• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v West Indies (3rd April)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

honestbharani

I haven't bothered watching the last one. The 2nd and 3rd are pretty much middle stump yorkers, Brathwaite just got so deep in his crease and was able to get underneath them.

Hate to do this to you now but your posting begs for it at times..

A yorker is a yorker based on where the batsman stands. He was not going deep in his crease after the ball was bowled, he stayed in his stance and smashed it, which means your boy was unable to hit the length he wanted. It is a stupid defense. He bottled under the pressure and that can happen to anyone, all the best players have had moments they have lost it under pressure.

Full credit to Brathwaite for the monstrous hits and basically putting the fear into Stokes' mind and making him miss his length for those 3 deliveries though... Great game from both sides and wonderful entertainment for the fans who did show up inspite of their team not being there. Windies deserve the win, the English boys under Morgan are far more likeable these days and given it is a younger team compared to others, I am sure they will be in the forefront of world tournaments in the future too.

I said it at the start of this tournament in one of the threads here, think was responding to 91JMay that no one can hate Sammy winning the trophy again and I am absolutely thrilled it was him, if it was not to be MSD. Guy and his team deserve all the credit in the world, simply for having to work for the idiots at WICB.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Well played WI, most skilled T20 players in the world by a distance in the tournament.

Tough luck England, gave us an incredible amount of entertainment this WC.

Find it hard to be overly critical of Stokes. **** happens.

Fantastic tournament. A real showcase of the format.

SkyBlue

During the 7th or 8th over(i think) when Stokes was having a go at Samuels,i actually envisioned him playing a blinder and taking his shirt off if his team won.I kept feeling it as the overs were progressing.But he has to be massively grateful to Brathwaite though.I dint think he would've won the game for the Windies had he been on strike.He keeps moving to the leg side so Stokes would've just bowled the wide yorker and got away.
Bit of attention seeking from Samuels in the end imo with those eccentric celebrations even though he played a great knock.Great banter at the presentation ceremony though.

Howe_zat

Lol at the England guys here trying to claim that it was not a choke. That was an epic choke from Ben Chokes and at the biggest possible occasion too. Hell, if a South African did what Stokes did today the crowing from the same crowd claiming "not a choke" would be utterly deafening and would last the rest of our lifetime
It's just a **** way of describing anything happening in a cricket match. People being shits when similar happens to south africa does not mean you should be a **** when it happens to someone else. You're doing it because you like to post ****, so it all fits of course

zorax

likes this
Watching a TedX talk about Passion, and there was this nice quote:

"The most fulfilling relationships, the most fulfilling careers are those that still have th power to surprise you"

Games like this are why, despite all the bullshit and politics, I still love cricket. :)

SkyBlue

ICC Media‏@ICCMediaComms
Marlon Samuels fined 30% of his match fee for using abusive and offensive language directed at Ben Stokes #WT20

Looks like the camera missed this.If this was after they won the game,i dint see it.

kyear2

Great ending to a great tournament.

Kudos to the W.I. men and women. I would have given the man of the match to Brathwaite for contributions with the ball and the bat and for that final over.

Never seen hitting like that in that situation.

Kholi deserved player of the tournament, was absolutely ridiculous. Amazing talent.

The fielding today by the W.I. today was absolute top notch and played no small role in the victory.

But that final over. The first ball was horrible, but give Brathwaite credit for the others. Fantastic hitting.

Both teams made the Caribbean proud today.

Burner

Both in the semi-final and the final, WI got into a position where it would have been easy for them to succumb to defeat. Both times, they clawed their way back into the game and won. Champions indeed.

Newboy

New to cricket in that I don't really follow it much but that final was very interesting. Can see myself getting into it although I don't mind playing it tbf.

I wanted to ask who you guys think would have won if it were New Zealand in place of England? Seeing as I'm told NZ play a new type of fearless cricket.

Stefan9

Stokes bowled 4 length balls in the final over of a t20 game. anyone trying to claim that is not a choke is just trying to be nice to stokes or is an english fan...

Good to see we aren't the only ones chocking this tournament. We can be joined on the podium by mister stokes ( or is it chokes now ;P) and bangladesh.

So because people on a forum would've talked about choking that means it was a choke?

Tbh I hate when people go on about choking/bottling all the time. Neglects that random/luck element of sport and the fact that there's an opponent on the other side allowed to play exceptionally.

Edit: Not that choking/bottling isn't a thing. But I think proper choking means performing significantly below your usual standards, specifically because of the high pressure nature of the moment and it effecting you. Can you confidently conclude that's what happened as opposed to Braithwaite not just hitting incredibly?
Yes , go and compare the deliveries he bowled to braithwaite in this game compared to the length he hit vs sri lanka in that final over. The one over was yorkers or very low full tosses at worse while this was length that braithwaite could get under and smack.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

Taylor was fun to watch. Hair visible versus slower bowlers added so much. And her style was a lot of fun. Smashing the various bowlers. So many things I enjoyed about this game. Elysse Perrey was terrific to see when batting and bowling for her intensity.

Gnske

Watching a TedX talk about Passion, and there was this nice quote:

"The most fulfilling relationships, the most fulfilling careers are those that still have th power to surprise you"

Games like this are why, despite all the bullshit and politics, I still love cricket. :)
>Being inspired by TedX

Memey

This win by WI should be highly offensive, but I'm so glad of all the hacks and self-obsessed frauds in the WI side that it was Brathwaite who brought them home.