• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eminem Appreciation Thread

Teja.

Global Moderator
When I was ten, my grandmother took my cousin and I to the mall and we insisted on buying music cassettes. We were really into downloading eminem songs on limewire by that point but had probably only heard the really really mainstream songs that zorax already posted on the first page. We decided to get a seperate album each so we could have two albums between us. He was older than me so he got preference to get the latest album which was 'Encore'. I ended up getting the Eminem Show and winning massively out of that exchange.

I wore my walkman out listening to that cassette and I'm pretty sure I can still rap most of Superman. Listening to White America was always a great feeling because you knew you had a great one hour coming up. Listening to White America when it's on elsewhere still gives me chills in a good way.

I'm not a big fan of the rest of his albums aside from MM LP and Eminem Show but he's also put out plenty of slapping singles across his career. Overall, the biggest artist of my childhood and a legend. Respec.

Last edited:

zorax

likes this
The content of Em's songs never bothered me because it's all hypothetical. People watch horror films, or movies with gore and over the top violence. Em's songs strike me as the audio version of that, and if you can accept that he's going to spend the next 3 minutes describing in detail how he wants to murder someone and bury their body, you can then pick up the lyrical brilliance of his writing

The melody and beats behind his songs are often not that great. It's why his most listenable songs are the ones where he's a feature artist or collaborating with another rapper/producer.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The Roots are fantastic. In fact to link to the topic at hand by far my favourite song on Eminem's latest album is one featuring Black Thought. His verse is the best on the whole album.
Yeah they really are. I think it might have been you who introduced me to them actually, many many moons ago now.

Dan

Global Moderator
Yeah, a very distinct sound, but it's never really floated my boat. I think The Roots would be my favourite rap group.
Just had a listen. Pretty good.

I don’t know if it’s really classed in the same genre, but I quite like a lot of the Australian stuff floating around. Super accessible, but completely different to the origins of rap.

zorax

likes this

He put out a compilation album a few years back featuring some new and some old stuff, and one of the things that stood out is that of the 'new' songs, the one I enjoyed by far the most was an old version of Lose Yourself which he'd written with completely different lyrics to the final version and then apparently forgotten about. It was far more listenable than the new music, however technically impressive it was.
I need to listen to this. Is it on Spotify?

Have only just started listening to his latest album.

Generally agree w/regards to him sometimes going too far in the direction of showing off his skills rather than making 'good' music. I mean Rap God is the perfect example of this. Incredible song, but not one you'll want to listen to all the time IMO.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I think Eminem is the greatest featuring artist of all time. Some incredible tracks:

Forgot about Dre by Dr. Dre
Renegade by Jay Z
Forever by Drake
and my personal favourite Patiently Waiting by 50 Cent.

zorax

likes this
He destroys that verse on Forever

I really like him on Love The Way You Lie too (both parts)

Teja.

Global Moderator
He destroys that verse on Forever

I really like him on Love The Way You Lie too (both parts)
I like that song too but it's very overplayed and think Part 2 is way better due to Rihanna being dominant in it.

zorax

likes this
I think Part 2 is better as well, but simply because Em's verse in that is the best one across both songs haha

Uppercut

I think Eminem is the greatest featuring artist of all time. Some incredible tracks:

Renegade by Jay Z
Forever by Drake
I mean he's pretty good at performing the Snoop role, but Snoop is better at the Snoop role.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I mean he's pretty good at performing the Snoop role, but Snoop is better at the Snoop role.
This might actually be true. A lot of his stuff with Dr. Dre in the early 90s is immense (Nothing but a G-thang etc.). I'm just not as familiar with his stuff as I am with Eminem who I've been listening to since I was 8 or something.

DriveClub

Prefer Kendrick's stuff to Eminem tbh Won't lie I used to bump eminem when I was in school but prefer Kendrick Lamar's stuff now. Maad City has to be the greatest rap song ever

morgieb

Renegade by Jay Z
Forever by Drake
His verse on Forgot About Dre was comfortably the best bit of that entire album.