• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does it suck to be a minority worldwide?

indiaholic

Nope. But then we are middle class city dwellers who.are far less dependent on communties for social insurance.. Have been discriminated against for not being vegetarian though..

Shri

Nope. But then we are middle class city dwellers who.are far less dependent on communties for social insurance.. Have been discriminated against for not being vegetarian though..
Being a meat eating brahmin sucks. Your own people look down the nose at you and the others discriminate against you anyway except for a few. **** em all.

zorax

likes this
There are pros and cons. I've been on both sides of this, and one of the things I prefer being a minority are that you aren't expected to maintain a strong social presence or adhere to cultural norms - people tend to write off your 'strange' behaviours as an effect of you not being from there. This is far less acceptable when you're part of the majority ethnic/cultural group in a community.

You also tend to stick out a lot more, which is either a good or bad thing depending on situation and how you spin it.

Obvious drawbacks of being a minority are things like facing discrimination, finding it harder to climb up corporate or social ladders, and losing touch with your 'roots', although again the extent to which all these actually effect you varies person to person, region to region

vcs

In general, yes.. and recent political developments have made things a bit worse.. but hey, we've come a long way in the last half century or so, and there was always going to be some push-back to that.

OverratedSanity

Being a meat eating brahmin sucks. Your own people look down the nose at you and the others discriminate against you anyway except for a few. **** em all.
I wouldn't be so hard on them. The poor buggers don't have chicken biryani in their lives.

StephenZA

What do you mean by minority? Minority within your own country? The western world? Colour, class, creed? Some minorities keep control of populations, others are oppressed...

Sorry to nebulous a question for me.

duffer

Australia was good to me while I lived there, and apart from the odd incident the life I had was very similar to the life most of my white friends had. So no, it didn't suck to be a minority.

Daemon

zorax summed it up nicely. Growing up as a Indian Muslim as the son of immigrant parents in a Chinese dominated society has been a breeze for me because I'm really cool and adapt very well, but even then it does suck sometimes. Being a minority (muslim) within a minority (indian immigrants) makes it worse.

Black_Warrior

Haha what a coincidence.

I have been applying for some courses and filling out forms for course/fee enquiry with my full name and there is no option to tick domestic/international student and almost all of the responses are

"For International Students, the fees are"

Then there's the fact that you have to say your name at least 5-6 times when introducing yourself and then just spell it out. I am so used to it now that I don't even bother with saying it now..whenever I am asked I just start with the spelling straight away :laugh:

I am also always addressed by the wrong name/incorrect spelling in emails despite the email chain having my signature and name written.

I usually don't react and am pretty cool about it but I guess it does bother me subconsciously? and every now and then I surprise myself with a blunt response which makes go "WTF did I just say" but it's comes out of my mouth before I can control it :cool:

New person in my team, "hey I just want to write down your name so I don't get it wrong"
Me out of nowhere: "Don't worry, most people in this company get my name wrong, it's cool" and everyone just turned at me and I'm "oh ****..i shouldn't have said that out loud"

Last edited:

hendrix

New person in my team, "hey I just want to write down your name so I don't get it wrong"
Me out of nowhere: "Don't worry, most people in this company get my name wrong, it's cool" and everyone just turned at me and I'm "oh ****..i shouldn't have said that out loud"
I have an indigenous name and no local person pronounces it correctly unless they themselves are indigenous. Actually foreigners get it right more often than locals.

indiaholic

Does that bother you? I have an odd name too + no surname. It helps get conversations started.. I have found it useful on the whole..

When i was five i fought with mom and dad about changing my name to something simple like sachin or akash though..

zorax

likes this
I have a running gag on my Snapchat taking pictures of all the work emails addressed to me that misspell my name, and it isn't even a hard name

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I gave up trying to get people to pronounce/spell my name correctly the first time years ago tbh. It shouldn't even be hard, but alas

Ausage

I gave up trying to get people to pronounce/spell my name correctly the first time years ago tbh. It shouldn't even be hard, but alas
I feel your pain :(

I really dont have a difficult name, people just suck.

Spark

Global Moderator
I feel your pain :(

I really dont have a difficult name, people just suck.
Yeah like sometimes you'll hear people mangle your name and you actually can't help but be somehow impressed that they managed to **** it up like that.