• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Quarter Final - Australia v Pakistan (20th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

veganbob

No, Australia were still favorites. They have one the deepest batting line ups, all with game changing abilities. Not to mention the target was super low. A collapse can happen with any team, some more so than others.

In these conditions, only SA are probably at the same level potential wise. Even Johnson and Starc can bat a bit.

Disagree. Had watson gone at 85/4 i would have backed pakistan to win it. Yeah its the deepest lineup easily but apart from clarke and ssmith rest are just big hitters and while its still a good batting line up its weak by aussie standards. I can see them crumbling on a chase. Probably the best lineup to have if you are 160/3 with 20 to go setting a target. But in a low scoring pressure chase vs good bowling atm india, nz and sa all have more composed middle order batsmen.

So imo i couldnt see maxwell faulkner etc dig aus out of a hole yesterday.

BigBrother

Disagree. Had watson gone at 85/4 i would have backed pakistan to win it. Yeah its the deepest lineup easily but apart from clarke and ssmith rest are just big hitters and while its still a good batting line up its weak by aussie standards. I can see them crumbling on a chase. Probably the best lineup to have if you are 160/3 with 20 to go setting a target. But in a low scoring pressure chase vs good bowling atm india, nz and sa all have more composed middle order batsmen.

So imo i couldnt see maxwell faulkner etc dig aus out of a hole yesterday.
It's been weak compared to Australian standards since 2007. I think this is the best line up they have had since those days, especially as far as form goes. They are all capable of hanging in there and playing big innings and I think they have shown that enough times to warrant respect. Not everybody chokes the way SA have a tendency to.

Also, the target was extremely low no scoreboard pressure and the rest of the bowling was pretty ordinary. It looked like they were throwing pies to Watson, Smith, Maxwell after that spell. Apart from that Maxwell shot, even Wahab himself got more or less worked over on his return spell. At the the end of the day they beat him under 34 overs. That's a thrashing.

SA's choking needs no mention, NZ showed it against both Australia and worse Bangladesh, and India in the tri-series. So no, I don't think you can say they are more composed by any means with a guarantee.

Last edited:

Jimbo the giant

That drop was truely dire. The average international fielder should catch that 100x out of 100.

Pakistan are a team that play on emotion, imo a drop so simple would effect them far greater than most other teams.

I thought the game was over straight after the drop but had it been taken Pakistan would have been heavy favourites. Not a guaranteed win but Wahab would have got even more inspiration.

Aussie are still cup favs but nowhere near unbeatable as NZ proved in the group stage. I don't reckon they are more than 2/3 favs against India, SA or NZ.

Burgey

That was such a compelling game to watch. That spell from Wahab was just so ****ing good. Hope he kicks on and becomes a gun for Pakistan in all forms.

And credit to Watson who gutsed it out so hard. Probably his most important odi innings for australia.

TC123

Pakistan haven't been flash all tournament and had Aussie on the ropes had the catches been taken. You're not as good as you think you are Australia

TNT

Banned
Pakistan haven't been flash all tournament and had Aussie on the ropes had the catches been taken. You're not as good as you think you are Australia
What match were you watching, Pakistan never had Australia on the ropes. Wahab bowled some good balls and a good spell but Australia were never on the ropes, that's never in like never ever ever.

Jimbo the giant

What match were you watching, Pakistan never had Australia on the ropes. Wahab bowled some good balls and a good spell but Australia were never on the ropes, that's never in like never ever ever.
Do you even know what on the ropes means? Its pretty much just a pressure situation. Not down and out or anything.

Maxwell would have been under huge pressure, unlike when he came in 60 runs later

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
At the end of the day Pakistan are a joke of a batting and fielding side. You don't make semi finals when you can't do two of the three key aspects of the ****ing game. **** em.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And **** maqsood for refusing to field at bat pad and making 41 year old Misbah, as captain, to do it. Pakistan don't deserve a man like Misbah. Maqsood should be dropped for that.

Debris

Do you even know what on the ropes means? Its pretty much just a pressure situation. Not down and out or anything.

Maxwell would have been under huge pressure, unlike when he came in 60 runs later
on the ropes (def.) - On the verge of defeat or collapse, helpless

- in a desperate or hopeless position; close to defeat or failure

I don't think that phrase means what you think it means.

TNT

Banned
Tried to work out where this come from, are you a small man by any chance TC123, I mean like 5'1 or 5'2.

BigBrother

And **** maqsood for refusing to field at bat pad and making 41 year old Misbah, as captain, to do it. Pakistan don't deserve a man like Misbah. Maqsood should be dropped for that.
Yeah that was pathetic, credit to the good man for doing that, that showed great character.

social

Yeah, congrats to Watson for blindly fending at balls and trying pull shots with men back. Top stuff that.
Definitely more good luck (and a truck load of it) than good management

Thought that Ganguly's summary was spot on i.e. poor batting not to try something different (e.g. duck, sway, hook, even let it hit you) when it was only luck that allowed him to survive previously

Tangles

Looked for highlights on CA site and they don't work. Fail. Found some on espn though. That bouncer that almost hit Watto and was followed by a spray was great. Wtf was Maxwell doing with the back away tennis smash ****?

Daemon

What's the deal with Afridi? He hasn't been bowling much different in this tournament than he normally does has he. Is it the pitches?