asked me as to what did Pakistan achieved in Australia the last time they went there and i just answered that.

As for strange conditions, the conditions were more stranger to Pakistan than to Australia as Pakistan was playing indoors for the first time ever!! As for off seasons, it was kind of off season for Pakistan too considering they had not been playing much cricket before that because of security reasons.
I never denied that - my point about being the off season was that neither side was fully focussed on it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ringua said:
So you think 2 matches is a representative sample.

I think i've already answered that question

You have? Where?

No point in arguing with you on the merits of that ranking,
So what is wrong about those rankings then?

Looks to me like a more accurate set of rankings than anyone else has ever produced. And it also confirms what a lot of people on here have been saying for a long time - the middle group of nations are very close in ODI's and on their day any of them could beat any of the others!

masterblaster

Ringua said:
Something which we all want NOT to happen:saint:
What are you both trying to say? You dont like me? Well Thats your problem, about 450+ members happen to respect my views.
I dont mind what you have to say about me buddy, stick to U2U or email though.

Rik

warrioryohannan said:
If only you could watch what you have to say!

And yeah MB might have been a bit cranky lately, but he's still a long way to catch you:lol:
I said watch out. If you don't stop slagging off board members soon I will start reporting your posts and you could end up being banned. Also it seems that only you and your buddies seem to have a problem with me, and you and your buddies seem to have a problem with most people on this board. Start talking about the topic, and if you reply with a post about me again then I will report it and then it's up the the mods what to do. I will be discussing this matter with James as soon as I get home.

Last edited:

Rik

masterblaster said:
What are you both trying to say? You dont like me? Well Thats your problem, about 450+ members happen to respect my views.
That was also aimed at me. Just ignore it mate. I will be discussing this with James later.

Rik

warrioryohannan said:
So what you're saying is, either way it was the pitches' fault?

What i am saying is that the pitches were at fault for the dismal performance of the batsmen from both the teams something which the NZ borad is also of the view and have launched an inquiry on it BUT i am not trying to suggest that India were robbed of a series, even if the pitches were better, the better team in NZ would still have won the series!

[/QUOTE] So we have been more consistent? You won the world cup 20 years ago eh? Wow congratulations. I hope you enjoyed the celebrations. 20 years.... wow that's a long time.
[/QUOTE]

You were consistent alright but consistent in what exactly?? In losing all the three finals!
Yeah 20 years is a long time mate but it is still better than not having won a single championship ever!

:rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]

I think you will find that winning a World Cup 20 years ago has nothing to do with India's chances of winning this World Cup. That comment was stupid and petty, and you are starting to sound distinctly "Terrace"

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Andre said:
Ok, enough of that. It's a silly argument that will only get ugly.

Back to the topic, please.
Ringua and WarriorYohannan
Andre made himself very clear earlier, and I make this post as a final warning.

We do not want to close any threads or take action against any users, but may be forced to if you continue to make posts along these lines. This is a cricket forum.

And on topic... we don't care about the 1983 World Cup any more. It's like English football fans harking back to 1966, look to the future instead of living off past glories.

Rik

Neil Pickup said:
It's like English football fans harking back to 1966, look to the future instead of living off past glories.

Yeah but most of our press do that for us. None of the players in either team are playing now, the Indian World Cup team or the English World Cup winning football team. The teams have totally different players, so there is no point in bringing it up.

Bazza

Ringua said:
First of all there is a big difference between Onedayers and test matches, learn it fast mate.
My point was that all three of the major players from the subcontinent have been hugely outclassed in South African/Australian type conditions, and as a result can be expected to struggle in the world cup.

Don't worry this is the last time I will try and get this across. We will wait and see what happens, but I am safe in the knowledge that if India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka all have a poor world cup campaign, I saw it coming a light year away.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
masterblaster said:
That Masterblaster, what an idiot he is...

Oh, er, I'll just get my coat... :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

I would like to go on record as saying that Canada is a pretty good team and are underated! That said, they will be whipped beyond recovery! :D

Ringua

Bazzaroodoo said:
My point was that all three of the major players from the subcontinent have been hugely outclassed in South African/Australian type conditions, and as a result can be expected to struggle in the world cup.

And my point is that if you have a closer look (in Pak's case), then you will find out that Pak actually have a relatively BETTER record (recen 2-4 yrs) against SA/Aus playing away from home on bouncy pitches than at home:O :O .Infact on Sub continental pitches Pak have even lost test matches to teams like Zimbabwe and SL ( so can we here conclude from the stats that Pak suxs on flat pitches??)

This shows that Pakistan's losses to Aus and SA was more to do with the quality of opposition they were facing at the time and their own temperamental nature rather than the pitches on which they were playing!

Choora

Comming back 2 the original (lost ) topic.

I've noticed some people (MB, Wazza) saying that SA would be the winner in the final contested between Aus and SA.Do you guys actually think that SA can beat Aus in such a high pressure match??

Winner: South Africa

Final: South Africa vs New Zealand

Leading Run Scorer: Vaughan

Leading Wicket Taker: Caddick/Anderson

Highest individual Score: Jaques Kallis

Player of the Tournament: Jaques Kallis

Biggest Surprise(Player): Harmison

Biggest Flop(Player): Sachin Tendulkar/Lara/McGrath/Warne

Biggest Surprise(Team): England

Biggest Flop(Team): Sri Lanka

Last edited:

V Reddy

WCCC_SOMERSET said:
i never said every indian has stated that india will win. i said they have predicted them to win OR EITHER make it to the final. it now seems as though they're also twisting our words to add further strength to their heavily flawed argument. btw sorry to vishnu. i was thinking of vanderatnam. also to aussie_beater i don't know how y i added u to that, very sorry m8.
No Probs mate

Gotchya

Ugh, I think you'll find he said they "can't" win, not "haven't ever won". You're talking about a 10 year-old Pakistani team and an almost 20-year-old Indian team. If you were talking about RECENT results (such as the last time both sides were here), you'd see that neither of them won anything other than matches against each other, which is more relevent to whether they can win the WC in a month's time. Why? Because the teams going to world Cup more closely resemble those of three years ago than those 10 or 20 years ago, don't ya think?

When a reference is made to past wins, let me say here that the quality of players is not under scrutiny. When I say that those teams won I mean to say that the conditions were similar then as they are now, the Disparity was there as it is now. Infact if you talk about Pakistan, they currently have a powerful bowling attack, better then previous touring parties.

Bazza

I dunno Wasim and Waqar are not nearly the bowlers they once were. For me there are so many problems with the Pakistan side currently that I just can't see them doing anything.

aussie_beater

Gotchya said:
Infact if you talk about Pakistan, they currently have a powerful bowling attack, better then previous touring parties.
Hmmmm..... tough call there given the fact that Waqar did not play in the 1992 WC.If he had done, the scales would have tilted so much in favour of the 1992 team that it would have broken down :D

The 1992 bowling attack had Wasim at his peak which was enough to scare the hell out of any batting lineup and there is nobody in the current lineup to match up with that, plus there was Imran who was still quite a force and IMO better then Akram of today. Aqib Javed was pretty consistent at that time and quite lethal at times but I would say Akhtar has the edge here because of his "scare-factor" although IMO, Aqib was more consistent in 1992. Yes they did not have a Razzaq's equivalent in 1992 which kind of balances out whatever advantage the 1992 team had with an in-form Akram. And Mushtaq and Saqi balance out.

So in the end I would say its about the same.