• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Tech Support and Advice Thread

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Thought this might be a good shout for those times you need general support of advice with anything tech related.

I'll get things started: I need to convert any non-mp3 file in my music library to mp3. Is there any program that can do a smart scan through a music folder (where it's all mixed together), add the non-mp3 music files easily enough? Everything I find you have to add the files manually or add and convert the whole folder, mp3s and all.

NZTailender

I just realised I can search for .wav extensions, for example, but haven't figured out narrowing it down so I don't get random files in there - and also make it easy to shift files back into the original folder

honestbharani

You should be able to sort it by file type on your computer yourself. Juz pull all mp3 aside to a different folder, then you have all your non-mp3 in one folder. Then run whatever conversion software you have through every file of the non-mp3 folder.

EDIT: just saw ur other posts. You can still search your music library for all mp3 files and then move them to a seperate folder and then you can run the software through your music library which should now only consist of non-mp3 files.

Last edited:

Daemon

In the main folder search for " * " and then group the results by file type. Copy it all over to a new folder or select all and drag and drop them into whatever software you're using.

Not sure how you're going to put them back in the original folder though.

StephenZA

Does not the media player/converters allow you to search for the files (extensions) under the 'add multiple' button. You should not need to move the files just search in the media/player program.

NZTailender

Does not the media player/converters allow you to search for the files (extensions) under the 'add multiple' button. You should not need to move the files just search in the media/player program.
iTunes or music, whatever it is now, is fairly useless

I'm on Mac so not sure what else to use. Most programs I've found just give you "add folder" option or "add files" option which might give the add by file type, but doesn't let you simply select a whole folder and let the program work it out - you have to go into each folder manually.

NZTailender

Alternatively, what's a good Android music program I can organise with my Mac? Previously I had used an iPod and iTunes and it was fairly simple - plug in, drag files over - or sync. For whatever reason HiSuite won't work for me so apart from dragging and dropping files into folders from folders, are there any alternatives?

Burgey

Don't you just call someone and they come and fix these things for you without you having to worry about them

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Alternatively, what's a good Android music program I can organise with my Mac? Previously I had used an iPod and iTunes and it was fairly simple - plug in, drag files over - or sync. For whatever reason HiSuite won't work for me so apart from dragging and dropping files into folders from folders, are there any alternatives?
For the low price of $12 a month you don't have to worry about it ever again (unless you're driving through the bush).

Chewie

If you were on PC, something like foobar would work cos you can just add all your music to it and do a batch convert iirc

NZTailender

For the low price of $12 a month you don't have to worry about it ever again (unless you're driving through the bush).
yeah I know but I'm also trying to make use of my 10000+ track music library, with a surprising amount of that that can't be found on Spotify.

NZTailender

If you were on PC, something like foobar would work cos you can just add all your music to it and do a batch convert iirc
Foobar has a Mac version which had a fit when I added my music library. Read half the library as gibberish and then froze when I tried to do anything.

So far I've separated out all the .wav's manually keeping the folder structure and converted with a different program. Wish it was easier though.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
there is probably some way to Unix pipe all the files to the converter program, but heaven knows how that works on a Mac

StephenZA

iTunes or music, whatever it is now, is fairly useless

I'm on Mac so not sure what else to use. Most programs I've found just give you "add folder" option or "add files" option which might give the add by file type, but doesn't let you simply select a whole folder and let the program work it out - you have to go into each folder manually.
Could do it through vlc I think...

...but mac sucks.

Chewie

Foobar has a Mac version which had a fit when I added my music library. Read half the library as gibberish and then froze when I tried to do anything.

So far I've separated out all the .wav's manually keeping the folder structure and converted with a different program. Wish it was easier though.
yea the mac version doesn't have the same features as the pc version

There's probably some other music library software for mac that could do the same