• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC rule changes due to covid

Spark

Global Moderator

Someone tell me why #4 (and maybe to a lesser extent #3) shouldn't become permanent so I can tell them how wrong they are and to stop being wrong.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think all bar #1 (which I despise, but I'll cop to get them back out there) should be permanent. Spitting on the ball in general seems a bit anachronistic to me. I'm all for the artificial substance they've been working on replace it though -- hopefully it'll make the ball reverse swing more rather than less.

duffer

I think all bar #1 (which I despise, but I'll cop to get them back out there) should be permanent. Spitting on the ball in general seems a bit anachronistic to me. I'm all for the artificial substance they've been working on replace it though -- hopefully it'll make the ball reverse swing more rather than less.
Didn't know about the new artificial substance thing. All rule changes fine by me then

Starfighter

Didn't know about the new artificial substance thing. All rule changes fine by me then
Pretty sure they've said they're not using it. Sweat only.

Only no. 4 should be permanent. No. 5 can die in a fire.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It hasn't been approved yet by the new rules, and I have no idea what sort of stage it's at in development. I'm optimistically hoping it's awesome though.

Flem274*

123/5
im not sure no spit will affect reverse much. big reverse seems to be caused by ball tampering, really abrasive conditions or hilarious accidents where the ball gets bunged in some reverse creating way.

i see these rules reviving the mccullum era nz strategy of complain about the ball as soon as it stops swinging and manipulate the umpires into giving you one that hoops (don't tell me it was that generation of balls constantly going out of shape, the other nations weren't having the same number of ball issues nz claimed to have).

honestbharani

Why is #5 even a thing now? They expect more sponsorship money given cricket is one of the few sports to go ahead or something?

Flem274*

123/5
tbf #1 could shut the entire test down the next day. if one player has it, some of the others are about to have it. may as well not have the rule because the inevitable will occur when the results return.

harsh.ag

Why is #5 even a thing now? They expect more sponsorship money given cricket is one of the few sports to go ahead or something?
Think it might be to contribute for the loss of revenue from tickets plus the increased safety costs of putting on the show

GoodAreasShane

1 really doesn't sit well with me at all, what is considered "displaying symptoms" frankly seems completely arbitrary, can't see it being anything other than a mess that rule

Howe_zat

1 really doesn't sit well with me at all, what is considered "displaying symptoms" frankly seems completely arbitrary, can't see it being anything other than a mess that rule
Largely agree, it relies on an awful lot of good faith both for the symptoms and the replacement being 'like for like'. Want rid of that one asap.

Bijed

With #1 is it "you're allowed to swap if you want" or is it that anyone displaying symptoms is automatically removed from the game and the team is 'allowed' a replacement in the interests of maintaining the contest?

honestbharani

I think it is because most countries have a rule that if you are even tested for covid, you have to be in quarantine at least till the results come out.

SteveNZ

With #1 is it "you're allowed to swap if you want" or is it that anyone displaying symptoms is automatically removed from the game and the team is 'allowed' a replacement in the interests of maintaining the contest?
I don't expect anyone to flaunt it because the fallout would be incredible, but might be tempting to sub out a poorly-performing player or one not suited to the game condition by telling them to develop a sneeze and a cough.

TheJediBrah

im not sure no spit will affect reverse much. big reverse seems to be caused by ball tampering, really abrasive conditions or hilarious accidents where the ball gets bunged in some reverse creating way.

i see these rules reviving the mccullum era nz strategy of complain about the ball as soon as it stops swinging and manipulate the umpires into giving you one that hoops (don't tell me it was that generation of balls constantly going out of shape, the other nations weren't having the same number of ball issues nz claimed to have).
Don't necessarily agree with this. recent history shows us that something to help shine the ball, eg. sugar/lollies helps reverse more than artificially roughing it up, eg. sandpaper

Why is the number of reviews increasing a thing?
My first thought too. Only thing I can come up with is to counteract whinging about the non-neutral umpires

Daemon

Largely agree, it relies on an awful lot of good faith both for the symptoms and the replacement being 'like for like'. Want rid of that one asap.
Replacements being like for like are down to the judgement of the match referee, the process will be identical to concussion subs.

The Smith to Labu substitution is probably going to remain the most like to like replacement ever possible.