• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eminem Appreciation Thread

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't regard rap as music, it is more to do with a particular culture and even "culture" seems an inappropriate term to apply to something so mindlessly simplistic
A look at the history of rap confirms my belief that it is more based on a particular culture than on an actual musical discipline. "The earliest precursor to modern rap is the West African griot tradition, in which "oral historians", or "praise-singers", would disseminate oral traditions and genealogies, or use their rhetorical techniques for gossip or to "praise or critique individuals." Griot traditions connect to rap along a lineage of black verbal reverence"
Yeah, sorry, but there's no way that doesn't read as "I don't like rap music because....black people".

zorax

likes this
A good documentary on the history of Rap and Hip Hop in general is 'Evolution of Hip Hop' on Netflix. Definitely worth watching.

Line and Length

please keep this trash out of the Eminem Appreciation Thread thanks.
The "trash" you refer to has sold far more albums than your precious Eminem and Deborah Harry is far more easy on the eye. I apologise for the history lesson and my attempt to lift the musical standard of this thread but you offered to teach me something about rap when I already knew all I needed to know.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The "trash" you refer to has sold far more albums than your precious Eminem and Deborah Harry is far more easy on the eye. I apologise for the history lesson and my attempt to lift the musical standard of this thread but you offered to teach me something about rap when I already knew all I needed to know.
Citation needed.

zorax

likes this
A quick google search shows that Eminem has sold 100 million records, while Blondie has sold 40 million, which is less than half.

Lol.

Teja.

Global Moderator
That's like saying not liking a particular country's cultural cuisine is "thinly veiled racism".
No. Just No. There's nothing wrong with not liking rap or considering it trash or w/e. However, if you don't like it due to it's culture, which in your words is 'mindlessly simplistic' then it's quite obviously different from not liking it due to your personal musical tastes or whatever.

It's fine to not like Chinese food, but if you say you don't like Chinese food because of its 'mindlessly barbaric culture' or some stupid **** like that, it's quite obviously racist.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
No. Just No. There's nothing wrong with no liking rap or considering it trash or w/e. However, if you don't like it due to it's culture, which in your words is 'mindlessly simplistic' then it's quite obviously different from not liking it due to your personal musical tastes or whatever.

It's fine to not like Chinese food, but if you say you don't like Chinese food because of its 'mindlessly barbaric culture' or some stupid **** like that, it's quite obviously racist.
Precisely.

I don't like rap because of it's culture. In fact to call it "culture" is an overstatement, due to it's mindless simplicity. Btw the "culture" I am referring to is African culture.

Right....

Line and Length

Citation needed.
I fell into the trap of only reading part of a passage. Here is the full quote (courtesy of Wikipedia) that I originally consulted.

"Eminem is the best-selling hip hop artist of all-time and the best-selling artist of the 2000s with US album sales at over 32.2 million during the decade. His worldwide albums and singles sales stand at 100 million."

I stopped reading at the "32.2 million" and then compared it with Blondie' reported sales - "The band has sold an estimated 40 million albums." Of course, Deborah Harry's solo sales would increase that number but my original statement is, in the light of the quote provided, inaccurate.

Line and Length

No. Just No. There's nothing wrong with no liking rap or considering it trash or w/e. However, if you don't like it due to it's culture, which in your words is 'mindlessly simplistic' then it's quite obviously different from not liking it due to your personal musical tastes or whatever.

You are grossly misinterpreting my posts. The following simple statements should clarify what I am saying.

1. The earliest precursor to modern rap is the West African griot tradition.

2. That tradition is cultural.

3. I perceive rap is being more culturally based than musically based.

4. I don't like/enjoy rap "music".

Now if you find anything in those four statements racist then that is your interpretation,

The 'mindlessly simplistic' quote you use from my earlier post is a red herring. I find certain modern rap 'music' to be 'mindlessly simplistic'. I certainly wasn't applying that description to the precusor to modern rap - especially as I haven't been exposed to it in the first place.

The whole thing smacks of a modern trend in debating. If you disagree with someone look for an opportunity to use the "racist" or "sexist" or whatever tag comes in handy in an an attempt to attack the person rather than their point of view.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The whole thing smacks of a modern trend in debating. If you disagree with someone look for an opportunity to use the "racist" or "sexist" or whatever tag comes in handy in an an attempt to attack the person rather than their point of view.
Oh dear.

zorax

likes this
Modern Rap actually emerges from MCs in the 1970s. Hip Hop culture was born from DJs playing music, and the earliest rappers were just hype men who would introduce the DJs and then rhyme on top of their beats as a way to keep the crowd energy up. This evolved into an artform of it's own, and eventually MCs went from supporting acts to leading the show - the birth of modern-day rap.

Spoken Word Poetry is an entire world in of itself. Some great rappers have dipped their toes in that. Def Poetry Jam is quality.

We should have a Spoken Word thread actually. I've got a youtube playlist of performances I'd like to revisit one day.

Line and Length

Imagine coming to a rap thread, being so colossally wrong and arrogant on top of that lol.
I admitted I made a mistake. How do you interpret that as arrogance? FYI I gathered the incorrect figures on the run and in my haste to post I didn't double check.

If you see that as "coming to a thread" and being "so colossally wrong and arrogant on top of that" then you are, once again, judging me as a person rather than arguing against my opinion.

The 32.2M were just in the US and just in the decade of 2000-2010 lol
So true zorax. And thanks for having the common decency not to have used my error as a weapon to attack me.

I could have simply ignored Sledger's request for a citation and avoided the subsequent attack from Teja. However, I'm old enough to admit when I've made a mistake. If that is perceived as a character flaw it is a flaw I can live with.