• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

17th Match - Australia v Pakistan

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

stephen

Even when he was bowling low 130s you couldn't prop forward to him because of the bounce he got, so it's really a separate point from the one GAS was making.
I watched highlights of him as a 37 year old trolling the batsmen in the 07 WC last night. Not content to be the best fast bowler on the planet he decided that he'd be more difficult at 125kph than the guys who were bowling 20 kms faster than him. Just a brilliant man with the ball in hand.

GoodAreasShane

No doubting the bloke was absolutely phenomenal, definitely the best Test fast bowler of my lifetime so far.

It just annoys me when people say McGrath was always not that fast. He was brisk for a lot of his career, but when that started to decline he more than compensated for it through skill and experience.

Arachnodouche

No doubting the bloke was absolutely phenomenal, definitely the best Test fast bowler of my lifetime so far.

It just annoys me when people say McGrath was always not that fast. He was brisk for a lot of his career, but when that started to decline he more than compensated for it through skill and experience.
Yes he only ever slowed down once he grew his hair out. He was always sharp with the bowl cut.

I watched all of McGrath's career and he was undisputedly the greatest I ever saw, but does anyone else feel he's the sort of bowler who grew in stature, even in your own mind despite knowing he was great all along, only in retrospect? Obviously has to do with the lack of magic balls and his overall MO, but I sometimes feel I didn't really savor the intricacies of his art while he was at it. I took for granted that he would regularly grab a bagful but didn't always dissect the way he went about it.

Last edited:

Burgey

Yes he only ever slowed down once he grew his hair out. He was always sharp with the bowl cut.

I watched all of McGrath's career and he was undisputedly the greatest I ever saw, but does anyone else feel he's the sort of bowler who grew in stature, even in your own mind despite knowing he was great all along, only in retrospect? Obviously has to do with the lack of magic balls and his overall MO, but I sometimes feel I didn't really savor the intricacies of his art while he was at it. I took for granted that he would regularly grab a bagful but didn't always dissect the way he went about it.
He was a subtle genius.