• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eminem Appreciation Thread

Teja.

Global Moderator
I admitted I made a mistake. How do you interpret that as arrogance? FYI I gathered the incorrect figures on the run and in my haste to post I didn't double check.

If you see that as "coming to a thread" and being "so colossally wrong and arrogant on top of that" then you are, once again, judging me as a person rather than arguing against my opinion.

So true zorax. And thanks for having the common decency not to have used my error as a weapon to attack me.

I could have simply ignored Sledger's request for a citation and avoided the subsequent attack from Teja. However, I'm old enough to admit when I've made a mistake. If that is perceived as a character flaw it is a flaw I can live with.
Honestly, do you not consider the below post from you arrogant? Not even a little bit?

The "trash" you refer to has sold far more albums than your precious Eminem and Deborah Harry is far more easy on the eye. I apologise for the history lesson and my attempt to lift the musical standard of this thread but you offered to teach me something about rap when I already knew all I needed to know.

mr_mister

He's certainly guilty of misogny which L & L probably should have focused on in his criticism.

Kim is a tough song to listen to and I pretty much can't even if I'm meant to view it as a fictional story or something.

I still like his edgy stuff but that's just too much. I can't even privately enjoy it in a 'he's saying what we're all thinking way!' it's more just a please get therapy and leave your ex wife alone dude reaction

Songs of his songs I do really like though(plenty of them also very offensive)

Brain Damage
My fault
Drug Ballad
Guilty conscience
Role Model
Kill you
The way I am
Criminal
Business

Line and Length

Honestly, do you not consider the below post from you arrogant? Not even a little bit?
I'll concede - it was incorrect at the outset (re sales) and my debating style can be aggressive. If aggression = arrogance then you are right.
I was simply trying to attack the subject of the thread, not the posters involved.

Perhaps I should leave it at that and depart - but not with my tail between my legs.

Take care!

Line and Length

If you believe that culture and music can be so simplistically delineated, I rather suspect you do not understand either of the two.
I can't leave without response to that jibe.

I have clearly stated that, after reading relative articles, rap has its foundation in a culture. (Fact)
I also stated that I find nothing particularly musical about rap. (Opinion)

If you see my delineating a fact and my opinion as being a lack of understanding of both culture and music then that is an inaccurate perception.

Line and Length

That is not what I've said and you know it.

I have connected the foundations of rap to a culture. Just because I don't enjoy rap or perceive it as musical doesn't mean I'm saying
"Here be music, and here be culture"
. That is utter nonsense and the only
"fundamentally crap position"
is your attempt to engage me in some sort of debate.

zorax

likes this
He's certainly guilty of misogny which L & L probably should have focused on in his criticism.

Kim is a tough song to listen to and I pretty much can't even if I'm meant to view it as a fictional story or something.

I still like his edgy stuff but that's just too much. I can't even privately enjoy it in a 'he's saying what we're all thinking way!' it's more just a please get therapy and leave your ex wife alone dude reaction

Songs of his songs I do really like though(plenty of them also very offensive)

Brain Damage
My fault
Drug Ballad
Guilty conscience
Role Model
Kill you
The way I am
Criminal
Business
Solid list.

Uppercut

Haha it's weird how jarring I find it now to hear someone say they don't like rap. It used to be a completely mundane opinion, now it's like hearing someone say they don't like music.

Not liking whole artforms just means you enjoy life less. I'm always a bit disappointed with myself when I can't get into a musical genre. Feels like I'm missing out.

If we're counting 'featuring' credits the best Eminem song was Forgot about Dre.

Dan

Global Moderator
As for the topic of the thread rather than the meta-discussion, I’ve always been on the fence with Eminem. There’s a good chunk of his stuff that I enjoy listening to (admittedly typically the bigger songs or singles with featured artists plainly designed for radio play), but I find when there’s not quite that level of radio listen-ability I start to struggle with putting aside the lyrical content.

Dan

Global Moderator
So what you're actually saying is... if you don't like it here, you should just leave...

Dan channelling his inner James today.
Let’s just say there’s a reason why I don’t post in the umbrella and scarf appreciation thread. And it’s not just because I don’t have Platinum Lounge membership.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Let’s just say there’s a reason why I don’t post in the umbrella and scarf appreciation thread. And it’s not just because I don’t have Platinum Lounge membership.
Wait was this a thing?

Sounds like the kind of thing I would have made/enjoyed a great deal, but I can't remember it now.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
As for the topic of the thread rather than the meta-discussion, I’ve always been on the fence with Eminem. There’s a good chunk of his stuff that I enjoy listening to (admittedly typically the bigger songs or singles with featured artists plainly designed for radio play), but I find when there’s not quite that level of radio listen-ability I start to struggle with putting aside the lyrical content.
Yeah, a very distinct sound, but it's never really floated my boat. I think The Roots would be my favourite rap group.

Tom Halsey

I find Eminem quite frustrating. Clearly among the most talented rappers of all time, possibly the most talented, but his output, whilst there is a lot of good stuff, doesn't quite stack up with the talent on show IMO.

MMLP his best effort although as someone said above Kim is almost unlistenable. I thought MMLP2 was a very good return to form but I've not enjoyed much of his music since. Whilst technically very impressive, much of it sacrifices the flow of his words and general listenability for the technical feat of fitting in as many rhyming syllables to a line as possible. He's sort of done the opposite of selling out in that sense.

He put out a compilation album a few years back featuring some new and some old stuff, and one of the things that stood out is that of the 'new' songs, the one I enjoyed by far the most was an old version of Lose Yourself which he'd written with completely different lyrics to the final version and then apparently forgotten about. It was far more listenable than the new music, however technically impressive it was.

Uppercut

I'll concede - it was incorrect at the outset (re sales) and my debating style can be aggressive. If aggression = arrogance then you are right.
I was simply trying to attack the subject of the thread, not the posters involved.

Perhaps I should leave it at that and depart - but not with my tail between my legs.

Take care!
The arrogance is in experiencing an art form, not feeling anything, and diagnosing the problem as "this whole art form is mindlessly simplistic" rather than "I'm not capable of understanding what's good about this art form".

Tom Halsey

Yeah, a very distinct sound, but it's never really floated my boat. I think The Roots would be my favourite rap group.
The Roots are fantastic. In fact to link to the topic at hand by far my favourite song on Eminem's latest album is one featuring Black Thought. His verse is the best on the whole album.