• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

37th Match - New Zealand v Australia

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

straw man

TBH, NZ fans tend to be a pessimistic bunch. Hence the ever popular "Doom and Gloom" thread.

While I agree Aus are favourites, I don't think the gap is as wide as other Kiwis think. The egregious state of our openers is the only issue I'm very concerned about.
Yes, we have weaknesses but so do Australia. As usual, we want a pitch with a little in it to help our bowlers take wickets. Means our batting is more reliant on it's classier elements too, but that was already the case.

NZ's prize for winning this match would likely be... a semi-final also against Australia.

Bahnz

The weather probably won't help our cause. Forecast to be 33 degrees Celsius on Saturday.

Moss

Not liking NZ's chances in this game tbh. There's really not that much of a gap between the two teams, and since 2015 bilaterals have tended to go the way of the host nation. But Australia seem to be getting better with every game (and closer to nailing their best XI), while it's quite the opposite for the kiwis. Also with games against Australia, mindset seems to be an important thing with NZ, need to go into this genuinely believing they can beat Australia without doing anything too radical (give or take the odd lineup change).

aussie tragic

After bringing Agar into the nets to simulate batting against Shakib, Aus have now brought in Nick Winter who apparently bowls like Boult.

I love this approach...

Burgey

Looking forward to them bringing in the bowler from the Test Match board game to simulate Jasprit Bumrah.

TheJediBrah

I think they overdid it. Nick Winter probably swings the ball a bit more than Boult, and is more accurate, and quicker, and more versatile. More accurate practice if they drafted in a Sydney 2nd grade change bowler.

Burgey

I think they overdid it. Nick Winter probably swings the ball a bit more than Boult, and is more accurate, and quicker, and more versatile. More accurate practice if they drafted in a Sydney 2nd grade change bowler.
Already got Dorff m8

GoodAreasShane

Uugh... In all seriousness though Winter is a quality bowler, can bend it sharply at a decent fast-medium pace. Been tearing shite up in Essex club cricket recently, hence the net bowling call up

Flem274*

123/5
rumour has it nz rounded up some 5 year olds with social problems to simulate bowling to the australian batsmen.

Greenlite

Just wondering what you guys think

1) would Manchester or Egbaston suit NZ better in the possible semis? 1/4th placed teams play in Manchester

2) Shami is on fire for India and he didn’t play any games till last weekend, could the kiwi players do the same? Or is it too late to change with 2 games to go?

3) would holding some of the players back eg Sodhi and play him as a surprise in the knock out be a possibility? I don’t think we are gonna win the thing without some smart tactics and surprises...

4j can Blundell be the 12th man and keep the whole innings especially if we Bat first?

Very annoyed that the bench players are not getting a run, purely from an injury back up plan point of view, Blundell has the hot hands and is a great keeper, now he is probably rusty, Sodhi might be good to replace Henry but he has being really solid even after unfairly chucked in to “remember the name” Even getting them to field would be good..

Cheers!

Greenlite

I laughed when I found out Ronchi is there as the fielding coach btw

At least he is not their shrink

Moss

Just wondering what you guys think

1) would Manchester or Egbaston suit NZ better in the possible semis? 1/4th placed teams play in Manchester
It seems like the surfaces at Old Trafford have generally been better for batting than at Edgbaston, and for NZ have a better chance against the top sides if it's not a complete road. On that basis probably Edgbaston, but that's no incentive not to finish top of the table.

2) Shami is on fire for India and he didn’t play any games till last weekend, could the kiwi players do the same? Or is it too late to change with 2 games to go?
Not too late IMO though an Australia clash is a pretty unforgiving scenario to come in all of sudden. While Shami > Southee in general, I've said before that Lord's is the one place Southee might actually prove to be a matchwinner. I would use this game to make changes (incumbents are not performing anyway, though Henry has actually been alright) and go back to earlier selections in the final game if you feel the change isn't working.

3) would holding some of the players back eg Sodhi and play him as a surprise in the knock out be a possibility? I don’t think we are gonna win the thing without some smart tactics and surprises...
Would only play Sodhi if the conditions suit, like they should have done vs Pakistan. But, in general yeah some flexibility in selections and thinking during the game would be welcome

4j can Blundell be the 12th man and keep the whole innings especially if we Bat first?
Think Latham's keeping has been okay mostly (the dropped chance off Babar was a tough one), it's his form which is the problem

Very annoyed that the bench players are not getting a run, purely from an injury back up plan point of view, Blundell has the hot hands and is a great keeper, now he is probably rusty, Sodhi might be good to replace Henry but he has being really solid even after unfairly chucked in to “remember the name” Even getting them to field would be good..

Cheers!

Daemon

The players who've come in as replacements haven't done too badly have they? Dorf, Shami, Sohail and Afridi have all done well.

veganbob

Have the boys been practising against the sandpaper ball? We need to. As soon as smith and warner are back starc starts swininging it like a maniac? Thats no co incidence!

Hah. Time for taylor to step up. He hasnt shown his pre wc form - don't want him missing out on another wc. Step up boy.

Greenlite

Thanks. I was thinking if they play at Edgebaston they could use Sodhi as a possible ace up their sleeve.

And like Daemon said, some of the placements have been doing well, Pretorious just took 3-25 vs Sri Lanka

Hope Steady is just playing dumb till the knock out stage, he did go with two all arounders when the kiwi commentators were asking one to be dropped, and now both are star batters with Kane,