• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2017/18

morgieb

Just realised I wasn't even in high school yet when Paine scored his last FC ton.

Or for that matter, even joined CW.

Second Spitter

Paine seems like a typical MEW-on-a-whim-selection.

CONFIRMED: Smarsh has nude photos of Cracka.
(I agree Dan Hughes would have been a more intriguing choice.)

Have to feel for Renshaw, especially after MEW -- two days ago -- said he wouldn't be dropped.

Spikey

Selectors see Paine as the best keeper in the country. You can argue about it, but I think that's basically the theory they've gone with - no difference between any of them batting wise (in their eyes), pick the best gloveman.
This is certainly the line they're gonna push, they've started already, but I dunno man, I dunno.

Top_Cat

Hate the Renshaw thing - his Test average is currently higher than Marsh's. A few poor games at the start of the season, and you drop him - it's exactly what we used to talk about with Lyon when he got a bit of tap in the Shield. Thought the point that a few people made about Langer putting the heat on Renshaw, when he used to talk about how much he hated that as a player, was a nice touch for the "brown nosed gnome".
It's not even his record, bloke has just looked like he belonged in the Test side. Selectors must have been really spooked by these Shield games because Renshaw, on the face of it, was the perfect guy to nullify a threat like Broad.

OverratedSanity

So many things to love about this. Pick a 'keeper' who barely even keeps anymore and hasn't scored a hundred in a decade. Ed Cowan binned by nsw for being 35 (ie) too old. Shaun Marsh, age 34, gets recalled.

All we need now is Nathan Lyon being dropped for Michael Beer.

Starfighter

Marsh's presence gives me a strong incentive to support England.

Although anything I support usually receives the kiss of death anyway.

S.Kennedy

I'd have given Renshaw the first test and had Bancroft in reserve. He deserves the two innings. The kid must feel bad; he was interviewed recently and was of course discussing the ashes under the impression he was in the side.

SeamUp

Ashes 2017: Peter Nevill snubbed from shock Australian line-up for first Test

Trent Woodhill tweeted it a few minutes prior, although he also had Maxwell at 6.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't think they'd go back to Nevill so it's not like I'm gutted or anything. I had a bad feeling ever since he got named in the t20 team. That wasn't just a random call. Paine is beloved for some reason. I choose to pivot towards blaming Chappell. I would have strongly considered going with Bancroft at 6 and keeping, if both Wade/Nevill were ruled illegible.
Remember you feeling nervous about that Paine CA XI selection ?

I was thinking why the hell were you. He nearly retired and joined Kookaburra a couple of months back. :laugh:

SeamUp

Hate the Renshaw thing - his Test average is currently higher than Marsh's. A few poor games at the start of the season, and you drop him - it's exactly what we used to talk about with Lyon when he got a bit of tap in the Shield. Thought the point that a few people made about Langer putting the heat on Renshaw, when he used to talk about how much he hated that as a player, was a nice touch for the "brown nosed gnome".

Selectors see Paine as the best keeper in the country. You can argue about it, but I think that's basically the theory they've gone with - no difference between any of them batting wise (in their eyes), pick the best gloveman.

Marsh has been decent the past few times he has played, it's just that his body has let him down.

The more that you end up with selections like this, the more that I think that the selection panel is on it's way out. What's Howard's contract situation at the moment, too?
Got to agree. What sort of selection policy is picking a test team on a random 3 game Shield stretch all the time ?

Renshaw had performed very well for a 20 year-old at test level. All of a sudden his test performances mean nothing. I'm sorry but this is crisis management.

The ideal scenario would have been play Renshaw and the keeper. Have Bancroft in the squad to keep those 2 on their toes. Release him to play the WA game.

Gob

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****

Tangles

We are told they want a keeper who scores runs and they pick the guy not keeping. When he does keep he gets injured. Seriously. Hartley should declare his availability for Brisbane immediately. No further proof should be required that Nev is not wanted by Smith and Boof.

Where are these extra overs coming from with Darsh, ****, at 6. Smith gonna bowl?

Feel for Renshaw who's had a good test start for a young guy not to get 1 test to turn his form around.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The weird mentality I bet the selectors have regarding Renshaw will be the group of great batsman who got dropped and came back stronger.

Btw if Marsh actually does play im thinking JL taking over as coach is going to happen very soon (expect Jyhe Richardson to have a Test Cap within 12 months).

Starfighter

Btw if Marsh actually does play im thinking JL taking over as coach is going to happen very soon (expect Jyhe Richardson to have a Test Cap within 12 months).
I remember Langer's stint as batting coach. Perhaps we'll go back to losing both away and at home.